Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
if that's the only controller hard pass just on looks alone.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
From what I read that picture was a render made by someone not affiliated with Google, based on a patent filed from Google. I highly doubt it will look like that.

spronk

FPS noob
announcement is tomorrow, leaks that are probably fake but fun to speculate

- The service is called "google stream", the hardware is called "google streamcast"
- The hardware is a controller and a box with gigabit ethernet port and HDMI 2.1.
- Above 60fps supported on capable displays.
- No powerbrick, designed for portability
- Also a smart TV app coming with support, PC support through Chrome browser and a dedicated app as well as smartphones.
- Certain games can be downloaded and run locally on PC, developer discretion for this one.

Software list:
-Jet Set Revolution (Exclusive)
-Persona 5
-Doom Eternal
-Every ubisoft game from this generation is coming, montage video.
-Watchdogs 3
-Avengers
-Teaser for a project lead by Amy Hennig (Futuristic uncharted) (Exclusive)
-Final Fantasy montage (7,8,9,10,12,13 trilogy and 15)
-Final Fantasy VII short teaser ending with a "Come see us at E3"

D1-hFTXUYAAaprU.png

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Amod Amod Can you please change title of thread to Google Stadia - Game Streaming Service

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It makes sense in a world where you are reliant more on the bandwidth of streaming vs. the need for dedicated, and continually upgraded, hardware.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Not gonna' lie, this has some awesome potential. ISPs limiting data is probably the biggest problem at this point. 4k HDR 60fps streaming is gonna' chew up a ton of data.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
But ISP Data Caps will hold the entire platform back. 4k streaming eats like 7-8GB per hour which adds up very quickly.

Hopefully the 5G rollout forces competition where it doesn't exist in many markets and these caps are eased / eliminated.

Personally I pay for unlimited data, don't really care about the FUD and am waiting for pricing / other details.

I remember being in awe playing Tera using gaikai before Sony bought and relatively buried that technology, then felt the same thing with Project Stream. Stadia is the next leap from those efforts, I hope the other offerings (like xCloud) are just as ambitious and accessible.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not gonna' lie, this has some awesome potential. ISPs limiting data is probably the biggest problem at this point. 4k HDR 60fps streaming is gonna' chew up a ton of data.

I honestly am not sure if the infrastructure exists to support it. I mean I am a dumbass but I do know that more than 50% of USA network bandwidth is or was consumed by using Netflix alone.

Interactive 4k 60fps rendering? Ho Lee Fuck.

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Gotta consider that it's a double dose of latency. You have the controller > output device > servers > system running the game > servers > your display. Even a 50ms ping (pretty fair to consider that on the good side of things) would mean 100ms just in network latency alone. For reference, that's around the same amount you get in the entire loop of a vsync'd game @60hz on a good monitor, and this is before adding the other elements or possible bandwidth hiccups/bad hops and all the rest.

hmm, but if everyone is experiencing basically the same latency, does it matter?

normally i would think this is just Google trying to stay relevant, but they have AMD doing the GPUs

online gaming without cheating???!

consoles and nvidia died a little bit

Last edited:

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Neat, I guess. But I'm honestly curious, what percentage of the population is even going to have the internet speeds needed to stream a modern AAA game? Hell, outside of major cities, what percentage will even have access to an ISP that provides those speeds as an option? Seems like the sort of thing they should've waited an extra 10 years+ before going all-in on.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Don't think the muliplayer stuff will be all that great, maybe it will. Using Google compute power for single player stuff could be incredible good. Google has machines that have 4 tesla P100's in them so I've heard

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Don't think the muliplayer stuff will be all that great, maybe it will. Using Google compute power for single player stuff could be incredible good.

Possibly. But most people who do actually care about top of the line graphics and shit like the nerds here will just have their own machines to do it with. I know I do.

Could it pull in wide swathes of people who don't even know how badly they want that sweet 4k!? Maybe. Keep in mind 4k monitors and what have you are not ubiquitous yet either. I mean it's just a lot of gaps between what they're trying to offer and if the market as it is in 2019 can even sustain it.