Ghostbusters (2016)

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Ghostbusters 2 was fantastic you heathen.

"Johnny, where in the hell are you from anyway?"
"The upper vest side?"
I re-watched Ghostbusters 2 recently and really enjoyed it. Doesn't change the fact that it wasn't that well-received. Assuming "being true to its roots" would automatically mean a billion dollars today seems like a big assumption to me, since doing exactly that didn't bring them the success they had hoped for the two times they already tried it.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
You left out the most important part. After the movie did you get to unload your proton pack into her nether region?
You better fucking believe I did after she made me sit through this piece of shit.
Where's my Overwatch homie? Done with it already?
frown.png
Man I haven't played ANY games lately. We'll have to hit up some OW though I really want to try old lady healer that just came out. I'll probably be on later tonight around 9ish EST.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That kind of thing is common in modern comedies. You just start filming and let everyone riff for a while.

It's usually terrible.
Deadpool comes to mind as a recent notable exception. Tons of riffing in it.

But you're right, it usually hugs nuts.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I re-watched Ghostbusters 2 recently and really enjoyed it. Doesn't change the fact that it wasn't that well-received. Assuming "being true to its roots" would automatically mean a billion dollars today seems like a big assumption to me, since doing exactly that didn't bring them the success they had hoped for the two times they already tried it.
Sometimes the time just isn't right for a sequel.

That said, GB2 did better than the reboot on opening weekend. GB2 did 28 million(or about 55 million inflation adjusted) across 2400 screens. The reboot was on just under 4000 screens and maybe cracked 50 million. GB2 should've waited about 10 more years to let the nostalgia build up a bit.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i cant believe that the Big Lebowski is closing in on 20 years, that movie to me was an instant classic. 21 jumpstreet was pretty good, i still havent seen the sequel, but eventually i will catch it from the beginning on cable. i cant really compare lebowski to it though. different kinds of humor. 21 jumpstreet is like an apatow stoner flick.
Interestingly enough, my wife and I went to Cinepolis to see Big Lebowski last night (they do Tuesday retro movies at the one in Santa Margarita) and there were 30 people there to see it. I poked my head into the two theatres showing Ghostbusters and there were 6 people collectively, all women. Ironically, Big Lebowski actually has a strong female feminist lead who is actually likeable and not a man hating walrus person.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
For all the bitching about this movie, I have heard some legitimate praise. But before I say anything, no, I have NOT seen this movie.

Anyway, Erik Nagel is a huge nerd culture fanboi, and he got a chance to see the movie before it was released. He hated it from the start because of the trailer, but said that it actually wasn't a bad movie. The biggest complaint was the constant "men are dumb, they couldn't do this!" attitude that was pushed in your face. However, he said if the exact same movie was made staring the original ghost busters cast, it would actually be good. Assuming you take out the men hating aspects. As far as the script goes, it's a well made ghost busters. He also said that black girl from SNL was actually pretty good in the movie. That horrible line they put in the trailer was funny once you saw the nuance behind it. It's hard to pull a funny moment and put it in a trailer like that.

So that's the review I've heard. Do with it what you want. This clip below is where I heard the review.

Xevy

Log Wizard
There's literally no "men are so dumb" jokes/comments from any of the GB in the movie except for the fact that Chris Hemsworth is incredibly, incredibly dumb. But that's part of his character more than it is some SJW thing. He's a Mimbo and he's honestly the best part of the entire movie.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There's literally no "men are so dumb" jokes/comments.
You mean aside from them literally shooting the final ghost in the dick? There was not a single positive male character in this entire movie. Its like Lifetime made this movie for its channel.

The half in the bag guys had it right. Everyone involved with this was desperate for something. Feig (and apparently some of the core cast) were desperate to push their agenda while bashing the core nostalgia audience. Sony desperately wants some sort of mega movie franchise. The media is desperate for easy click bait. That Mama's House stunt double reject was desperate to get the kind of exposure Wiig and McCarthy get. The whole thing reeked of desperation.

The high points? Hemsworth actually did well with the material he was given. The steampunky take on the gear felt a lot like the retro feel of the original gear but for the modern era (80s style lasers in 2016 instead of 1950s sci fi gizmos in 1984). And I actually was okay with the scientist chick, because at least she remained consistent and semi-believable (as a crazy muff diver with no social skills) in the role she was handed. Nothing else in this movie was redeemable.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
At least in The Heat, the guy deserved it. And while most of the men were dopey or evil, there were some exceptions (Tom Wilson the police chief, the albino IA guy, the tech guy who was interested in SB's character) and spy felt largely the same way. Bbut I think you might be right and those examples might have occurred simply on accident. Can't really tell how much of Feig's work is sniffing blue hair tranny gash or just cynical pandering to get paid.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The "all the guys were assholes" thing isn't just about the guys. Literally every character except the ghostbusters were assholes except Michael McDonald and Ed Begley Jr. Cecily strong was a woman and she was a bitch. It wasn't about men vs women it was the GB vs everyone doubting them and creating resistance to drive the story. It's basically every movie ever.

The dick shot was great, especially in the context and they never even mentioned it except Leslie Jones saying "Were we supposed to shoot him there?" and McCarthy saying "Yeah."

You guys are looking way too hard to find men vs women shit and it's mostly not there. I bet if you looked back at almost every movie ever made most of the white guys are bad guys! Fucking BLM movies, man!

Edit: Oh they did make fun of Rowan being a weird nerdy geeky guy and called him a virgin. Maybe that counts if you're looking for it? Rowan also said they "shoot like girls" at one point.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The "all the guys were assholes" thing isn't just about the guys. Literally every character except the ghostbusters were assholes except Michael McDonald and Ed Begley Jr. Cecily strong was a woman and she was a bitch. It wasn't about men vs women it was the GB vs everyone doubting them and creating resistance to drive the story. It's basically every movie ever.

The dick shot was great, especially in the context and they never even mentioned it except Leslie Jones saying "Were we supposed to shoot him there?" and McCarthy saying "Yeah."

You guys are looking way too hard to find men vs women shit and it's mostly not there. I bet if you looked back at almost every movie ever made most of the white guys are bad guys! Fucking BLM movies, man!
Uh-huh. No blatant gender politics in making your only relevant male character the equivalent to the "objectified female bimbo" secretary trope, and have your antagonists shoot the boss mob in its dick. I mean c'mon..

khalid

Unelected Mod
You might not look into the movie for those things if there hadn't been the constant mentioning about grrl power and shit in the advertisement and attacks on the male fan base? Just maybe?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Jesus Christ who the fuck cares. It's a shit movie. Just don't go see it. There are a ton of movies that do the same shit with gender politics. On both sides. Just talk about how shit the movie is instead of pretending this is hurtful to men or some other pitiful, poor me bullshit.

"They busted the ghosts right in the balls! It's anti-male! Down with the matriarchy!". Goddamn.

You know how you make fun of all the morons who say stupid shit about the female characters in video games? You know how idiotic those people sound? Guess how you sound right now.

khalid

Unelected Mod
You know how you make fun of all the morons who say stupid shit about the female characters in video games?
Well, there is actually plenty of legitimate criticism about many female characters in gaming. It is when you see it everywhere that it becomes idiotic.

In the case of this movie, the makers of the movie literally are telling you the characters were created to stress grrl power. So I don't think it is idiotic at all to say "yeah, it actually is there".

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Jesus Christ who the fuck cares. It's a shit movie. Just don't go see it. There are a ton of movies that do the same shit with gender politics. On both sides. Just talk about how shit the movie is instead of pretending this is hurtful to men or some other pitiful, poor me bullshit.

"They busted the ghosts right in the balls! It's anti-male! Down with the matriarchy!". Goddamn.

You know how you make fun of all the morons who say stupid shit about the female characters in video games? You know how idiotic those people sound? Guess how you sound right now.
Hemsworth as some male bimbo doesn't bother me. Shooting a boss mob in the dick doesn't bother me. Dressing these two acts up under the banner of "we'll show those male misogynists who's boss" or "if you don't like this movie, you're a chauvinist pig" turns these events from innocuous popcorn humor into a hamfisted political statement. That bothers me.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hemsworth as some male bimbo doesn't bother me. Shooting a boss mob in the dick doesn't bother me. Dressing these two acts up under the banner of "we'll show those male misogynists who's boss" or "if you don't like this movie, you're a chauvinist pig" turns these events from innocuous popcorn humor into a hamfisted political statement. That bothers me.
The movie isn't good enough to be bothered by. If the earnings stay on their current trajectory, it will bust pretty hard, fade from theaters shortly and sequel talks will quietly be swept under the rug.

Until they reboot it in another 5 years with handicapped trannies as leads instead of women. DON'T GO GETTING IDEAS FROM THIS POST, SONY. IT WAS SARCASM.