Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

Lenas

Trump's Staff
you only play with other stadia destiny 2 players. yeah its gonna be pretty fucked after a few weeks lol I haven't kept up, weren't console players super far behind in raiding because PC was much more responsive and stuff and you needed that edge? stadias gonna be pretty fucked too i Imagine, i mean hell will there even BE voice chat? how would it work? haha
Consoles are only behind because the performance is garbage. As long as the cloud PC isn't lagging its ass off it'll still be WAY better than playing on a console. As far as voice communication, I imagine Stadia users will just use Discord. No one uses the in-game voice chat. On PS4 we used to make parties outside of the game itself.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, I canceled mine last night, just doesn't seem worth it at this point.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
They added another dozen games guys to buy guys, crisis averted! /s

1574051168466.png

spronk

FPS noob
it blows my mind that fortnite isn't a launch title. Like thats the simplest, most basic ass thing you should be able to run with a streaming game service, the f2p game everyone on the planet has played in the last year and you can jump in and out for a 10 minute or 3 hour session solo or in a group it all works

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
it blows my mind that fortnite isn't a launch title. Like thats the simplest, most basic ass thing you should be able to run with a streaming game service, the f2p game everyone on the planet has played in the last year and you can jump in and out for a 10 minute or 3 hour session solo or in a group it all works
Problem is Google doesn't get any money from it since it's a free game, and I doubt Epic wants to share revenues on the cosmetics and shit they buy through their own shop. They're missing a shit ton of big titles tbh, they don't even have the current CoD or Battlefield or whatever FPS people play nowadays the only 2 FPS are Metro Exodus and Wolfenstein which are both old news. They only have NBA 2K19, no NFL no FIFA (football manager is way different since it's a management game not an actual soccer game) so they're kinda fucked on sports games too, so it's all around pretty meh as a starting lineup for a "console". And it's missing basically every big PC games and quite likely won't ever have them for the same reason they might not ever get Fortnite, they don't have much leverage to negotiate deals that get them money from having the games on the platform.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Look at that list of games. What you don't see are games that are focused on multiplayer gaming other than MK11, which any serious player wouldn't play on Stadia. A game like Fortnite with even more latency added into the mix? Ugh.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Look at that list of games. What you don't see are games that are focused on multiplayer gaming other than MK11, which any serious player wouldn't play on Stadia. A game like Fortnite with even more latency added into the mix? Ugh.
Uh Destiny 2 is the fucking flagship title

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Do you know how to read? The list is in alphabetical order for Christ's sake. Not to mention D2 is plastered all over the Stadia homepage.

Yeah, my bad. Got scaling set way up on this display and I scrolled right past it. My question still stands.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Weird, I never expected its pvp to be that popular. Should be interesting to see what the response to the added latency with Stadia is going to be from its players.

spronk

FPS noob
I think you're focused too much on latency, in theory stadia should be REALLY good on that for games that are coded well. In theory, since a lot of it is hard to quantify. In the optimal scenario the stadia user boxes all talk to each other at near zero latency and do little to no error checking or server handshakes since they live in a firewalled space that users cannot hack. So you've eliminated a shit load of latency that every console/PC player already has. Second the controllers talk directly to stadia boxes instead of going through a middle man (PC, console, phone) which eliminates even more latency and separates any latency into controller latency (input) and visual latency (display, output).

For fighting games and shooters it could end up, again in theory, BETTER than pc and console since you've cut out a lot of stuff in the middle that adds lots of latency. To online games, of course local/LAN games will always be better.

Unfortunately i doubt bungie or anyone else is doing any of the work to completely optimize this and it doesn't not seem like Google is giving any fucks about ensuring the absolute best way of playing every game is realized, given that they aren't even letting people use the controller wirelessly with other devices yet. Also since every game is seperating user pools by platform it's gonna be interesting to hear how many players are even there, Destiny 2 should be fine since every stadia founder gets it free but how many people are really gonna pay $60 (again?) for MK11 or RDR 2 to play online?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
EA just partnered w/ MS on xCloud at XO19 last week, and they've been testing their own streaming solution - so sports games may always mostly be absent from Stadia (Madden is on xCloud in preview) depending on the terms of that partnership.

I'm waiting for the news that will save this, something more than 'can stream games you buy' because only being able to stream games you rebuy isn't going to fly. A limited Games Anywhere similar to Movies Anywhere is what I'd hope (for starters), or agreements hooking into people paying subscriptions like UPlay+, or EA/Origin Access.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm struggling to see how this can ever work.

If I don't buy full price games from Sony why would I ever consider buying them off Google who drop support for shit at a moment's notice.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

dayNtaI.jpg

the image comparison tool though is damning. The Xbox One X version of tomb Raider looks better in every single screenshot, VISIBLY so. For something thats supposed to be more powerful than the X, its failing badly

also apparently Destiny 2 is running at PC medium settings in 1080p.

WHAT THE FUCK

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This guy is optimistic but concludes with "lack of library & lack of device support".
The phone plugin turns it into a switch basically.

I mean, for gaming on-the-go, it looks promising.
No reason to invest this early imo.