Godzilla Minus One (2023)

Szlia

Seen this at the theater when it came out here, still not sure what the "Minus One" means or refers to. lol
Great film, will be sure to watch this on prime when it drops.
I am not sure there is a coherent "canon" timeline for the Godzilla films, but at the very least this one is set before the events of the first film (toward the end of WWII and a little after VS contemporary to the first film release, so 1954). Why not Zero? Maybe they wanted to leave some room to squeeze another film between -1 and 1 ?

PS: I saw it a few weeks back and thought its attempt at being a serious drama just made it boring.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Seen this at the theater when it came out here, still not sure what the "Minus One" means or refers to. lol
Great film, will be sure to watch this on prime when it drops.

The teaser explains the title. At the end of WW2 Japan was at zero. Add Godzilla to the mix and they are at minus one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I am not sure there is a coherent "canon" timeline for the Godzilla films, but at the very least this one is set before the events of the first film (toward the end of WWII and a little after VS contemporary to the first film release, so 1954). Why not Zero? Maybe they wanted to leave some room to squeeze another film between -1 and 1 ?

PS: I saw it a few weeks back and thought its attempt at being a serious drama just made it boring.
In case you’re not aware, there are multiple timelines for the Godzilla films, MOST of the Japanese timelines assume Godzilla(54) occurs first

so the notable exceptions are Shin Godzilla, which is essentially Godzilla remade as a metaphor for government bureaucracy obstructions in disasters and Godzilla Minus One, which is a pure remake of 54