GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, nothing has happened since season one as long as you ignore Jamie's struggles, Tyron's rise and fall, act of treason after act of treason in the stark camp(theon, Robb with wife, catelyn, karstark), Arya's escapades and meeting with the brotherhood, Jon snows defection to the wildlings and everything else north of the wall, dany and her dragons building up an army and acquiring allies, the game of shadows being played by varys and Peter, Sansa being passed around like a blunt.....

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah, nothing has happened since season one as long as you ignore Jamie's struggles, Tyron's rise and fall, act of treason after act of treason in the stark camp(theon, Robb with wife, catelyn, karstark), Arya's escapades and meeting with the brotherhood, Jon snows defection to the wildlings and everything else north of the wall, dany and her dragons building up an army and acquiring allies, the game of shadows being played by varys and Peter, Sansa being passed around like a blunt.....
Exactly ^

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
8xsbixA.jpg

Jesus christ. Watching Ramsey fucking FLAY Theon is fine and dandy, but Ros getting shot with a crossbow is where they draw they line? The hell is wrong with people?

8xsbixA.jpg

Reaver

Trakanon Raider
Looks like a lot of that was from before the episode aired. Also people actually liked Ros... Theon not so much.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
He did, the Tyrells took care of that, he was content to watch "the realm" burn and suffer for his goals.
He's not the king. He can't just order things to happen, he just nudges things in one direction and then reacts to what happens next. We have no evidence that he's done anything out of desire for personal gain or cruelty. We've only seen him do what he thinks is best for everyone in the long run. In your mind what would he be doing if he wasn't "bad"?

iannis

Musty Nester
There's no way this thing makes 10-12 seasons, not at 1 season per year. 6-7 at most, and even that might be stretching it. This isn't the books.

The scriptwriters know that, and that's a good thing. I like this show. Here's a contrast, it's exactly what I'm talking about: Littlefingers batman voice over worked for me. It gave him a characterization that he lacked. He was just a random, powerful whoremonger/spymaster with no apparent motivations outside of what has been attributed to him second hand until ep5. They gave him a lipservice one at some point, I think it was talking to one of the Starks -- but "I want to be rich, I want to be respected" isn't really a motivation when he's already obviously rich. And Varys gave us a little bit more last ep, but that was secondhand and Varys is pretty fucked up himself so who knows. So they took 45 seconds in ep5 to give us what the books probably took 3 or 4 chapters to cement. It seems that book readers thought it was cheap -- but fuck, it was economical and effective. It was also the best scene in the episode, imo. Most of the scenes were good. It's about time littlefinger stepped up in a visible (at least to the viewers) way -- that makes it best.

It's also not a completely evil motive, which is the surprising thing. It's self-absorbed and practical in a chilling way. But it's actually not comic-book levels of villiany, which is pleasant.

6-7 seasons. That seems to be about the point at which interest in a show dips to the "not really worth it anymore" point. Even the Soprano's only went for like 8(?) -- and they needed to end that one a season or two earlier with the heart attack arc. 10-11 is insane, man.

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
This show is so different from any other show ever made. Stop tryi g to fit it in a cookie cutter generic show format. If you want an action scene every episode go watch the A team reruns. Game of thrones is about politics in it's best and worst form. Varys and littlefinger are the ones who really play the game. Littlefingers speech is like him making his move in chess. Sacrifice a pawn to move varys to checkmate. Think of this show as a chess game if you will.... But with like 6 big players. All others might seem significant, but they all end up being pieces on the board

iannis

Musty Nester
I think it just goes to show that Ned's "He who pronounces the sentence effects the punishment" method of autocracy is the most ethically pure.

But you can't run kings landing that way, which Ned knew when we went and was then was sternly reminded of. As soon as you take that first step in divorcing cause from effect you're firmly planted in this ethical morass. Varys and Littlefinger have taken much more than that first step.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I absolutely hate hate hate when people post something like "Sad to see when I looked this up that it wasn't actually in the book." I thought we were modding against that? Some of us plan on reading and don't need that. My fiance does the same shit while we watch the show. She'll pause it and go "That didn't happen like that at all in the book!" I just want to grab her head and close the dishwasher on it multiple times.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was always curious if The Wall was all ice or not, guess it is after watching this.
That reminds me that I was disappointed at that final scene. It made the wall look about 20-30 feet wide at the most. If I were just a show watcher, I'd wonder why they didn't just burrow through the thing. But in the book that thing was fucking massively wide. I wonder if maybe it's just going to be a thing where the bottom is wide, but the top significantly less so. That's the only way to makes sense where a gigantic chunk of the wall falls off and it doesn't collapse the whole thing. And unless they scrap the whole wildling battle inside the wall, it won't make sense unless that's the case.

I also feel like Ros was a LOST type "mistake." It looked like they decided to dramatically enhance a character who wasn't really anything but a background character in the books. So you think, hey, maybe they've got something special planned for her. But she basically gets tossed aside in a rather boring way. Granted, that's not really out of character for GRRM, but it still makes me wonder what the whole point of making her so much more important was.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ros was a means to an end in giving some insight into Littlefinger's character. Her death just served to further the audience's understanding of him and give them another reason to hate Joffrey.

khalid

Unelected Mod
But in the book that thing was fucking massively wide. I wonder if maybe it's just going to be a thing where the bottom is wide, but the top significantly less so.
It is significantly wider at the base than the top, this is made clear in the books. A wall 700 feet tall and 20-30 feet wide, even with a very gradual decrease in width as it gets larger will have a HUGE base.

masteen

N00b
I'm guessing that Margaery's seduction is going to fail and she will be hit or she will see Joffery going too far and murdering people, leading to the Tyrells poisoning him?

In the books they seem to kill him just based off Sansa's info.
In the books, Littlefinger has Ser Dontos kill Joff using poison smuggled into the party inside of Sansa's silver hairnet before he helps her escape to Littlefinger's boat. After which Littlefinger has Dontos killed as well.

Ros was a means to an end in giving some insight into Littlefinger's character. Her death just served to further the audience's understanding of him and give them another reason to hate Joffrey.
This isactually just another self-serving act, in that he wants Joff to remain a monster so that more people have reason to want him dead, so that he's not at the top of the suspects list when the above happens.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was watching with my GF as usual and the show must be deviating from the book because she started complaining about various scenes not being in the text then decided to just tell me who is torturing Theon in some act of "I've gotta know more than you!" Told that bitch to shut up since I'm watching the show and not reading the book at the moment.

... Think of this show as a chess game if you will....
I think of this show as a Soap Opera in Plate Mail.

I dont think anyone complained about a lack of 'action', people love this show because it ISN'T a Micheal Bay flick. It's all about the twists and turns of character interactions. Each season has had an EP where there was a slow down in story progression, it's the quiet before the next storm builds. I have yet to hear anyone say GoT is not the best thing on TV atm.

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
That, and as i said in the spoiler section, varys and littlefinger are in a game of chess, littlefinger sacrifices a pawn to get to the king. In more ways then one....he set varys in a check position, got closer to joffrey, and got rid of a spy....never underestimate the power and motives of littlefinger, as varys said, littlefinger would watch the world burn to rule the ashes, it takes a special kind of badass to let a king get rid of his loose ends.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
I will say I was disappointed in the Jeoffrey/Ros scene. With all the hubbub going in I was expecting something really horrible and disgusting, not just "dead chick with bolts in her". I'm sad Ros died, but that scene was a bit of a letdown, the Ramsey/Theon scene was far more dreadful.
Note though how the places Ros was shot mirrored the locations Arya was shooting earlier in the episode. Lots of dualities in this ep.

masteen

N00b
My point is that it would be both out of character and against the family's interest for the Tyrells to poison Joff, monster or no.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't even think it was a slow episode. I think the scene with Joffrey was pretty revealing. I mean, we always knew he was a douche, but we didn't know that he would just kill someone to test out his new toy.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
My point is that it would be both out of character and against the family's interest for the Tyrells to poison Joff, monster or no.
That is ridiculous. It only appears that way in the show because they haven't spent any time developing Tommen's character. The Tyrell's are trusting their daughter (and more importantly their claim to massive influence in the kingdom) to the king. Joeffrey as king is violent and unpredictable while Tommen is sweet, caring, apolitical, and next in line for the throne. It is not only completely in character and in the family's interest to poison the little fucker, but it makes the most sense as well. It is also perfect cover for Littlefinger if he is ever in a situation where he needs plausible deniability.