Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

Nester

Vyemm Raider
If the Tech is good enough for me to forget it’s streaming, like Netflix, this will be a game changer

You can use chromecast to access and use existing controllers. $20 a month with no hardware cost? I am so in. That’s only 3 games a year!

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What kind of bandwidth do you guys think this shit takes to run? It's nearly the same as streaming 4k on amazon or netflix? They are literally streaming the video and you are sending input data.

This is probably going to be the future of gaming whether we like it or not. The anti cheating thing is super interesting and will be a huge draw for competitive games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If the Tech is good enough for me to forget it’s streaming, like Netflix, this will be a game changer

You can use chromecast to access and use existing controllers. $20 a month with no hardware cost? I am so in. That’s only 3 games a year!

That is where I am skeptical. With a steamlink within my own network on a fiber connection and a beastly machine I still got shit performance out of it.

I hope the Goog can produce some magic.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So one thing I'm interested in is how they stream constantly w/o lag to your computer. It's a little bit different from Netflix/etc because those services can buffer a stream. It's incredibly difficult to buffer a dynamic output. It's one of the reasons why gaming for the most part can't use multiple cores in a processor because parallel processing works with predictive calculations. I wonder if they have some crazy AI going on in the background that's the key to their processing.

Siliconemelons

Have they said what back-end GPUs are they using for virtualization? I mean if not AMD or their own thing, NVidia is going to make bank with their AND theirs.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Have they said what back-end GPUs are they using for virtualization? I mean if not AMD or their own thing, NVidia is going to make bank with their AND theirs.
I heard it's custom AMD GPUs.

EDIT: Just think...if this technology works, Google will have completely ended the console lifecycle that's been in place for decades.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if they have there own custom yet, they are working on them tho. They have machines that use both Nvidia(P100's) and AMD's with 4 GPUs per machine.

Siliconemelons

I heard it's custom AMD gpus.

I figured it would be, AMD has been pumping $$ into the v-GPU (as MxGPU) market...just no support... it seems they are pushing the tech and innovation and will play backup with support and integration.

I have a vcenter 6.7 setup and it only works with 6.5 so I have 2 servers each with 2x 7150x2 GPU cards sitting there... and their new v-series mxgpus are doubble each of those 7150x2's in capacity...

Siliconemelons

Now i wonder what protocol they use... blast...citrix? PCOIP (aws is pcoip)

or... RDS! yes, it must be RDS

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Is this not bringing up images of a dystopian future for anyone else? Google dominating your search, your gaming, your viewing. I wonder how much of your UBI they can get you to pay while you sit in your little hut with your one TV and google controller.

(S)earch
(T)urned
(A)gainst
(D)emocracy
(I)n
(A)ction

/tinfoil

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Not sure if they have there own custom yet, they are working on them tho. They have machines that use both Nvidia(P100's) and AMD's with 4 GPUs per machine.

It is google, so I am not expecting they use conventional anything - but a mixed v-gpu environment would be more hell to manage than a gpu VDI environment already is.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
What kind of bandwidth do you guys think this shit takes to run? It's nearly the same as streaming 4k on amazon or netflix? They are literally streaming the video and you are sending input data.

This is probably going to be the future of gaming whether we like it or not. The anti cheating thing is super interesting and will be a huge draw for competitive games.
This is my big question. Bandwidth usage and latency for controls. If they are just doing pure streaming though it may not be any worse than say netflix which could be pretty amazing. I imagine this is indeed the way of the future if they can get any tech hurdles fixed. Game consoles are generally not the big money maker for game companies especially when they are first launched. If you can do away with the big upfront cost hurdle your potential player base is HUGE.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Man if this thing sucks we're going to have to deal with the Google marketing onslaught of them trying to shove it down our throats.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Nah, if it sucks they'll let it fail, that's actually a legitimate concern is that they create a product you like and then get rid of it (inbox and hangouts the most current examples)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
OMG guys I just read about this and it sounds amazing, I wonder when they will be shutting it down to make another messaging app?

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Can't wait till little Timmy tries to get his Stadia working and his internet is lagging, he rage quits and decides he needs a console instead and then this service ends up in the dust bin like all the other game streaming services.

Was watching this stream on youtube and it had a hiccup and replayed the last line the dude said during the State Share portion, imagine that happening in game at a crucial boss fight.

Too many points of failure, sounds like a nice idea and all but I'll believe this will take off when I see it.

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Dead at release.
The corpse raped by Pc hardware manufacturers 1 week after.

ResetEra praise it.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I don't quite understand why they're promoting this as a cool new thing or why anybody would be excited about it. Even Microsoft was thinking about doing this a few years back. It's still entirely useless because it hinges on (often times terrible) outside infrastructure, so unless Google decides to turn internet provider and break the bank it's a pipedream.