Ghostbusters : Afterlife

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Real question is Dan Akroyd involved in this if it will be decent or not IMO - considering he was the primary writer in the first place. (And apparently his dad was a paranormal investigator type for real or some such weirdness?!?)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah I dont know.

first, I dont really trust Hollywood to understand what made Ghostbusters so good. hell they didn't even know back then with ghostbusters 2, which also missed the mark.

remakes, original movies... some weird stuff here. Based on a book, or based on a movie 30+ years ago, is a weird definition honestly. I know what you are saying but still. Pacific rim was original. Dredd was based on a comic. And also, not a reboot, or remake of the shitty previous movie. Making a movie off something will a well established fan base already is hardly original.

Dan akroyd. man look at his career. dude was always just all over the place. I don't trust him much really.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I had rented Ghostbusters a bunch of times as a kid and even at 9 I remember being disappointed with the sequel when I saw it in the theater. It's grown on me over time but I still don't understand why it is so goofy. The Real Ghostbusters cartoon was randomly holy fuck dark and it was those episodes that I liked the most. Ghostbusters 2 just wasn't anything like that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
ghostbusters 2 had some good moments, but the story stalled a lot during the movie so they could do goofy shit that had little to do with anything. they also hijacked several characters from the first movie. rick moranis went from being a little dweeb in the original to hooking up with the secretary in 2 who for no fucking reason seems to be batshit insane now. then sigourney weaver has a baby all of a sudden. what? when? who? then the ghostbusters themselves, at the end of ghostbusters they were the heroes of the city, then in part 2 they could only get jobs appearing at parties but venkman is a tv show host.

then you have the villain and the plot. i have seen the movie probably 4 times and im still not sure on it. there was an evil picture that wanted sigorney weaver's baby so he could be reborn as a human? there was a river of slime under the city that caused the evil picture to be evil or vice versa? anyway, the baby plot was fucking terrible. where did this baby come from and why should i care that an evil picture wants it? the movie was a goddamned mess, though i did like the courtroom scene and some other stuff. it doesnt make a good movie if it has no story to tie everything together.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
ghostbusters 2 had some good moments, but the story stalled a lot during the movie so they could do goofy shit that had little to do with anything. they also hijacked several characters from the first movie. rick moranis went from being a little dweeb in the original to hooking up with the secretary in 2 who for no fucking reason seems to be batshit insane now. then sigourney weaver has a baby all of a sudden. what? when? who? then the ghostbusters themselves, at the end of ghostbusters they were the heroes of the city, then in part 2 they could only get jobs appearing at parties but venkman is a tv show host. then you have the villain and the plot. i have seen the movie probably 4 times and im still not sure on it. there was an evil picture that wanted sigorney weaver's baby so he could be reborn as a human? there was a river of slime under the city that caused the evil picture to be evil or vice versa? anyway, the baby plot was fucking terrible. where did this baby come from and why should i care that an evil picture wants it? the movie was a goddamned mess, though i did like the courtroom scene and some other stuff. it doesnt make a good movie if it has no story to tie everything together.
Astro = lanx??

Caliane

see, the thing is. Hollywood thinks Ghostbusters is a comedy. and its really not. It takes itself entirely seriously, and plays it straight. and this is why it works.
Every ghost, save slimer was pretty much scary as fuck. not a cartoon at all. even him, in the first one, leaned more creepy.

you take comedians, stick them in a horror movie, and they react to it in amusing ways. Other movies do this too of course. Fright night. and its remake totally understood it too. And thats why the Fright night remake is easily one of the best remakes ever.

Ghostbusters 2 was really off the mark though. It didn't get it. It was a cartoon.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Ghostbusters 2 was really off the mark though. It didn't get it.It was a cartoon.
This might be why I think it's awesome. I haven't seen it in years, but it was an early childhood movie for me. I had a shitload of Ghostbusters toys. Pretty sure I was a Ghostbuster for Halloween multiple years in a row.

Caliane

you know, I was just thinking about it. and really there are some movies out there I think that get a similar tone. or tv shows.

like, I could see James Franco. Danny mcbride, craig Robinson(Daryl in the Office, and nick in Hot tub time machine.). I would trust them.

In general. Land of the lost, The office, Hot tub time machine these get the tone pretty close, although do lean more towards the cartoonish nature of 2 for Land of the lost, Hot tub time machine.
Hollywood probably could pull it off honestly.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
Every movie is going to flop in sales when you can wait two months and see it for a dollar at red box. Cheapest place around is 16 bucks for the family , with bonus of the attendants not giving a shit about carried in snacks

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I remember me and my best friend used to play Ghostbusters all the time, had the proton packs and everything. We would play at his house and we always pretended a ghost lived in this painting he had in his living room of a spanish conquistador (we were actually convinced it was haunted). Then Ghostbusters 2 came out and we saw it in the theaters and shit our pants.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the sad thing is ghostbusters could be rebooted, they fucked up the second one so they stopped right there also without murray in it there is no point, but if everyone was on board they could keep it going if they had a good story to go with it. i can see the ghostbusters busting up different types of supernaturals and maybe even at different locations other than NYC too. but what i dont think they could do is successfully reboot the series with weak B listers and the weaker original cast members. you will end up with a weak product even with a good story.

get murray in this movie, introduce a strong new lead (not jonah hill, more like will ferrell) get a real beefy story, hell even if it ends up with the originals dying at the end and the new guys taking over there is a potential for a kickass new life for the franchise.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I've watched the original Ghostbusters countless times. I saw Ghostbusters II in the theater and haveneverwatched it since. The plot was a major step down: went from saving the world to some ghost in a picture. Such a disappointment.

Anyway, I would love to see a "Return of Gozer" or something and introduce a new ghost busting team. Obviously have Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis do a cameo. These guys are so old and fat, though, I don't think I could see them being part of the main cast anymore.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah but the ghostbusters didnt really need to be super agile. they just pointed their ghostbuster boom sticks at stuff and reeled it in. the highpoint was murray's comic moments. the dude is still funny. who cares if everyone is a blimp now, it works better that way. they would want to be retiring and need more ghostbusters to help them out. they all need to have more than cameo appearances though, this has to be a full on oldschool ghostbuster movie. cameos just make you wish for the original film. you dont want your audience to be cockteased. id rather their B team be more like cameos.

for shits n gigs lets say the new guys, ferrell, rogan, hill and that funny heavyset black dude could pop in to help out through the film.then at the end when the OG ghostbusters die or quit then the new guys pick up their ecto packs and start busting ass. bam, then credit roll.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Holy shit, that's the worst idea I've ever heard for a movie... It's almost like you're actually a real Hollywood script writer... (Well actually second worst idea ie ever heard), Kevin smith's story about superman against the giant mechanical spider w/ the wild Wild West reveal at the end ranks up there too.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
wait, what was my idea for the movie? you think the original stars of the original movie coming back to star in the reboot and that at the end they pass the torch to the new guys is the worst idea since mechanical spiders?

ringer_sl

shitlord
[/QUOTE]Dan akroyd. man look at his career. dude was always just all over the place. I don't trust him much really.[/QUOTE]

Was never a big Aykroyd fan, especially after the abortion that was Blues Brothers 2000. I also can't see anything good coming from GB3, whether any of the original cast are involved or not. Just let the franchise be - unless it's perhaps another cartoon series, and then just maybe.