GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Even Tully in the Riverlands seems a more sensible house than any of the southern houses who all seem to be about flowers, wine, etc... whereas everything riverlands and north are beer drinkers. Obviously, I am generalizing... but seems to fit mostly... beer in the north, wine and fruitcakes in the south.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Even Tully in the Riverlands seems a more sensible house than any of the southern houses who all seem to be about flowers, wine, etc... whereas everything riverlands and north are beer drinkers. Obviously, I am generalizing... but seems to fit mostly... beer in the north, wine and fruitcakes in the south.
It's almost like food, drink and even culture really was somehow significantly influenced by geography and climate!

Nah, that would be ridiculous.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
It's almost like food, drink and even culture really was somehow significantly influenced by geography and climate!

Nah, that would be ridiculous.
I like where you're going with this. GRRM is fat and probably likes food influencing his writing.

Seriously though, despite the dumb food references... I didn't think the Tullys came off as courtly as the southern houses, maybe cause I imagine their keep pretty moldy and shit from being in the wetlands. Whereas, Dorne and Martell and Lannisters (just cause they are rich snobs) all seem a bit more about the tradition of courts.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I really didn't like Sansa up till now but I have really high hopes for her in the future. I think she'll get the good qualities of littlefinger, her father and her mother (If her mother has any good qualities...). Really just a 'good' littlefinger would be a massively powerful hero, because he's easily one of the top intelligent movers in the series.
I don't think you can have a "hero" version of littlefinger. He gets ahead by being willing to setup and sell out anyone to his own benefit, and that's where most of his power is derived from. On the opposite end of little finger you have Varys who I think is as close as you're going to get to a good version of littlefinger. Varys and to a lesser extent Tyrion are the two forces really driving towards some sort of good, though I'm more inclined to say the good of everyone in the sense of stability rather than just being "good".

I have generally found that any character in the series that refuses to make trade offs or compromise are generally the ones who die or find folly. The only person left who I'd deemed to be uncompromising is Stannis, and I'm sure at some point in the near future he'll pay for that to some degree.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
There was nothing more satisfying to me than reading about Cersei, once she had control of the kingdom through Joffrey, just basically screwing up everything. In her mind, she thought she was doing good, and from every other person's perspective she was just SOOO bad at ruling. Haha. Makes me smile inside when people so full of themselves just majorly screw up (I don't even need the moment of them realizing it, because sometimes they never do, but the rest of the world does).
Yeah that part of the story is what makes that particular book so worth it, imo, even though I know a lot of people dislike it. But Cersei's rise and fall was so well done. There was so much build up and then she just falls all the fucking way down to the cellars and has no one to blame but herself. So satisfying. Especially after the anti-climatic fall of Joffrey (I wanted to see that little shit suffer much more than he did), at least we get one of them to burn.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
My point about house tully is that neither cat or her sis act like northern women. It makes sense that sansa would grow up the same way. Catelyn up until her untimely first demise was still thinking of the world as full of honor and "proper knights". Just like sansa. At least sansa got a crash course on reality and is still amazingly alive

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tue, but the Starks are a very old noble house, Lords over the larges part of land in the 7 kingdoms and the Wardens of the North. They have a bit of a heads up on the other northern House's daughters and are more likely to get involved in marriage to another major house.

Also, blame Old Nan and Septa Mordaine who are the ones filling Sansa mind with stories and what it is to be a proper Lady. The servants of a major house usually do more to raise the kids than the actual mothers do.

Sansa just latched on those stories and believed them to be the hard truth, like many sheltered kids would have. f=Fairy tales are awesome until the cold hard truth rips them apart.
Yeah the Starks attempting to raise a proper lady is very believable. Arya stark is the outlier here, not Sansa.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like Brieanne and Jamie have a nice sword fight. Would be pretty sweet for him to get beaten for the first time by a woman. He would prolly fall in love with that bitch if it happens.

Flinger

Lord Nagafen Raider
How do you think they will handle Arstan Whitebeard? Do you think they will try to disguise that it is Selmy? That would be pretty fucking difficult. I'm sure some of you will probably say you knew it was Selmy all along and that I am just a dumbass, but it was a pretty big OMFG moment when I found out it was Selmy.

Haka

N00b
How do you think they will handle Arstan Whitebeard? Do you think they will try to disguise that it is Selmy? That would be pretty fucking difficult. I'm sure some of you will probably say you knew it was Selmy all along and that I am just a dumbass, but it was a pretty big OMFG moment when I found out it was Selmy.
I'm guessing they won't try to hide it much, and they'll likely even replay the season 1 scene of him quitting court in the episode preview/last time on Game of Thrones!
smile.png
(does GoT do those? I don't even remember).

Honestly I can't even remember what he looks like on the show he was on there so little, compared to the amount of time I read about him leading up to the 3rd book. It wouldn't surprise me if the majority of viewers who never read the book will have no idea until it's thrown in their faces.

Or maybe people are smarter than I give them credit for.

smile.png

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't think you can have a "hero" version of littlefinger. He gets ahead by being willing to setup and sell out anyone to his own benefit, and that's where most of his power is derived from. On the opposite end of little finger you have Varys who I think is as close as you're going to get to a good version of littlefinger. Varys and to a lesser extent Tyrion are the two forces really driving towards some sort of good, though I'm more inclined to say the good of everyone in the sense of stability rather than just being "good".

I have generally found that any character in the series that refuses to make trade offs or compromise are generally the ones who die or find folly. The only person left who I'd deemed to be uncompromising is Stannis, and I'm sure at some point in the near future he'll pay for that to some degree.
Varys? The guy who gut-shotted the one competent leader the Seven Kingdoms have had since... well before fucking Aerys. Yeah, he isn't good, he is self-serving.

Cybsled

They will probably do an Obi-Wan Kenobi with him...a hood that obscures his upper face so you can just see the lower part + all the facial hair at first, then do the full reveal by the end of the same episode. Dany won't know who it is, but the audience will know at that point. Gives the episode some 'oomph', but they won't stretch out his secret identity to the audience.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They dont need to hide selmy's face with a hood,the majority of people wont recognize him, especially with the full beard. He was barely on the show, and that was 2 years ago. We will know because we know the books and are savvier than the general tv audience. The non spoiler thread people may or may not notice who he is.

Fedor

<Banned>
Barristan straight up tells Dany and Jorah who he is in the first episode. There is no Arstan in the show.

At least the first episode also has the scene of Tyrion asking for Casterly Rock.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Barristan's actor is too recognizable with his intense eyebrows and eyes.
Tripamang_sl said:
I don't think you can have a "hero" version of littlefinger.
Littlefinger uses guile and treachery to advance himself. There's no reason someone couldn't do the same to ease Jon Snow's return to the 7 kingdoms (Or whomever) which could be a heroic act.

I'm not really sure what Varys' angle is. I don't think self serving is correct because he's pretty comfortable where he is now. Maybe he thinks that hurting the kingdom so that another ruler can take it helps the people but that doesn't make sense.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He straight up said it, he wants Cersei in power because it keeps the kingdom weak and ripe for Aegon. He serves his agenda, I should say.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't say that makes him bad though. The whole series really just comes down to perspective. He believes that the Targaryen family are the rightful rulers of Westeros and the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons are all the "bad guys". It doesn't matter which House has the least assholes in it, or who would be the best rulers because at the end of the day none of them should even be on the throne. Ned might of been a "good guy", but he was still the enemy.

We won't know for sure until the end, but I personally think his motives are not that complicated. He is loyal to the rightful rulers. Until the day comes that a Targaryen is on the throne again he is going to do what he can to keep everyone else weak. Obviously "rightful ruler" is just another matter of perspective, but it is the part of the series that appeals most to me. Fans could debate for hours why their favorite House should be the rulers.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Speaking of Aegon, will we see him this coming Season, or probably not until 4?

I find the timing of these things confusing.