Google is thinking about getting into gaming, big time

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I thought Google was already into the streaming business with YouTube Gaming shit? Albeit one that nobody uses (*cough* GooglePlus *cough*). Can't for the life of me wonder why they would want to become a games developer, though. If they do it'll probably be a SJW shitfest.

khorum

Murder Apologist
He means cloud-gaming... as in your frames are rendered on a cloud cluster and streamed to your device.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
can't wait for Ad's every 5minutes..... if anything it will probably be just a Android box for TV sets... which you can already do with any current phones... sooo yay ?

So, a Shield.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Streaming seems like it's still a long way out in lots of places. Might be interesting if they go the hardware route and building a console or something. No doubt, whatever they do it will be a data mining nightmare if you're remotely bothered about privacy.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
with this kind of team of AAA game devs and critics how can they fail?

CPnWXhXVEAEZG3Y.jpg

• 2Barf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
In before they blame Muh Patreearkee for their inevitable crash and burn.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Google already has youtube, which has a streaming service of it's own. How many streaming services do they want?

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Don't give a shit about my gaming data being sold to China, I just dont trust Google enough to put out non-SJW ME: Andromeda garbage

I don’t really have a problem with people knowing my gaming habits, it’s more than I don’t want a company I don’t care for profiting off of it. The only google I use is YouTube for finding songs, or random links here. I wish there was an alternative.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I definitely would be concerned with them abandoning it, they have abandoned a lot of nice products that they have released. I think once the core group comes to the conclusion it's not cool anymore they'll just shut it down regardless of how many people are using it.

They definitely have product ADHD.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Seems like mobile gaming probably. Maybe something to plug your Google Pixel phone in and boost it similar to the Switch docking, so you can play mobiles on TV with the phone as a controller. Don't see them getting into games games, shit's not worth the money at this point.

There is a gaming revolution on the horizon. So much money in the industry and it's only going to grow. But I agree that Google shouldn't get into actual titled Games, they have the pockets to transform the industry, if they have the vision.

Esports is on the verge of exploding, but everything is still so young.

When you guys mention "Streaming" above, I'm not sure if you mean Twitch/Youtube streaming, or an actual game-streaming setup where you can finally disconnect people from hardware, and only require input devices.

For example, setup gaming servers like they do for Cloud computing, a gamer only needs KB/Mouse or Controller for inputs.. Connect ANYWHERE and let the off-site computers do the rest.

Gaming is so fragmented between consoles/mobile/PC... and the traditional PC is dying.
Once gaming is offloaded you open up a tremendous amount of possibilities:

1.) Cheating becomes near non-existent
2.) Streaming/Broadcasting changes dramatically. You now connect your Cloud Gaming account to your Twitch/Youtube, not relying on Streaming hardware of your own, also professional gaming broadcasting becomes more viable for public (non-LAN) tournaments.
3.) Latency is minimized, except between input device & server
4.) Might open up larger worlds, allowing more on-screen characters, VR, etc... Can optimize games to use the cloud computing/more powerful servers in ways yet imagined.

And this is just 1 aspect of the gaming revolution we've yet to experience.

Esports is on the verge... Another 10-20 years might see 1 of the big 4 (USA) sports (Baseball) take a backseat to video games.
Gaming arenas/stadiums
Gaming bars/clubs
etc.

1st step is it needs to be much more accessible.
FortNite has done this with their Every-Device approach.
It can be better.

Once gaming is accessible to everyone then you'll really start to see an explosion in the industry.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I think we are at a tipping point Rav, if AAA devs keep putting out shallow half assed games there is a good chance the industry could fall pretty hard. I'm not saying it'll kill the industry but it might make investors way more gunshy if these multimillion dollar franchises keep flopping.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I think we are at a tipping point Rav, if AAA devs keep putting out shallow half assed games there is a good chance the industry could fall pretty hard. I'm not saying it'll kill the industry but it might make investors way more gunshy if these multimillion dollar franchises keep flopping.

Which is why you need a big company like Google that doesn't care about the titles, but has the vision to transform everything.
Once the infrastructure is setup you'll see input devices connect to your television with NFR/Bluetooth/whatever and that's all you need.
Then you just need the games, which yes, you'll need some good AAA titles but they will come... And it'll be different investors funding those titles.
Google/Apple/Amazon/MS/Samsung/whoever will have their hands on the infrastructure though.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Personally, I think that e-Sports as a whole has to re-brand itself.

The entire reason that I got into video games in the first place was to get away from the hyper-competitiveness of the real world, and by calling something a sport, real or virtual, isn't the way to do that.

The video game championship? Sure. But take the trash talking out of it, take the sports analogies out of it, and god forbid, take those god damned announcers out of it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Personally, I think that e-Sports as a whole has to re-brand itself.

The entire reason that I got into video games in the first place was to get away from the hyper-competitiveness of the real world, and by calling something a sport, real or virtual, isn't the way to do that.

The video game championship? Sure. But take the trash talking out of it, take the sports analogies out of it, and god forbid, take those god damned announcers out of it.

How does esports affect how you play games at all?
Esport is only a segment of gaming.. it's the most competitive gaming.
There is "Gaming" as a whole and then there is "Esports" which is a bullet within the Gaming category...

You can still "game" for fun...

I think the marketing is just fine tbh, it's clearly distinct already.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
When you guys mention "Streaming" above, I'm not sure if you mean Twitch/Youtube streaming, or an actual game-streaming setup where you can finally disconnect people from hardware, and only require input devices.

Yeah everyone's talking about streaming as in having all core processing done in the cloud in this context.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah everyone's talking about streaming as in having all core processing done in the cloud in this context.
Yeah, except for the posts that keep bringing up Youtube/Twitch, so was confusing lol.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
How does esports affect how you play games at all?
Esport is only a segment of gaming.. it's the most competitive gaming.
There is "Gaming" as a whole and then there is "Esports" which is a bullet within the Gaming category...

You can still "game" for fun...

I think the marketing is just fine tbh, it's clearly distinct already.

Because it draws the trash talkers in, it draws the sports analogies in. Back in the BBS days, if I got told that "You got pwned n00b!" I would ask the person when they typically play multidoor game, so that I would know when NOT to be on. I didn't care how much better than me they were.

It's just no fun playing with someone as hyper-competitive as that.

And that's what e-Sports brings to the table. *announcer voice* "Bring your A game, 'cause here we go! We're gonna have a match up between two teams, the Eat My Ass team and the Suck My Dick competitors."

Rly? Srsly?

In other words, the game in gaming has been lost to a meta that no place in the gaming world.