GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

spronk

FPS noob
HBO has confirmed episode 9 is 60 minutes long (June 19th), and episode 10 (June 26th) is 69 minutes long, making it the longest episode to air so far. Both are directed by the guy who directed last seasons Hardhome. The titles for both episodes are out too

episode 9 - The Battle of The Bastard (presumably Jon vs Ramsey)
episode 10 - The Winds of Winter

Which probably means Cleganebowl is next season, since how could you NOT title an episode CLEGANEBOWL!!!!

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Ep. 10 is the Winds of Winter? Wall's def coming down. Just hopefully not because LOL NIGHT'S KING MARKED U BRAN and he crosses the Wall. Fuck Bran, just go die North of the Wall and save mankind.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really hope Bran's mark isn't the mechanism they use to get the Night King through the wall. Since Jon, Davos and friends in the show already suspect the WW are coming. They talk about it like the Wall isn't even there. It seems that the Night King wouldn't even start this invasion if he didn't already have some means of getting past the Wall already.

Not sure it will really need an explanation in the show though. Ice Wizard Night King walks up to the wall.... raises hands and the Wall cracks. He did something similar at Bran's cave already. Might be kinda janky but whatever I can get over something like that pretty easily.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I assumed the wall was more to keep the skeleton like shit out. I'd assume the Night King is powerful enough to shatter the wall if necessary. But isn't the wall also imbued with some kind of magic? Maybe similar to the magic to the 3 Eye Raven's cave. So who knows.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
They did introduce the plotline of the Wildlings looking for the Horn of Winter (Ygritte's original group) but didn't go anywhere with it. Probably best to just have the WW break the Wall with magic and not explain it at all IMO.

"The time was right" or some shit would suffice.

Tenks

Yeah I suppose it would make more sense in the books if the NK had the horn. It wasn't really explained much in the show.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Yeah, I'd be ok with him just having the capability of taking it down and simply needed to build an army first. If the horn is the actual mechanic in the books, it doesn't look like they're following it since I don't think we've seen the horn (or what people theorize is the horn) since they first dug it up at the fist. Has it even been mentioned since?

Tenks

I just finished rewatching S1-3 recently and I don't recall the horn of winter being even mentioned by Mance or the Crows

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It is currently in Sam's possession in Oldtown. The books reference it at various times and reminds you he still has it. Creating a Chekov's Gun situation.

Again in the new chapter. It is becoming apparent that Oldtown is the epicenter of a bunch of supernatural crap about to happen. A lot of supernatural stuff is starting to work again/seems to make it to Oldtown. Sam's Horn, Glass Candles, Valyrian Armor, Faceless Men posing as maester students, etc, Lord Hightower studying spells and magic in his tower, etc.

@Tenks only Ygritte mentions it. Says something about them opening up a bunch of tombs looking for "something." We can only assume it was the Horn because that was the book plot. I wouldn't think too much about it though. They didn't go anywhere with it.

Tenks

Its been years since I read the books but wasn't the horn a fake and they never found the real one?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The one they burned was a fake. A giant's horn. The one they found and Jon gave to Sam is the likely one. He cleaned it up and was still unable to sound it. Alluding it to being magical and not just a normal horn you can blow.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
people theroized forever that in the books the horn mixed in with the dragon glass that sam found and still has with him is actually the horn of joramun. i dont recall if there was a horn on the tv show when they found the dragon glass. that horde of dragon glass and the horn is also theorized to have been dropped there by the CotF.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
It is currently in Sam's possession in Oldtown. The books reference it at various times and reminds you he still has it. Creating a Chekov's Gun situation.

Again in the new chapter. It is becoming apparent that Oldtown is the epicenter of a bunch of supernatural crap about to happen. A lot of supernatural stuff is starting to work again/seems to make it to Oldtown. Sam's Horn, Glass Candles, Valyrian Armor, Faceless Men posing as maester students, etc, Lord Hightower studying spells and magic in his tower, etc.

@Tenks only Ygritte mentions it. Says something about them opening up a bunch of tombs looking for "something." We can only assume it was the Horn because that was the book plot. I wouldn't think too much about it though. They didn't go anywhere with it.
I meant in the show. I'm aware they've mentioned it in the books. They made a point to show the horn in the obsidian cache at the fist on the tv series, I just can't recall them mentioning it since, which is why it seems they've abandoned it.

Tenks

Has there been any fan theorizing about the horn in Euron's possession is somehow linked to the horn of winter ice vs fire style?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Has there been any fan theorizing about the horn in Euron's possession is somehow linked to the horn of winter ice vs fire style?
i never heard that the two were linked as one is probably much older than the other. but then again i only read the fan theories every once in a while so maybe there is a connection.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Hard to theorize with that one since it is so directly a Valyrian dragon horn. Seems it is used to enthrall Dragons in some way. We just don't know HOW it works or what it actually does. Just that sounding it kills whoever sounds it, the death being a blood sacrifice to make the magic work. Whatever the magic it actually does it up to debate though. Also, why did the Targaryans not have one despite having dragons for centuries? Or any books/knowledge on training dragons/Valyrian dragon horns and shit laying around? Unless its been intentionally hidden/suppressed or something.

Since Euron is an asshole there's probably something he's not saying about it. I believe that Euron the character is a literary foil. Meant to contrast Dany's righteous need to conquer and free slaves or whatever with Euron's megalomania and insanity. He will be the mechanism by which Dany avoids, "going too far." As Euron has no problem killing off family members, brutally murdering people for no reason and so on.

To this end, the horn will have to get him a dragon under his control. Probably just one, he'll wreak a lot of havoc with it and Dany will be forced to kill one of her, "children" in order to end Euron's crazy. Realizing what she cannot become as she conquers Westeros.

iannis

Musty Nester
Having not read the books but watched the show I can attest to the fact that if they mentioned it at all, it was in an early season and it has long since been forgotten.

But as a show watcher I'd also be ok with the Night King walking up to the wall, pulling out some horn, and cracking a rift in the wall. Then someone goes "Oh SHIT, he had the Horn of Lothar. He must have gotten that in the deep north, whence it was lost in times of yore"

I'd be ok with that. At least it would move that plot along and it's not snow zombies wandering around aimlessly for fifteen years anymore.

I'd also be ok with it if he just has his skeleton zerg army scale the wall like the wildlings did. When they're on the other side they start to decay, so it's this battle of attrition between zombies falling apart and opening the gate. And the Nights Watch are so undermanned from the bullshit with Jon Snow that they just get over run, and the gate gets opened, and once the Night King is on the other side of the wall his zombies pop back up. So the wall is like an Anti-Magic field. I'd be ok with that too.

I don't want another season/arc delving into the specifics of how the NK gets past the wall. How is less important than does.

As a show watcher. Does is the thing. How is probably more important for the books.