GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I don't think there was any foreshadowing to Benjen coming back. Was there any foreshadowing in regards to Euron? I feel like there's a lot of shit that has just happened out of nowhere for people who strictly watch the show and have never read the books.
Sorry, when I said series, I meant books.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well I guess if talking about Benjen being dead because it's been like 4 days (each season is about 1 day right?) then fine. There was foreshadowing about him coming to save the day and rescue Bran in that case.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
There wasn't any foreshadowing to Benjen. But its a logical outcome of needed the Coldhands character and using someone that is known by the show watchers over a random Wightbro. Euron has been foreshadowed/is a huge threat in the books. But they've done nothing to build him up.

This is for a few reasons as Balon was "supposed" to die seasons ago. But it makes sense that they didn't introduce him until now because we're on the cusp of resolving the current plotlines and their antagonists. The Slavers, Ramsay, High Sparrow.

With that happening they'll need another antagonist while they set the stage for the WW. Which will probably take all of next season. Maybe more. That's why I am pretty sure that they will be building Euron up into that antagonist.

We now know that the book antagonists have been "ramping up." Ramsay is quite worse than Joffrey and book. Euron is wayyy worse than even Ramsay if you can believe that.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Yes, there's plenty of shit not foreshadowed in the show. Again, I meant book series, not the show. "Aegon is actually alive and Varys is behind it!" is exactly the sort of thing Gurrm would've had Illyrio or Varys drop a hint about in their little dungeon talk. See: every other twist.

iannis

Musty Nester
They also made mention of Benjen several times after his disappearance. I don't recall Euron ever being mentioned on the show(was he?), but as a bookreader it didn't seem all that jarring when he showed up.
I don't think he was. If he was it was like an episode before he showed up and 1 line.

But that said, they did mention that old king haggard had a brother. So you knew Euron existed. Kinda.

It wasn't jarring though, even still. The show has made something of a habit of "an den, an den, an den". Euron is just another An Den.

I remember the whole rob stark and his pretty wife thing. There was a pretty long put together about "hints that she's a spy for the Boltons". Or Lannisters. Or whichever it was. And it was subtle, and very interesting.

An Den she got stabbed in the baby, an den I realized none of that shit was really plot misdirection. It was just meta-trolling book readers or something.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well I guess if talking about Benjen being dead because it's been like 4 days (each season is about 1 day right?) then fine. There was foreshadowing about him coming to save the day and rescue Bran in that case.
That was an egregious case of "well isn't that convienent". Bran grew plot armor.

They could have accomplished the same thing with just showing the NK stopping his forces at the tree. He decides that tearing that tree down is more important than chasing after Bran. You can do that with no spoken lines. And you can still have Benjen show up to rescue them... but you have the girl find her own tracks in the snow and wondering out loud why the zombies haven't killed them yet and wondering if he just wanted them to starve to death instead.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They also made mention of Benjen several times after his disappearance. I don't recall Euron ever being mentioned on the show(was he?), but as a bookreader it didn't seem all that jarring when he showed up.
I believe After the Thrones covered this. Euron was mentioned once in S2. Benjen being on the mind/tongue of the cast is also why they said they were confident he was coming back. Gendry hasn't been made mention of at all which they said leads them to think he's done.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I believe After the Thrones covered this. Euron was mentioned once in S2. Benjen being on the mind/tongue of the cast is also why they said they were confident he was coming back. Gendry hasn't been made mention of at all which they said leads them to think he's done.
I thought we saw Gendry in a preview for this season? Am I imagining that? Maybe it's just that we keep bringing him up in this thread. Heh.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think he was. If he was it was like an episode before he showed up and 1 line.

But that said, they did mention that old king haggard had a brother. So you knew Euron existed. Kinda.

It wasn't jarring though, even still. The show has made something of a habit of "an den, an den, an den". Euron is just another An Den.

I remember the whole rob stark and his pretty wife thing. There was a pretty long put together about "hints that she's a spy for the Boltons". Or Lannisters. Or whichever it was. And it was subtle, and very interesting.

An Den she got stabbed in the baby, an den I realized none of that shit was really plot misdirection. It was just meta-trolling book readers or something.
It was just the dumbass show writers wanting to up the shock value by stabbing a pregnant woman in the baby. In the book Jeyne wasn't there because it would have been a grave insult to the Freys to bring her along, even if GRRM probably shot down the possibility of her carrying Robb's child with that retarded 'haha i was giving her birth control tea without her knowing it' bullshit by her mother. In the show it's still a grave insult to bring Talisa along...but whatever, the more the merrier!

Neph_sl

shitlord
Plenty of foreshadowing on Benjen returning. I mean he was lost beyond the wall in the wilderness, I'm sure its a named trope for a "mentor" archetype to get lost and be presumed dead or worse, and then later for them to return with new knowledge or special powers that assist the main character(s) in their quest.
Closest thing I could find, not really what you're describing though:The Bus Came Back

While there, I learned aboutKeystone Army. i.e. Independence Day / Avengers / the likely outcome for the Night King

Tenks

I thought we saw Gendry in a preview for this season? Am I imagining that? Maybe it's just that we keep bringing him up in this thread. Heh.
The internet won't shut up about Gendry. If he was in the previews I'm not sure I don't consume that content.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
also I stand by the possibility that the Westerlings could have been lying to Jaime about Jeyne being preggo. I grant that it's unlikely, but anyone who claims Robb's child would be worthless has clearly never played Crusader Kings 2.

Tenks

I know there is a mod for CK2 to use Westeros but I'd pay good money for an official DLC

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
also I stand by the possibility that the Westerlings could have been lying to Jaime about Jeyne being preggo. I grant that it's unlikely, but anyone who claims Robb's child would be worthless has clearly never played Crusader Kings 2.
Not this shit again. I've already destroyed you on thisretarded fanfic of yours. First, take a big step back, and literally fuck your own face. Whatever you are thinking, you need to think again, otherwise i'm going to have to head down there and I will rain down an ungodly fucking firestorm upon you, You're gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep me from fucking destroying you. I am talking scorched earth motherfucker. I will massacre you. I will fuck you up.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not this shit again. I've already destroyed you on thisretarded fanfic of yours. First, take a big step back, and literally fuck your own face. Whatever you are thinking, you need to think again, otherwise i'm going to have to head down there and I will rain down an ungodly fucking firestorm upon you, You're gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep me from fucking destroying you. I am talking scorched earth motherfucker. I will massacre you. I will fuck you up.
VvbQrKm.gif

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
The first thing my wife, who cant keep track of a damn thing in this show asked when the hooded guy showed up, "is that Benjen?". If she remembers him Im guessing tons of people did. He's got some splainin to do though, wtf has he been doing.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The first thing my wife, who cant keep track of a damn thing in this show asked when the hooded guy showed up, "is that Benjen?". If she remembers him Im guessing tons of people did. He's got some splainin to do though, wtf has he been doing.
spankin it. taking advantage of that post-mortem priapism