GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why would that have been better? I get she could have learned some things from Littlefinger, but I don't think manipulating her own brother like that would really fit her character.
Yea that would have been completely out of character for her.

Neph_sl

shitlord
No (not yet, at least). But the faceless are a mystically-inclined assassins guild, and they've been working on stripping her from her identity. So the potential plot twist is obvious. I mean, at one point, she's going to be back in the game...
True, and what better way to come back than to assassinate someone in Westeros. Question is who is getting killed and who the buyer is. Was just trying to make sure that it's not confirmed in the book that XX buys Arya to kill YY.

XX = Littlefinger, YY = Jon Snow?
XX = Yunkai / Astapor, YY = Daenerys?
XX = Bank of Braavos, YY = Cersei?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
valeryans may be fire resistan due to coming from a volcano land so the horn would not effect her, thats a big difference from living through a 3000 degree inferno in vaes dothrak. dany is mot fireproof in the books,
Ok, she has like an extreme resistance to fire. What was the temperature differential between the pyre in book 1 and the Khal-B-Q from the last episode?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No (not yet, at least). But the faceless are a mystically-inclined assassins guild, and they've been working on stripping her from her identity. So the potential plot twist is obvious. I mean, at one point, she's going to be back in the game...
Actually, would be kinda funny if they never sent her back to Westeros and her whole plotline was just one giant tease.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What was the temperature differential between the pyre in book 1 and the Khal-B-Q from the last episode?
Magic. The book 1 event had her doing blood magic by sacrificing her own husband and a relatively powerful sorceress, which led to magic, which led to survival+egg hatching. That's GRRM saying this.

That's a point where the series and books explicitly differ.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Magic. The book 1 event had her doing blood magic by sacrificing her own husband and a relatively powerful sorceress, which led to magic, which led to survival+egg hatching. That's GRRM saying this.

That's a point where the series and books explicitly differ.
A difference the show got right IMO.

I mean, why blame Danys special attributes on magiclol when the much more useful, and impactful explination is it originating via her bloodline. Not only that but why water it down? This is a story that has people control animals with their mind, come back from the dead, turn into stone, conjure and shoot fire like a projectile.....but Dany cant be invulnerable to heat?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
A difference the show got right IMO.

I mean, why blame Danys special attributes on magiclol when the much more useful, and impactful explination is it originating via her bloodline. Not only that but why water it down? This is a story that has people control animals with their mind, come back from the dead, turn into stone, conjure and shoot fire like a projectile.....but Dany cant be invulnerable to heat?
Dany's fire resistance in the books is due to her bloodline, but it doesn't come directly from her blood. Rather, because she is Valyrian, she has the ability to cast very very powerful magic. From what we know of the Red Priests (And the Maesters), spells aren't simply something learned; not everyone can do them. It requires something genetic, as well the proper procedure and potentially some 'global' element (IE when dragons can be born, magic is much stronger, we don't know if that's correlation or causation; or dragons can only be born because X thing makes magic stronger or dragons being born causes magic to be stronger.).

In the books her not being immune to fire hints at her being a lot more powerful than the show version who simply has a super power. Her short burst of fire resistance is supposed to be a clue she mastered a very potent spell (That, in the book, it was said many, many people had tried--since many spell users had tried to bring the dragons back.)

In the show, by her simply being fire resistant, it does show she is unique--but it doesn't add to the whole narrative that magic is coming back into the world, and Valyrians can command magic exceptionally. Rather it seems to be more 'you just need to get things really hot for eggs to hatch', and Dany can bank on being fine with that. (In the show its hinted the reason no one has ever tried is due to the value and rarity of eggs, rather than it being a case where magic is failing like the books.) It's just a narrative shortcut that, depending on how they play it, does make her character more simplistic; but that might not be a bad thing, but it does change the nature of that scene somewhat (They can always walk it back though).

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I can see Arya getting back into the main plot in a really GRRM way. He did, after all, say the ending was bittersweet.

My prediction... The Wise Masters hire the Faceless Men to kill Daenerys. She is really the only person in the story worth assassinating at any cost. She holds the Khalsar, the Unsullied and the Dragons together. Without her, it all falls apart, so she is the person who is the highest on the assassination list.

The Faceless Men attempt to kill Dany in Essos but fail. She leaves for Westeros soon after and aligns with Jon Snow, Sansa and Bran in some way. Out of desperation to fill the contract the Faceless Men send Arya to kill her,AS ARYA, because she is the only one that can get close enough to do it and really because of the conditioning, Arya doesnt really exist anymore. Then we get a few dozen chapters of Arya struggling to figure out who and what she is, eventually ending with her killing Dany and then being killed by Jon.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, she has like an extreme resistance to fire. What was the temperature differential between the pyre in book 1 and the Khal-B-Q from the last episode?
damnit why you making me defend astro? The fire immunity is entirely a show only thing.

And not so much that whole "your a wizard now, dany" explanation that Lithose gave. great fan fic but not actual basis from the books.

"burning kings blood to awaken the dragons from the stone" is rhllor/prince that was promised/azor ahai prophecy. It was a singular, magical event that dany unknowingly took part in when she burned khal drogo's body. I say unknowingly but she, like many targaryans, had dragon dreams which kinda subconsciously revealed this to her, to put the eggs in the fire when she burned drogo.

If freaking Hot Pie or Samwell Tarly were somehow the prince that was promised and he had climbed atop the pyre while burning drogo and the dragon eggs, he would of been the one to emerge from the ashes unburnt. It's nothing to do with being Targaryan (other than the prince being prophecized to be from that blood line). The fire itself, the event was magical in nature.

Targaryan's (well valyrians in general) do have a small amount of heat resistance, in the same way that people from the south have some amount of humidity resistance, due to acclimation (ok that's an overly simplistic comparison, but living in volcano's and taming dragons mixed with some genetics and magic). She wasn't studying at hogwarts between books learning spells.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
damnit why you making me defend astro? The fire immunity is entirely a show only thing.
Well we're beyond the books, so basically everything we see right now is 'show only'. What if the book comes out and says that "one off" thing was actually just a coincidence and sheismagical and becoming more powerful as Winter nears. My point is that the show is now the story and without new books, it's stupid to say what is or is not canon. There are no books to confirm it.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Emiliy Clarke is fat? since when?

This photo from the Conan show is like 3 weeks old.

CgDhOGRUYAAok1U.jpg
She just has chubby arms for the rest of her body. There's a certain female body type that can look thin in most places but still have chubby arms.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No wonder she's dragging her feet crossing the sea she's afraid of being mistaken for a whale!

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I can see Arya getting back into the main plot in a really GRRM way. He did, after all, say the ending was bittersweet.

My prediction... The Wise Masters hire the Faceless Men to kill Daenerys. She is really the only person in the story worth assassinating at any cost. She holds the Khalsar, the Unsullied and the Dragons together. Without her, it all falls apart, so she is the person who is the highest on the assassination list.

The Faceless Men attempt to kill Dany in Essos but fail. She leaves for Westeros soon after and aligns with Jon Snow, Sansa and Bran in some way. Out of desperation to fill the contract the Faceless Men send Arya to kill her,AS ARYA, because she is the only one that can get close enough to do it and really because of the conditioning, Arya doesnt really exist anymore. Then we get a few dozen chapters of Arya struggling to figure out who and what she is, eventually ending with her killing Dany and then being killed by Jon.
Not a bad theory. Dany is painted into a corner of she either needs to rule the entire world or die. She's way too powerful for anything else.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
in the show they spent all of season 1 teasing fire immunity, the scalding hot bath, her grabbing the dragon eggs that were resting in the embers and it not burning her (when it burned her hand maiden), all leading up to the big reveal of the dragons being born. So the fire immunity thing was invented by the show in season 1 episode 1. The last episode was just more of that.

None of that happened in the books. She had the 1 singular event of fire immunity but otherwise was just as susceptible to fire as anyone else. In fact later she is accidentally burned by drogon's breath (grazing shot, not a direct blast) and her hand is burned along with all the hair on her head/face.

This was all confirmed by the author, it is known. also this all arose from R+L=J btw. Jon Snow gets a similar burn also on his hand by a torch in book 1/season 1 which made people question if he were really a targ because they are immune to fire because the show said so, to which he replied "you're all fucking idiots, you know that?"

Tenks

Not a bad theory. Dany is painted into a corner of she either needs to rule the entire world or die. She's way too powerful for anything else.
On the After the Thrones show they did bring up a good point that Dany is good at speeches and riling up a crowd but rarely can she execute her ambition quite as cleanly. Just because the Dothraki are now bowing to her doesn't mean she'll have an easy time juggling management of the Dothraki, management of Mareen and laying siege to Westeros.

Tenks

This was all confirmed by the author, it is known. also this all arose from R+L=J btw. Jon Snow gets a similar burn also on his hand by a torch in book 1/season 1 which made people question if he were really a targ because they are immune to fire because the show said so, to which he replied "you're all fucking idiots, you know that?"
Why would anyone thing Targs are fire immune? It seemed fairly established to me that Viserys was not. I think even within the Targ blood being fire immune/resistant is a rarity.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Also this (sourced from A question about Daenyrs Targarian in a Song of Ice and Fire (spoilers) - Forum - DakkaDakka):

Granny: Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Revanshe: So she won't be able to do it again?

George_RR_Martin: Probably not.