GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

iannis

Musty Nester
I dunno his name either. The show leaves me with the impression that the grumpy old coot telling rob he's lost the war already is 1) important to the power structure of the north 2) involved with / related to house bolton in some way. So he's a baron and he thinks Rob fucked the dog. And he's not afraid to tell Rob that he thinks that. But he's still lending his support to Rob.

It's the crows that are actually somewhat confusing. Jon, the commander, yigrette, and fatboy are immediately recognizable. The rest of that story line sort of fades into grey.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Lord Karstark, he is a bannerman to Lord Stark (Ned, and now Rob), so he is seems to be an adviser/sits on the war council as a high lord. For some reason I think he is related to the Starks, but not sure. I have the same concern when it comes to why I should care about him, he just seems like a cranky old fuck. Also im pretty pissed off they got rid of GreatJon (not sure if they cut him out or Clive Mantle had other commitments, damn is he a great actor in every show he is in)
The Karstarks are descended from a Stark that branched off the main family a thousand years or so ago. Long enough that there are no real familial ties now. He is cranky because his sons are dead and he comes from a culture where honor and making shows of strength are everything. Both his sons were slain by the Kingslayer? I guess you must have raised your boys shittily then Lord Karstark. Maybe if they weren't so weak they might have at least lived. No one needs to say it, but it would be present in all of his dealings in the future.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Was it said that he was a 'prison guard' or a 'guard of one of the most important prisoners they could have'

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Was it said that he was a 'prison guard' or a 'guard of one of the most important prisoners they could have'
Check and mate.
wink.png

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Varys theories probably getting a little deep (and should be in book thread?) but one thing he doesn't seem to be accounting for in everyone's worship of his big picture scheming is the White Walkers coming from the North. Nobody south of the wall has any clue, and we don't know how far south they are going to get and cause a ruckus with everyone's plans. For being a genius manipulator (and for all his buddies who are politically vying for power ie Baltimore's Mayor), I hope they get a big FU in their plans as white death rains on them from the North.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
nah, the dragons will burn them up. its been foreshadowed a few times. its probably why targaryans in westeros are a must have. could be varys has them in mind

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
nah, the dragons will burn them up. its been foreshadowed a few times. its probably why targaryans in westeros are a must have. could be varys has them in mind
Sorta like "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell," "There must always be a Targ in power"

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm really looking forward to watching this even though I read the books BECAUSE I want to see what changes they make and what they show which was behind the scenes in the book.

Margarey Tyrell being such a good character and having such good scenes is totally unexpected. I wonder how far they will go with Theon...

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
he was terrible aim in the books. there is a scene where sansa see that there are arrows or something similar are strewn all over the yard in KL as he is practicing.
This must be after all that practice. Or he just got lucky. Or they made him a better shot so he'd have at least one thing threatening about him physically, making it a coward's weapon(ask Jaime!) makes sense if that's the idea.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
He was actually aiming at the chair 30 feet away from the boar.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Lol. Actually I think his problem was moving targets because the scene I mentioned had live bunny rabbits running around because joff is rubbish.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
It's a sound theory, it just doesn't make sense to me that he'd allow a civil war because two teenagers might be better rulers than Tywin fucking lannister.

Were all the Targaryans Augustus Caesars and Queen Victorias with exception to the mad king?
I think it's Selmy that explains the madness took like, every other generation. The Mad King's grandfather (Jaerys or something?) was crazy as well but I think it was mitigated. There are *a lot* of stories about the targs though; many of them are venerated as being the best of the best - there are inns named after some when they came to visit that area on dragons etc. Not until the Mad King really started fucking specific people over was their villainy really shown.

I can buy the whole Varys wanting what is best for the realm. At least in the book, wacky things conspire to make sure a targaryen is alive and it turns out Varys had a part in it.

Also, of all the other people in the entire book, Varys needs nothing from anyone. He doesn't even need a companion because he's a eunuch. He needs no gold, or home, or food, because his power comes from secrets, and everyone has them. Other than losing his head, he can safely avert just about everything else, and stave off death by simply vanishing.

In talks with other characters, I think he subtlety gives the impression that he, above all others, understands that the true threat is elsewhere, and believes what he does to be for the good of all. The three targs he has saved so far have been groomed and trained to be rulers, knowing that they serve the kingdom. That is a comment Varys literally makes word for word - that all rulers serve, and they have to safeguard the realm. Viserys was an asshole but fortunately Drogo took care of him. The only thing that changes is that Varys will have to figure out how to get Dorne into the equation (which probably won't be hard since the Viper's death.)

Varys made a gamble, but an educated gamble, and now he has the perfect setup. Varys has never struck me as greedy, ambitious or anything else. Maybe I'm being gullible but I can honestly see him being altruistic.

Also, someone mentioned Tywin. Varys needed Tywin dead because he was fixing things in the empire. The blood feud between the current rulers and targs would have made it necessary to probably kill or at least fight Dany's army with the dragons that the realm so desperately needed. This is also the reason that Pycelle and Kevan end up dead later.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You make a good point. I just think based on his knowledge of Aegon and Daenarys that his gamble was unwise.