Google Glass

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, people are up in arms thateverythingyou do in a public place will bevastlymore likely to be recorded, transcribed, cataloged, indexed, searchable, and retrievableforever. Did you even readthat article?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Like all the surveillance cameras on every corner of every city in the world ?

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are you talking about the surveillance cameras that also record audio, transcribe the audio into easily searchable text, organize the transcriptions according to the real-life identity of the persons in the video, and make the contents a part of a permanent searchable archive?

Taloo_sl

shitlord
more likely
I fail to see the issue. People can Chicken Little (can I use that as a verb?) all they want but welcome to the future. It's going to happen stop begin a bitch and get over it.

Anyone who is going to stalk, rape, and murder someone (insert your own scenario) can already do it. I think the main disconnect I have with the people who find this objectionable is that I realize that no one in the world gives a fuck what I do or where I go on my average day unless they were already planning to rape/murder me anyways. No one gives a shit about you, where you are, where you're going, who you meet, or what you say. No one. Not even your family because they hate you.

**Edit
"You" being everyone who reads this, not just the gentleman I quoted. Was a little unclear.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I tend to agree. It's like people who won't put pictures of their kids on the internet as if some pedophile is going to see the picture and be all "I must find this child and molest him even though I don't know who he is or where he lives!". Pedophiles molest their own relatives or people who live nearby them, they don't go on quests for random kids because they saw a picture on the internet.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
People who want to sell me things do.
People who want to police me do.
Directed advertising has been around for more than a decade. It's why you seem to run into so many tampon adds for your bloody sand filled vag.

Is it illegal to be a good person who contributes to society and treats strangers with the same politeness and respect they want to be treated with? It's not? I'll give a fuck about someone watching me when it is. But no, the man doesn't have his god damn fucking eye on you. Why? Because THERE ARE TOO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE YOU ARE NOT FUCKING SPECIAL.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
So by extrapolation, I can see that you also would have no problem with your phone company recording and transcribing and archiving every single phone conversation you have. Additionally, you would not care if every post you've ever made on any message board also got included in that same archive, because you are clearly not "a bitch" with "a bloody sand filled vagina". If you care nothing at all about privacy, that's your choice. Some of us do care about privacy, and some even consider it a fundamental human right.

What I want to know now is: How do you justify calling people names and belittling people for caring about privacy, while out of the other side of your mouth purport to treating people with the same politeness and respect they want to be treated with?

Next question: If treating people with the same politeness and respect they want to be treated with is truly a concern of yours, how would you react to someone politely asking you to put away your recording device because they are deeply offended by your crass lack of awareness of their right to privacy?

Next: Does it make a difference whether the recording device is hand-held or face mounted and hands-free?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What I'm saying is that most people aren't interested in recording your conversations, and those that would be already have sneakier ways of doing it than google glass. It's not that I don't care about privacy, but I don't see glass as a major game changer, especially if it has some sort of light that comes on when it's recording.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I don't think privacy is really the enduring concern stuff like this will present. In the world outside your residence, privacy is evaporating very quickly. Devices like these are incidental.

I think the majority of people will actually volunteer personal data to be picked up by these devices, perhaps by their phones. That's the nature of a lot of social networking media already. A lot of that data will probably be massaged if not completely fraudulent, again, just like social media. Google is getting into the real world game stuff with Ingress too, which seems like fertile ground and synergistic with Glass.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
You've never really been entitled to privacy in a public space, this is just kind of driving home that point. When you're in public, you are in fact, in public. I care about my privacy to the extent that I don't want to be harassed or identity-thieved, but this fear over people being recorded walking around the city park is conservative and ridiculous. Any NON-public space, however, is another matter, and there are actual laws for that, which will probably need to be updated a bit more as technology progresses.

Agraza sort of mentioned this already, but the vast, vast, vast majority of privacy loss is self-inflicted by people. If you don't want your private business to be public, that's is perfectly achievable, you just have to not use facebook/twitter/google. If you want to conduct private business in public, you have always run the risk of it not staying private. There's also a significant difference between your personal phone calls being record & transcribed and, again, being recorded in a PUBLIC place.

I do have things I wish to keep private, and you know what? They have stayed private, because I ensure that I don't involve a public venue or service. If you're concerned about people recording you reading you iPad at an outdoor cafe while sipping your coffee, you have way too little to worry about in your life.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
These are cool but they will never go mainstream public simply based on the fact that American's are OBSESSED about privacy. These things basically shit all over that right.

If they do go public, they will be shunned by the masses, and most public places will probably restrict them from being used(In fact, I've already read about some restaurants not allowing them).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Please, Americans don't know shit about privacy. People put the craziest shit on facebook and just assume it is secure. If you point out to them that it isn't, they just shrug it off. All the fake outrage over privacy goes away when we can buy something shiny.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I'm confused about these. Why are they so impressive? What can you do with them? You obviously can't interact outside of voice? So.. you can take pics, movies, and see a clock? Um.. wow?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Fiance and I will be getting a pair. She was one of the 8k chosen...
I'm sorrry to tell you this but rerolled is a glass free zone. You will have to take them off while browsing this website. Do feel free to wear them in bed with your fiance and post here the results.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm confused about these. Why are they so impressive? What can you do with them? You obviously can't interact outside of voice? So.. you can take pics, movies, and see a clock? Um.. wow?
Smartphone integration. Any app that works on your phone can become google glass compatible... turn by turn directions... shit like shazam, there is an app that can identify your friends in a crowd based on what they are wearing with like 90% accuracy.

Neph_sl

shitlord
It's cool and all that someone made an app to identify your friends... But humans are really good at that shit. Why use an app with 90% accuracy when you can just take a second look at the person and realize it's your friend with 100% accuracy.