Goldsboro Revisited or: How I learned to Mistrust the H-Bomb

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
A secret document, published in declassified form for the first time by the Guardian today, reveals that the US Air Force came dramatically close to detonating an atom bomb over North Carolina that would have been 260 times more powerful than the device that devastated Hiroshima...

...Though there has been persistent speculation about how narrow the Goldsboro escape was, the US government has repeatedly publicly denied that its nuclear arsenal has ever put Americans' lives in jeopardy through safety flaws. But in the newly-published document, a senior engineer in the Sandia national laboratories responsible for the mechanical safety of nuclear weapons concludes that "one simple, dynamo-technology, low voltage switch stood between the United States and a major catastrophe".

Writing eight years after the accident, Parker F Jones found that the bombs that dropped over North Carolina, just three days after John F Kennedy made his inaugural address as president, were inadequate in their safety controls and that the final switch that prevented disaster could easily have been shorted by an electrical jolt, leading to a nuclear burst. "It would have been bad news ? in spades," he wrote.

[Jones found that of the four safety mechanisms in the Faro bomb, designed to prevent unintended detonation, three failed to operate properly. When the bomb hit the ground, a firing signal was sent to the nuclear core of the device, and it was only that final, highly vulnerable switch that averted calamity]

Jones dryly entitled his secret report "Goldsboro Revisited or: How I learned to Mistrust the H-Bomb" ? a quip on Stanley Kubrick's 1964 satirical film about nuclear holocaust...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-carolina-1961

Szlia

What were they testing with an operational H-Bomb not meant to explode that they could not test with something else?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm thinking it was an accident, not a test. They don't intentionally drop intact nukes in an area where it would be unacceptable for it to go off.

conexes

Molten Core Raider
So this story confirms that 50 some odd years ago, nothing bad happened? Thanks low-voltage dynamo switch!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
North Carolina! C'mon and blow up
Take your radiated shirt off, twist it 'round yo head
Spin it like a helicopter

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
How "highly vulnerable" was this switch if it did it's job and prevented an explosion after hitting the ground? Sounds like it worked as intended as a fourth line of defense, and this is a pile of hyperbole.

iannis

Musty Nester
A secret document, published in declassified form for the first time by the Guardian today, reveals that the US Air Force came dramatically close to detonating an atom bomb over North Carolina
The bombs fell to earth after a B-52 bomber broke up in mid-air, and one of the devices behaved precisely as a nuclear weapon was designed to behave in warfare: its parachute opened, its trigger mechanisms engaged, and only one low-voltage switch prevented untold carnage.
Headline implies intent. Body reveals transportation disaster. Sounds like the safeties worked and the safeties in those early generation bombs were not as sophisticated as we may have liked.

So basically if a thunderstorm had come along and lightning had struck nearby, Goldsboro BOOM.

The entire story is, "Safety measures in early generation atomic weapons could have failed. Didn't."

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
What sucks the most about this story is we missed the chance to have our own Zone within which to base an American STALKER game.

iannis

Musty Nester
You can kinda do that around Butner if you want to. It's largely untouched forest. A mix of pine and hardwoods. The governors "the sky is falling" house is out there, as are a max security federal prison. A min security prison too.

And lots of silos. Lots and lots of underground silos. The story goes that if you take a geiger counter out into the woods you can find places that will tick. I've never done it and I assume it's just a story... but you never know.

Cybsled

History is littered with tons of moments where today would resemble the Fallout series. Most of it was due to virtue of pure luck or individuals who wanted to make extra, extra sure WW3 wasn't about to start.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
How "highly vulnerable" was this switch if it did it's job and prevented an explosion after hitting the ground? Sounds like it worked as intended as a fourth line of defense, and this is a pile of hyperbole.
I think the most important point is that the single switch could have been shorted around (or shorted in itself) and resulted in a detonation, had it been damaged during the in-air breakup or had there been one of your "normal" sort of electrical shorts. For all intents and purposes the bomb itself reacted as though it had actually been dropped purposely, which (obviously) one wouldn't want to happen, as the rest of the safeguards were bypassed. As for the switch being called "vulnerable", I'm assuming that when he said "dynamo-technology" that he just meant that it was low-tech in a sense, and the following story about the switch being shorted past in another incident with a B-47 and Mk 28s (in my spoiler) just serves to highlight that due to how the bombs were designed, that a single short during such an accident (or even a switch being hit and actuated by flying debris) might have resulted in a mushroom cloud.

I'm assuming that this is also why Jones in his short report stated that in such an accident the ready/safe switch was the"only effective safing device during airborne alert"as the other safeguards seem to have been bypassed by the bomb itself reacting as if it had been purposely dropped, and only having a single effective safeguard on a nuke when using it on bombers like this does beg the question of what would have happened should that singular effective safeguard have failed.

Maybe we can have someone else who is familiar with the topic comment (Toemissile?) but I do want to archive some of the documents that were referred to in most of these articles but not provided:

kxGZO43.jpg

rrr_img_44321.jpg

It's also odd that the one book excerpt above says that the core was never recovered, but this interview says that it was. Also odd was the mention of "a" switch on the bomb itself being set to ready/arm while elsewhere it's mentioned as being in the cockpit.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/r...ear-bombs.html
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/b...e-nuclear.html

Fadaar

That guy
<-- look at my location

Thanks Air Force for sending me to the base with a live nuke within vapor distance. Also, this story is no secret at all, hell I've known about it since I got here three years ago and someone told me about it. However I guess since the documents surrounding it have been declassified everyone cares now.