Google Fiber Heading to Austin, TX

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Time to move to Austin!

Is google fiber fully deployed in Kansas City? How fast are people downloading shit at? I'd be blown away if I actually got 1gb download speeds.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Time to move to Austin!

Is google fiber fully deployed in Kansas City? How fast are people downloading shit at? I'd be blown away if I actually got 1gb download speeds.
It has been deployed to a handful of the areas they planned so far. Still got another 18 months or so before they get to the last areas that signed up.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Google fiber is nowhere close to fully deployed in KC. The original signups for Google Fiber covered roughly 5% of the KC metro population, and they don't even have anywhere near half of those installed yet. So if I had to guess, somewhere between 1% and 3% of the KC Metro population has current access to Google Fiber

Austin is going to be waiting a LONG, long time before it's widely available, if KC is any indication.

As dioblaire mentioned above, Google is still 18 months out from fully servicing that first 5% of the city. At the rate they are going it'll take more than a decade to fully deploy in KC, more like 2 decades(so basically never)

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bah been waiting on this fiber train for awhile I was pretty excited that google was out building but it sounds like it just ploy for eyeballs. As it seem Verizon who dump a lot dough into it has scrap any outbuilding. Instead to focus on there doomed wireless spectrum and cheap lte solutions.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm fairly certain that it was primarly just a feint by Google to try to scare the bigger telecom & cable companies into going forward with high bandwith fiber connections.

So far, no one is biting in Kansas City, I've heard no plans of any other companies(we have Time Warner, Comcast, and all the cell/phone companies locally. Hell, Sprints national HQ is here) having any plans to move forward with fiber service. We don't even have Verizon Fios or anything of that sort. AT&T U-verse covers *maybe* 20% of the metro area, maybe not even that much.

I live in the suburbs about 20 miles from where Google Fiber is currently available, I've basically accepted the fact that I'll never see it available where I live.

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Whatever happened to Google using the old TV bandwidth to make high speed reliable wireless internet?
No such thing as wireless and reliable along with high speed even if you take the theoretical max speed of wireless a basic fiber line is still 66% faster. Physics blah shannons law blah more tech.

I'm firm believer fios is the way of the future it how we get to the smart planet people like too talk about and its the catalyst for the next pc/ it boom.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
austin has better network infrastructure than kansas city.
I definitely wouldn't doubt that. And Austin probably isn't nearly as spread out as the KC metro area. KC is one of the largest cities in the country as far as land mass goes. Kansas City itself is in 5 different counties across 2 states. Our airport is at the north end of the metro area, and there are people who easily live over 90 minutes away from it that still consider themselves to be in the KC metro. Has to cost a fortune to get fiber to spread out that far.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I definitely wouldn't doubt that. And Austin probably isn't nearly as spread out as the KC metro area. KC is one of the largest cities in the country as far as land mass goes. Kansas City itself is in 5 different counties across 2 states. Our airport is at the north end of the metro area, and there are people who easily live over 90 minutes away from it that still consider themselves to be in the KC metro. Has to cost a fortune to get fiber to spread out that far.
Austin is extremely spread out mainly due to geography and slso the stupid hippies. They should have come to Dallas first, could reach a much larger base of people over small areas.