Gold Box Classics

Izo

Tranny Chaser
1658573263037.jpeg

1658572867466.jpeg

How did I miss these? On sale atm. Far away from my pc. Anyone with a steam device playing them?
Pretty sure I played the Krynn series at some point after seing them on my friends amiga 2000. His big brother painted minis too, man we so looked up to the older siblings, hah.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Awesome games back in the day. Spent a good chunk of the 90s playing through those. Apart from the ravenloft and unlimited adventures I think I owned and finished every game on that list. Amusingly it was a non D&D SSI game (countdown to doomsday) that was the first one I got originally which kicked off the fad I had with these wonderful gold box games for the next 5+ years.
I haven't played any of them in probably 2.5 decades and I don't plan to - I never get that magic feeling back when trying old games again.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've got most of these but on GOG instead of steam. I'm most familiar with the Krynn series as well but they are all good. Some of them are weird (like Hilsfar) but they introduced me to the CRPG (actually played these first before I ever touched Ultima or Might and Magic). I also have the Amiga versions via emulation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
playing Ravenloft using RAW during 2nd edition AD&D was such a brutal experience. I still have my Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet discs around here somewhere, along with Menzoberranzan.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Pools of Radiance series still holds up pretty well, just some parts are a slog. I mean the graphics are ancient, but the AI and balance is all there. I actually ran through these a year or two ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good they still were.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Absolutely fantastic games. Played these on an Apple 2 GS 😀

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Loved the DL, DS games and the pools of radiance games. Probably will throw money bat this too. Nice.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Otto

So many memories. I started these on the C64 then Amiga. My dad had two 1541 drives for his C64 and they would heat up the den while playing Pools. Barely remember a large battle with orcs in some castle that took ten to fifteen minutes each turn for the enemy to make their move. Drive would be making clunking sounds while getting hotter and hotter.

I really hope they can figure out the licensing hell the Buck Rogers games that use the Gold Box engine are in. Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed were awesome.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Absolutely fantastic games. Played these on an Apple 2 GS 😀
Lmao same, I still have mine(the 2GS). I still fire up Zany Golf, Keef the Thief, Battle Chess, RoadWar 2000 etc. I know I can emulate 2gs on my pc but more fun to fire up the old machine for nostalgia magic.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Lmao same, I still have mine(the 2GS). I still fire up Zany Golf, Keef the Thief, Battle Chess, RoadWar 2000 etc. I know I can emulate 2gs on my pc but more fun to fire up the old machine for nostalgia magic.

Those were the days :) Sierra games too - and I cannot tell you how much time I had in Wings of Fury :p And when things got really serious, the old Mac SE where it was Falcon, PT-109, Deja Vu, Uninvited, Deja Vu 2, and Shadowgate.

Random video attachment.

That guy sucks! :p

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Those were the days :) Sierra games too - and I cannot tell you how much time I had in Wings of Fury :p And when things got really serious, the old Mac SE where it was Falcon, PT-109, Deja Vu, Uninvited, Deja Vu 2, and Shadowgate.

Random video attachment.

That guy sucks! :p
Holy shit Broderbunds Wings of Fury was soo damn good It took me forever to learn how to land to reup my bombs/rockets. Sierra games for sure between the Kings Quest series, Space Quests, Leisure Suit Larry, California Games(hackey sack champ lol) etc. I also really liked the Police Quest games and of course Ultima, Might and Magic, Wizardry, Bard's Tale. Such fucking awesome memories, so nice to be not jaded back then haha.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
No lie, the Ultima games turned me into a Gamer.
I didn't feel like I HAD to upgrade my computer until a new Ultima was coming out. For example,
I bought my first "expensive" sound card when Ultima VII came out so I could hear the Guardian
speak. "Poor Avatar. Poor, poor Avatar." lol

That being said... I've tried to go back and play the old games, and I just can't do it. heh

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Otto

I didn't feel like I HAD to upgrade my computer until a new Ultima was coming out. For example,
I bought my first "expensive" sound card when Ultima VII came out so I could hear the Guardian

That being said... I've tried to go back and play the old games, and I just can't do it. heh
Ultima 3 was my first RPG. My dad bought it for me when we picked up our Commodore 64 at Gemco in late 83. It was ages ago but I still remember the look on my mom's face when she saw the box cover.

356218-exodus-ultima-iii-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Ultima 7 was one of the main reason I switched from Amiga to PC. Took forever for me to make a boot disk that had enough memory for mouse and sound drivers because of U7's crazy Voodoo memory manager.

• 3Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ultima 3 was my first RPG. My dad bought it for me when we picked up our Commodore 64 at Gemco in late 83. It was ages ago but I still remember the look on my mom's face when she saw the box cover.

View attachment 425441

Ultima 7 was one of the main reason I switched from Amiga to PC. Took forever for me to make a boot disk that had enough memory for mouse and sound drivers because of U7's crazy Voodoo memory manager.

Haha holy shit, boot disks. Man, those were the days.

U7 was cool.

• 4Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I still remember using memmaker to squeeze every bit of conventional ram out of my 640k :p

Then we had to deal with Extended vs Expanded.

Throwing sound blaster drivers in high mem, etc. Good times just to get Wing Commander to run.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Yeah there is no going back, it just destroys your good memories.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
crazy Voodoo memory manager.
My boss at digital anvil wrote that :emoji_laughing:

He said it was a huge mistake and they should have just paid for that dos extender everyone else was using. Dos4GW I think?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still remember using memmaker to squeeze every bit of conventional ram out of my 640k :p

Then we had to deal with Extended vs Expanded.

Throwing sound blaster drivers in high mem, etc. Good times just to get Wing Commander to run.
The most trouble I had trying to get a game to work was Spelljammer on my first proper pc after my IIe and IIGS days. It had mem issues and holes galore. It was so fucking wonky that I ended up getting it to boot by following instructions in the back of COMPUTE! magazine which also had those type-in(i think is the proper name) games too. They were in like hexidecimal, basic and machine etc.

Oh damn I totally forgot about how amazing Wing Commande 1-4 was with proper DLC lol and especially Privateer one and 2. My life for a new version of Wing Commander Privateer/Freelancer/Starlancer Freespace 2. All we get is fuck Roberts money pit which will never be finished. Such a waste. Also why has no one made a new version of Sid Meiers Pirates for that matter. That game was like crack when it first came out and during its one re-release/make. A modern version would kill.

There was nothing better than finding a hitherto unheard of game at Software ETC or Babbages and heading home reading the manual. A close second was the wonder of going to like the convention center in Parsippany, NJ where they had pc software and game dealers twice a year with my pops.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Truth!