GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just in case people are still arguing about Jon (because apparently, some people out there can't figure it out), HBO put an official "important characters relationships" diagram on their GOT site:

I said it on Facebook and got slammed for spoiling it.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
"I once took a honeycomb and a jackass into a brothel and..."

SOMEONE PLEASE FINISH THE DAMN JOKE!

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I was hoping they'd just hire that director the whole fucking season, like True Detective. Even if Battle of the Bastards was retarded, it was goddamned entertaining. And the finale as phenomenal.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I'll take good writing over good directing.
Up to a point. I mean how good would you say the writing was for the opening montage in the finale leading into Loras' trial? It was minimal but the director laid those scenes out and rendered it beautifully.

And the writers for the show don't change much anyway. We're stuck with the same core group with an occasional treatment by GRRM.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
D&D are really the only writers worthy of blame or praise when it comes to plot. Gurrm doesn't write for the show anymore.

Royal

D&D are really the only writers worthy of blame or praise when it comes to plot. Gurrm doesn't write for the show anymore.
He hasn't written lately because he's tried to reduce the amount of ammo he hands the critics yelling for him to finish the damn books already. I think once the next one is out he might write one more episode before the series is over.

iannis

Musty Nester
I just find the melding of non traditional fantasy storytelling with by the numbers not so reluctant hero storytelling irritating. Where is Jon Snow, Jaime, Bron, Brienne, Littlefinger, Sansa, Arya etc going to end up? No clue. Wheres Dany going to end up? On the Iron throne Yawn
Well dany has said that she wants to break the wheel, and she gave the ironborn independence on a pinkie swear of "no more Viking shit".

Dany really might just create a basic federation in place of a feudal hierarchy. There were Roman emperors that ruled that way. Emperors yes, and they collected tax, but if a provincial governor asked what to do the answer came back, "figure it the fuck out. You're the proconsul. I'll be angry if I have to bring my legions over there."

In short dany wants the iron throne to melt it, not to sit on it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think once the next one is out he might write one more episode before the series is over.

Well dany has said that she wants to break the wheel, and she gave the ironborn independence on a pinkie swear of "no more Viking shit".

Dany really might just create a basic federation in place of a feudal hierarchy. There were Roman emperors that ruled that way. Emperors yes, and they collected tax, but if a provincial governor asked what to do the answer came back, "figure it the fuck out. You're the proconsul. I'll be angry if I have to bring my legions over there."

In short dany wants the iron throne to melt it, not to sit on it.
I think the 'im gonna break the wheel' thing was just a 'hey this sounds cool' line and I doubt anything comes of it.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Speculation time:

Melisandre heads south and meets up with Bwob, turns around and heads north.

Arya heads south to cross the last name off her list, cersei, but runs into bwob, fulfills Mel's prophecy. "I see death in you, we will meet again."

Arya stealth kills Mel, but the hound is blamed so he jets before they can hang him, and arya and bwob continues with bwob to the north for reunion with Jon and sansa.

Dany arrives within the first few episodes, landing in the storm lands, meeting up with dornish and reach armies. They prepare to march on KL.

Cersei can't handle the walls closing in and plans to burn down KL, Jaime ends up killing cersei, but before that can happen, the hound arrives and Jaime + hound defeat the mountain, enabling Jaime to strangle cersei to death before collapsing from his own wounds and dying. An injured hound is the only survivor and takes off to be a peaceful Shepherd/gravedigger etc.

Dany simply claims the throne, her forces are too massive for anyone to contest her. Tyrion inherits command of casterly rock/lannister forces.

Meanwhile in the north, LF plots to divide Jon and sansa, and it's presented as sansa is in board with His plan, but really she betrays and murders lf, student has become the master scenario, she plays Robin has him wrapped around her little finger (lol pun) and basically controls the Vale.

As this is happening, bran arrives at winterfell to reveal what's going on beyond the wall, and the nk breaks the wall somehow and the wall comes down and the dead with them.

San finds some old book that explains something important about who the nk is and how to defeat him. He heads to KL to speak with the new queen and get her support, at the same time word comes from winterfell that the army of the dead is basically marching on winterfell, they are asking for help from all the realm.

Dany and co, including all the southern armies march north.

That's my season 7 prediction, the last scene being the army of the dead completely surrounding winterfel like a siege, but war z style mountains of dead climbing the walls

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Phone post so forgive spelling in previous post and this one.

Season 8 speculation:

Begins where season 7 ends, undead horde sieging winterfell. All looks bleak, a Raven arrives, it's msg is a picture of a dragon and the words we're coming.

Winterfell can't hold out, so they plot a last ditch break of the siege to escape. Vale forces, northern forces, and wildlings break out of the castles front gates, many die but they are able to escape, ghost dies saving Jon so he can escape.

The survivors head south, meeting up with random bands of survivors fleeing the north, while the nk army is raising the dead, consolidating their forces, wiping out smaller holdfasts etc.

The northern forces reach moat Caitlin just as the southern forces reach it, all but dany and the dragons. They consolidate power and plot a stand against the dead. Massive battle which they lose, massive forces are lost.

The survivors flee south, where they meet up with dany and the dragons. Jon bonds with viserion, bran wargs rhaegal and tyrion rides him with a special harness. The final battle occurs at the trident. The living win, using whatever Deus ex machina that Sam discovered in old town to defeat the NK, but it requires a sacrificial attack, killing Jon Snow.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
1. The Horn Of Joramund does not "wake giants". It was the first weapon made by the Children of the Forest against man, and caused the earthquakes that devastated much of the world. The same type of earthquake which will be able to take down the wall. It is the horn that Sam found and is currently at Oldtown. See #13, next post.

2. Euron Greyjoy will be the primary antagonist. He'll likely have the ability to control Daeny's dragons, as he's basically the opposite of Bran. He's a supernatural nut in the books, and it'll be up to D&D to determine how much of that power he'll have in the show. In the books, he has a full suit of Valyrian armor, magical abilities, and Dragonbinder. Will he acquire all of these? Dunno, but he'll at least have the Iron Fleet.

3. Jaime kills Cersei, ala Mad King arc and redeems himself. Tyrion is about (50%) likely to be a Targ, so it's very unlikely that he's the Valonqar.

4. Cleganebowl will likely not happen. Too cliche, and if it does happen it's going to be a HUGE divergence from the books. Martin is not the type to write Bastard vs Bastard, Brother Kills Sister, and Brother vs Brother in the same story.

Woolygimp

Here's how this series will end based on an interview with GRRM. Although GRRM hasn't finished the ending, and there will be changes to divert from the show he recently said that he was heavily inspired by Tolkein, especially the final and often forgotten/misinterpreted final act of LotR, "The Scouring of the Shire."

Tolkein was an environmentalist who lamented how rustic farm layed back farm life was destroyed by industrialization. He saw horses turn into automobiles, green pastures get paved over, and fought in the Battle of the Somme which is represented Mordor. Now, the Shire is supposed to be paradise, and yet these hobbits return home to find it, "worse than Mordor." Saruman has taken power, and the hobbits become destructive towards both themselves and the Shire itself, often only motivated by greed or power. Something that the hobbits previously never displayed. Paradise lost.

Now, the series is ultimately about man's self destructive nature. We see this in the prehistory as the CotF are in harmony with it, but men come and start destroying them and the world itself. Much like the Ents who are resigned to Fangle(whatever the fuck) Forest, the CotF are forced to try and stop the spread of men and their destruction. They create supernatural weapons (The Horn of Winter), but even that doesn't do it. They then create the White Walkers. The CotF who, like the hobbits, were initially benign and living in paradise have inherited the traits of man, and in doing so have created something that destroys life itself.

That's all the Others are. They are 'Death'. They don't speak. They have no notions of power, control, or anything except the inevitable destruction of anything that lives or breathes.

So ultimately, this series is about the self destructive nature of men, but will end in a "small victory." The story resonates with how mankind bickers, fights, and kills, even with the most dangerous of oncoming calamities. We are basically doing the surrendering to Death (the WW's) before they've even invaded. When they do arrive, the Seven Kingdoms are going to be in ashes. King's Landing will be destroyed, all the major armies smashed.

Then when almost everyone and everything is dead and there is no hope, Azor Azai will wield Lightbringer (which is Dawn). Dawn brings "light" and was made before men knew how to make Valyrian steel. It's the most special sword in the series, held by the most ancient house in Westeros, in one of the places furthest from the Wall. The Dayne's "Sword of the Morning" office is really like the stewardship of Gondor, they keep, maintain, and wield the sword. Arthur Dayne (the last Sword of the Morning) dies EXACTLY when Jon Snow is born, and there hasn't been another since. This is significant.

-->So Jon Snow is the Prince that was Promised and Dawn will be his weapon. You know, kind of like Aragon getting Narsil and summoning an undead army to save the day.

Pure speculation based on Martin's comments, but I think after AA saves the day he'll do something unprecedented. Since the likely person (Jon) he was heavily influenced by Mance and the Freefolk, I think he dismantles the broken Westerosi society and people live "free" like the wildlings. We already see this in Essos where Dany instructs Daario to let the cities of Dragon's Bay elect their own leaders, but I'm not entirely sure that Essos will remain untouched. Then there's the line Arya speaks talking about sailing to the West of Westeros. Just seemed like an extremely weird "throwaway" line.

Previous post:

5. King's Landing and the "Iron Throne" everyone has been fighting for are destroyed by men, not the Others. We already saw the throne room completely destroyed in a vision of Winter. The Other's kill people. They don't give two fucks about pulling down bricks.

6. Fuck, skip this one.

7. The Others will have an Ice Dragon. In the books, they'll have Giants, Direwolves, Bears, and basically every single thing that's dead and hasn't been burned. Show has a CGI budget, but they'll include the Dragon. We'll see Ice Dragons, count it. If Dany's dragons are grounded and die... yeah. But they likely already may start with at least one, or that's what most fans think. We'll see when the Horn of Winter is blown.

8. Don't expect Daeny's dragons to be ultimate anti-White Walker weapons. In the books, they can't fly in storms. White Walkers bring...storms.

9. Euron sums himself up to the Lord of Harlaw by telling him, "I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last.". Wuh woh. He seems very similar to the White Walkers themselves in the books, this guy is all about magic, but for the wrong reasons.

10. There's something significant about the Direwolves. Sansa not having hers, and her habits from the first book, point to her not being a typical Stark, and we'll likely see conflict between her and Jon. He'll D&D have basically come out and said, "Sansa and Jon probably won't get along." /hint hint.

11. Littlefinger plays a bigger part of this story. If you think he gets offed by Sansa early in S7 you're retarded. He's got more backstory than most other characters, and although GRRM never writes a PoV for him that doesn't mean that he won't remain a major player for quite a while.

Basically, the system crushed him. He was raised with notions of valor, honor, and chivalry, and at the age of 14, he was raped by Lyssa, nearly killed by Brandon Stark in a duel, betrayed by his true love, and kicked out by his adoptive father, Hoster Tully all because he was trying to "act noble" even though he was a Lowborn. Lyssa raped him, got pregnant, and his family threw him out half dead. That's enough to fuck up anyone's life. Now whether he's trying to bring down the system or rule it is in dispute, & I know he did say he wanted to sit on the Iron Throne. But as a character, I think it'd be more interesting if he was trying to do away with "birth rights", since his destiny (up until he lost his father, love, and nearly his life) was determined almost entirely by who his parents were.

But Littlefinger's youth embodies everything that's wrong with the Feudal society that Westeros is based on. Like real life, the children of Serfs inherited the status of being a Serf. The Lowborn and Smallfolk are shit on, while the powerful few are motivated to kill and destroy driven by greed. This still happens in modern society, and I think aSoIaF will have a subtle political message, much like Tolkein & C.S. Lewis' works did. I think that message is even more important in the modern world, as we are basically destroying ourselves and fucking up the only place in the known Universe, that we as a species, can survive. Profit and power.

He's the only major character besides Jon who would be motivated to burn that shitty society down. And as I pointed out, I think that's where this is headed. I'm definitely rooting for this guy. Fuck the notion of being a Lord of half of Westeros just because your parents happened to be named Stark and you were their eldest male, who didn't die fighting Lord of fuck knows where for fuck knows what.

12. They're scouting the Canary Islands so they'll be filming Valyria. We aren't done with Essos. Perhaps Jorah's arc? If someone besides Jon, like Jorah, were Azor Azai that'd be so much more interesting. Dany would be Nissa Nissa, but I don't think they'd cast someone old enough to have a heart attack as the absolutely most integral character in the story. Jon being born right as the last Sword of the Morning dies is...pretty damn significant to be a red herring. I love Jorah... and I have no idea where his story is headed, except probably the Doom of Valyria.

13. Not sure what Sam learns from Oldtown that helps. Except he's got the equivalent of the Dr. Strangelove Cobalt bomb in his sack, and he's in an unprotected coastal city alone (hey, I'm Euron and I like magical shit and have lots of motorboats!). He also seems to be in a pretty convenient place to repair an ancient artifact should it be... broken.

And for doubters. The horn Sam finds is an auroch's horn, unadorned, which is exactly something the CotF would have made since they weren't able to work metal.

Winds of Winter Cover:

rrr_img_136344.jpg

Season 2:
Sam finds the Horn of Winter - YouTube

Chekov's motherfucking Howitzer.

Royal

I just find the melding of non traditional fantasy storytelling with by the numbers not so reluctant hero storytelling irritating. Where is Jon Snow, Jaime, Bron, Brienne, Littlefinger, Sansa, Arya etc going to end up? No clue. Wheres Dany going to end up? On the Iron throne Yawn
Dany could always end up being Nissa Nissa to Jon's Azor Ahai.

Woolygimp

This story does not end with Danaerys, or anyone else, ruling the Seven Kingdoms. The Seven Kingdoms, in their current incarnation, won't exist, we see the Iron Throne and the entire Throne Room completely destroyed in a vision. Dany has already promised the Iron Islands their independence, assuming Euron doesn't win.

Do you really think the character who has been screaming, "I want the Iron Throne!", "I want the Iron Throne!","I want the Iron Throne!" from page 1, book 1, is going to get it? (well at least after Viserys bites the dust) She's gotten everything else she's wanted, life eventually disappoints everyone.

This isn't your typical fairytale.

The entire premise is what the fuck does it matter who has power if humanity itself is facing an existential threat. Everyone's fighting over a fucking chair even when their demise is standing on the other end of a bunch of ice that's going to come crashing down.

Also rewatch the Finale. Tormund eats bread and remains seated while everyone else crowns Jon KotN. The previous episode him and Davos both agree, "maybe our problem was believing in Kings." Then Davos annoints Jon the very next episode. I think that has pretty significant implications for the story in general.

How did Jon Snow become Lord Commander of the Night's Watch? He was the most capable person for the job, and was elected. He didn't automatically inherit the position from birth. When Sansa (and others) finds out Jon's lineage and she wants to rule because she's a "Ned's true child", it'll signal everything that's wrong with Westeros. Finding out Jon isn't her brother at all, only her cousin, will definitely send her back to Littlefinger, whom she has a very comfortable relationship with in the books.

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
The entire premise is what the fuck does it matter who has power if humanity itself is facing an existential threat. Everyone's fighting over a fucking chair even when their demise is standing on the other end of a bunch of ice that's going to come crashing down.
A flood happens and people go looting TV's instead of trying to save their loved ones... Game of Thrones in that aspect is showing human behavior at it's worst, but definitely real. It's all about priorities, and most humans have theirs terribly out of order.

Also rewatch the Finale. Tormund eats bread and remains seated while everyone else crowns Jon KotN. The previous episode him and Davos both agree, "maybe our problem was believing in Kings." Then Davos annoints Jon the very next episode. I think that has pretty significant implications for the story in general.
I think the problem was, some follow a king that inherited it by birth and had nothing to show for it. Stannis called himself the one true king and all he did was almost die in a siege, kill his brother, lose a battle in KL lose a battle in the north after he burned his own daughter for good luck. Mance called himself a king, promised his people a lot and never managed to live up to those promises.

Jon didn't want to be lord commander, he didn't want to become lord of winterfell, he felt visibly uncomfortable being called king of the north. But he is the one who saved a lot of wildlings in hardhome. he is the one that gave them shelter south of the wall, he is the one that earned his shit the hard way and still didn't want it. Jon is not on a quest for power, all other kings were. He doesn't even want the Master bedroom in winterfell.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
4. Cleganebowl will likely not happen. Too cliche, and if it does happen it's going to be a HUGE divergence from the books.
How? It's plainly forecasted in the first book in a Bran vision. If anything, it's more likely to happen in the books than the show.