Gold Box Classics

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I live in Dallas, and WAY back when I was a kid there was this underground market that met once a month (first Saturday, maybe?) at like midnight in a shady part of town. Folks would come out with tables and shit to sell stuff-- hardware, software, etc. It was where you went to find Linux distros both popular and fan-made, and also a slew of software that had been cracked, burned to disc, and bagged in those plastic sandwich bags. You could even buy the cracking software. lol

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The most trouble I had trying to get a game to work was Spelljammer on my first proper pc after my IIe and IIGS days. It had mem issues and holes galore. It was so fucking wonky that I ended up getting it to boot by following instructions in the back of COMPUTE! magazine which also had those type-in(i think is the proper name) games too. They were in like hexidecimal, basic and machine etc.

Oh damn I totally forgot about how amazing Wing Commande 1-4 was with proper DLC lol and especially Privateer one and 2. My life for a new version of Wing Commander Privateer/Freelancer/Starlancer Freespace 2. All we get is fuck Roberts money pit which will never be finished. Such a waste. Also why has no one made a new version of Sid Meiers Pirates for that matter. That game was like crack when it first came out and during its one re-release/make. A modern version would kill.

There was nothing better than finding a hitherto unheard of game at Software ETC or Babbages and heading home reading the manual. A close second was the wonder of going to like the convention center in Parsippany, NJ where they had pc software and game dealers twice a year with my pops.
Awesome times. I used to work at Software Etc in high school - was a blast. Especially since we had a 30 day check out program and I could take any game home with me and copy it lol.

Privateer 1 and 2, oh man what I wouldn't give to see a new version of that. Elite Dangerous, while decent, still doesn't hold a candle to the privateer series. I still have my Wing Commander 3 and 4 discs. Those were the days. Wing commander, privateer, X Wing, Tie Fighter, Xwing Alliance - before that we were all stuck playing Trade Wars on BBS's.

Speaking of BBS's, Operation Overkill was something I spent WAY too much time in.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I feel bad for my part in turning this thread into a memories thread but damn the nostalgia feels are good.
Awesome times. I used to work at Software Etc in high school - was a blast. Especially since we had a 30 day check out program and I could take any game home with me and copy it lol.

Privateer 1 and 2, oh man what I wouldn't give to see a new version of that. Elite Dangerous, while decent, still doesn't hold a candle to the privateer series. I still have my Wing Commander 3 and 4 discs. Those were the days. Wing commander, privateer, X Wing, Tie Fighter, Xwing Alliance - before that we were all stuck playing Trade Wars on BBS's.

Speaking of BBS's, Operation Overkill was something I spent WAY too much time in.
I am so sorry Izo Izo for my part in derailing but can't help it atm.

Elite was solid but Privateer was way more fun. Its pared down to deliver fun constantly basically whereas Elite wants the full simulation. Elite is an incredibly thorough experience though no doubt.

I came a little late to super early online gaming due to my folks taking my modems away after a few incidents including one with the Marshals. I was very "interested" to see what all I could find and where all I could go but my buddy(almost neighbor) was a real wiz. Luckily it was truly the wild west so nothing much came of it besides my folks being a bit frightened and not letting me go online from home for a year. These were the days of the Morris worm and "Dark Dante" and we didn't do anything on those levels. We just poked and prodded.

In any event do any of y'all remember Trade Wars or Trade Wars 2002 those were up real early. I also remember PimpWars, Murder Motel and Netrunner which was dope as hell.

On topic with this thread Izo Izo have you ever tried Lionheart: Legacy of the Creator? It was a mess of bugs when it first came out but it has gotten patched up nicely by fans etc since then. It even has a widescreen patch. It came out in 2003 made by Black Isle Studios/Reflexive Studios/Interplay. Its much more advanced than the Gold Box games but if you have never heard of it you might give it a shot. Its much closer to Baldurs than Gold Box but still I think folks will dig it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve tried playing some really old stuff but can’t. Usually just watch some playthrough on YouTube for 20 minutes and it’s good for nostalgia.

I remember playing PoR with my dad on his C64. Had multiple 5.5 floppies, every time you had to load one it took several minutes. Remember he’d have me sit at the computer while the disks loaded to tell him when it was done. He’d go wash a few dishes then come back when I yelled it was done. Remember all his chores and cooking and shit he’d do that way while we played lol

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users