Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (2017)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah was going to day, they definitely had the Exif helping the humans build a Mecha Godzilla, but they couldn't get it completed in time/it didn't work when they powered it up.

It was... alright, but definitely didn't have the normal godzilla feel at all. Him just fighting the military on a random planet with no other monsters f'n with him(?) and no cities to blow up/watch get destroyed doesn't feel very godzilla-ish. I'd watch the second part, but I'm not sure I would actively recommend this to anyone. I'll see where it goes since I've already watched the first, but don't think it is really worth starting someone else there.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
By doing it in animation you open yourself up to lots of possibilities in terms of visceral imagery and action that would be prohibitively expensive to film. So, naturally, most of the movie consists of people talking and whining about how Earth belongs to humans (despite humans only being 1/3 of the population)

Also the whole "let's settle on the moon" idea is far more intelligent than 90% of the actions they take yet they dismiss it quickly.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So the third part of this series is now available on Netflix and it wraps up the trilogy. It makes a lot more sense than the other two films and helps actually frame the other two properly along the way. I think that this whole thing was still more than a bit of a missed opportunity as there is a lot more they could have done with this art style.

Note that even though this is the end of the trilogy there is still a post credit scene.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Okay, so I'm staying at home from work for 2 weeks, just finished week one, still another to go.

So I decided to watch these films, I've never been a big anime fan. More due to this being a Godzilla series of films. It feels like a missed opportunity, to explain, the visual style and the ways in which it was done looked fantastic. So many shots looked like moving artwork. But the plot and the script just let it down. It would go for ages without seeing Godzilla on screen. Some of the battle stuff ( when they happened ) was good and entertaining sure, but outside of that it was a grind. As I was halfway through the third film, I had a conversation with myself, along the lines of:

This is a trilogy, right? so when this ends, that's it. It's not like there's a fourth one of these still to be released, because I want to get to the end of this and have a conclusion.

A few points in spoilers:

- When those young native twin girls showed up, I thought these are 10 - 12 years old girls . . . oh no, the friendship leads to sex and then we see one pregnant. Japan just cant avoid being Japan
- Silly thing with the ending of the third film, having what seemed like an ending, as the 'spaceship' humans were becoming a part of the native tribe. I really did like how that was going, just regress into the older ways and be happy with that. But then scientist guy proudly tells how he's getting the vulture back and working so Hauro (sp?) has to destroy it, and himself to finish on a downer.
- That Alien race that had partly built Mecha-Godzilla, they were the Bilusando (sp?) . Was there some oversight by the producers, but I am sure they were all male. So makes their sacrifice, being absorbed by nano-metal / becoming part of the computerized city, seem like a pretty okay/obvious option as their species was headed to extinction anyway.
- The dialogue as things were happening was terrible, there'd be some character calling out an explaination of what was happening all of the time, even shit that we knew from a briefing or plan of attack we saw only a minute earlier.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
If you haven't watched it (Anime style), you NEED to see Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. It's the best.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I worked with a girl that did one of the english voiceovers for this and the sequel. Even that connection couldn't make me last more than 15 minutes into it. Fucking terrible.