GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Goatface

still get GoT vids popping up on my youtube homepage, some of them still talk about checking his blog several times a day for updates. anyway, one of them was talking about it appears that most of recent chapters he has talked about seem like old ones being rewritten. don't care enough to check, but it was like 12-20 chapters written but where he is at in the story still hasn't progressed that far in years.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Back in 2015 I remember Martin talking about having a thousand pages written.
i know you're almost as big an SK nerd as i am, but back when he was writing It, he gave an interview with Playboy and he was talking about how his new book (It) could run as high as 3000 pages. it might have been too. when the editors get a hold of a manuscript they chop big chunks out of it to prevent it from bloating into a monster slog and keep the story moving. his finished product was over 1000 pages, imagine how much was left on the cutting room floor for it to have been that long after it was edited. with Martin, he might have a shit ton of words on pages, but if its a bunch of farting around, the editors will gouge that shit into something coherent. maybe its only 300-400 pages after edit. the story is nowhere close to being finished. i guess if he wanted to be cute. he could push to have his unedited stuff be pushed out and say, here ya go!

then thats his other problem, he gets super butthurt when people shit on his work. he also might have had to redo a lot of it because fans were pissing on what D&D did and it was close to how he was planning to write the characters. or he didnt like that fans were guessing where all this was leading and so he got mad and started over in a new direction. there could be a bunch of reasons why he isnt close to finishing, now that he's writing junk for HBO for the next five years. that pretty much confirms he's taking a "break". its been ten years, add another 5. he doesnt care.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think I was able to find all the chapters he released. I really liked them and was hopeful things were on the right track. The Reek chapter, in particular, was a favorite.

Of course this was way back around season five or six, before Dick and Dick Holster had finished shitting all over it. So now it is hard to care about much in the world of Westeros.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Why would GRRM finish the books?

There is no way it will surpass the hype from the series, he's already got enough money, and most likely everyone would be disappointed by it.

For his legacy he should have died when GoT season 3 was airing.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
still get GoT vids popping up on my youtube homepage, some of them still talk about checking his blog several times a day for updates. anyway, one of them was talking about it appears that most of recent chapters he has talked about seem like old ones being rewritten. don't care enough to check, but it was like 12-20 chapters written but where he is at in the story still hasn't progressed that far in years.

He had to go through extensive rewrites after the Twitter gutpunch.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
and most likely everyone would be disappointed by it.
More disappointed than they were by the way the TV show went out?

I don't think he's gonna do it, but even a halfway decent ending to the series would make him look really good compared to HBO.

Caliane

He should release it. And just have the last half of the last book be either:
a. mad libs. (Then,_______ married _____, and had _____ _____.)
B. Choose your own adventure. "John snow picked up Ice, and: turn to page 534 for "swung it at the Wights head". Turn to page 324 for "tossed the sword up for mega ninja Aria to chop off its head"
C. just blank. with the last words being. "why don't you just tell me how you want this to end?"

or, mega chad option.
Kickstarter. 2m "I finish the book"
2.5m stretch goal. Sam kills the night king.
5m stretch goal. bran is the night king.
10m stretch goal, Danny is the princess promised.

Chris

Potato del Grande
i know you're almost as big an SK nerd as i am, but back when he was writing It, he gave an interview with Playboy and he was talking about how his new book (It) could run as high as 3000 pages. it might have been too. when the editors get a hold of a manuscript they chop big chunks out of it to prevent it from bloating into a monster slog and keep the story moving. his finished product was over 1000 pages, imagine how much was left on the cutting room floor for it to have been that long after it was edited. with Martin, he might have a shit ton of words on pages, but if its a bunch of farting around, the editors will gouge that shit into something coherent. maybe its only 300-400 pages after edit. the story is nowhere close to being finished. i guess if he wanted to be cute. he could push to have his unedited stuff be pushed out and say, here ya go!

then thats his other problem, he gets super butthurt when people shit on his work. he also might have had to redo a lot of it because fans were pissing on what D&D did and it was close to how he was planning to write the characters. or he didnt like that fans were guessing where all this was leading and so he got mad and started over in a new direction. there could be a bunch of reasons why he isnt close to finishing, now that he's writing junk for HBO for the next five years. that pretty much confirms he's taking a "break". its been ten years, add another 5. he doesnt care.
If writing too much is his problem, why not just make the series be 20+ books and have a book for every group of characters?

Something more like what Prachett did before Alzheimers caused him to write the same industrial revolution book over and over again?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean this guy is literally rewriting the books based on Twitter politics and feedback he gets on there.

That couldn't make his creative any more irrelevant to me. This series is dead. We'll see what he's got in the prequels.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If writing too much is his problem, why not just make the series be 20+ books and have a book for every group of characters?

Something more like what Prachett did before Alzheimers caused him to write the same industrial revolution book over and over again?
its not the problem of too much, its the problem of writing enough to flesh out the story and allow the editors to cut it down to keep it snappy. its exactly like filmmaking. a lot of films shoot tons and tons of extra footage. some movies wrap up shooting with 5 or more hours in a rough cut and its up to the editing department to knock down all that into a movie that is around 90 minutes to 2 hours in length. its just how that is. you always have to write extra. if you just wrote 600 pages. your novel might only be 300 pages or less after editing.

lets take Martin's novels to what was actually shown on the TV show. they burned through 5 novels in just 5 seaons. there was easily 7 or 8 seasons in there. lots of characters were omitted. lots of good characters show watchers never got to see. Martin was salty about that too. he thought he wrote enough to keep ahead of the show, but they either didnt read the books from the viewpoint of someone who actually liked the books and more as a way of leeching all the best dialogue and visuals and leaving a husk behind. the show did Martin such a disservice that even if he had written his entire series to completion by season 5. they still would have burned their way through it and the show still would have ended like something was missing.

Last edited:
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
its not the problem of too much, its the problem of writing enough to flesh out the story and allow the editors to cut it down to keep it snappy. its exactly like filmmaking. a lot of films shoot tons and tons of extra footage. some movies wrap up shooting with 5 or more hours in a rough cut and its up to the editing department to knock down all that into a movie that is around 90 minutes to 2 hours in length. its just how that is. you always have to write extra. if you just wrote 600 pages. your novel might only be 300 pages or less after editing.

lets take Martin's novels to what was actually shown on the TV show. they burned through 5 novels in just 5 seaons. there was easily 7 or 8 seasons in there. lots of characters were omitted. lots of good characters show watchers never got to see. Martin was salty about that too. he thought he wrote enough to keep ahead of the show, but they either didnt read the books from the viewpoint of someone who actually liked the books and more as a way of leeching all the best dialogue and visuals and leaving a husk behind. the show did Martin such a disservice that even if he had written his entire series to completion by season 5. they still would have burned their way through it and the show still would have ended like something was missing.
I'm saying it doesn't need to be cut down to be snappy.

He planned ~3 snappy books originally, they were very popular and he got invested in the world building and characters.

Clearly he isn't a snappy trilogy guy, but that is what he is still trying to be.

Like just write a whole book about Daenerys in Slaver's Bay instead of spending over a decade trying to make it plot dense, cover all the characters in multiple locations and be snappy.

Then write your Dorne book with the full Dorne story until they invade Kings Landing.

Eventually you can get back to your A plot with all these side characters flrshed out already, Avengers style.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm saying it doesn't need to be cut down to be snappy.

He planned ~3 snappy books originally, they were very popular and he got invested in the world building and characters.

Clearly he isn't a snappy trilogy guy, but that is what he is still trying to be.

Like just write a whole book about Daenerys in Slaver's Bay instead of spending over a decade trying to make it plot dense, cover all the characters in multiple locations and be snappy.

Then write your Dorne book with the full Dorne story until they invade Kings Landing.

Eventually you can get back to your A plot with all these side characters flrshed out already, Avengers style.
oh god, Daeny's chapters were fucking terrible. a whole book focusing on her would be a fucking nightmare. you gotta touch on everyoe's doings because thats how the timeline gets away from you. say you did a book all on Daeny, then a book on Tyrion and then a book on Ayrya. you would be completely divested from whats happening without any updates on characters like Cersei or Sansa.

• 1Garbage

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wasnt book 4 like 75% Danaerys anyway? Or book 5? I know one of the two was basically nothing but Dany mooning over Daario and Tyrion floating on a raft.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Wasnt book 4 like 75% Danaerys anyway? Or book 5? I know one of the two was basically nothing but Dany mooning over Daario and Tyrion floating on a raft.
she had a lot of chapters in book 5, but there was some mix with other POV characters. lots of stuff in her part of the world so it seemed like more.

• 1Garbage

Goatface

1624817575834.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
that Milly Alcock chick does look a bit inbred, she's perfect for a Targaryen.

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 7 users