GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can accept Arya getting the final blow, I guess, even though the "Price the was Promised" is thrown out the window. But it was done so cheaply. She just magically jumps out of nowhere (and screams while jumping, giving away her position??? why?) and ends it? How about have her disguised as Brann and at the last second she stabs the NK. Or have Jon actually make it to the Godswood, start to lose against the NK in 1v1 combat, and then Arya saves the day. Anything but the anime-teleport-behind-you-heh-nothing-pesonnell-kid bullshit.

I will say that I like that they subverted expectations about the undead being the big bad of the season though. You say you want a show that surprises you, well it's pretty fucking surprising that they just offed the biggest villain and his entire army only halfway through the final season.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think it being dark was a thematic choice. when the dothraki charge in, you literally can't see anything until they are like 5 feet from them. i think that was supposed to add to the night being... well. dark. and you know... full of terror... able things. but yeah, i think the idea was that the army was so vast, that you weren't supposed to be able to see where it ends, because it doesn't. it's just a sea of black. also, the compression issues clearly were working against clarity.

i think it'll be interesting if the show what bran was actually doing later on. he was absolutely unconcerned about the fight, so maybe he was warging up some future plot. it's odd because on one hand, he goes out of his way to tell people he's basically just a chronicler now, but then moves people around like he's playing chess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Damn, 10 pages since last night!? I'm not reading 10 pages of you autists crying about shit. Let me know if there is anything actually interesting I missed!

I saw some posts complaining about image quality. It looked great to me, streaming through HBO Go. Is the image quality better on HBO's apps, maybe? I know Comcast and ATT compress the fuck out of their "HD" shit.

Anyway, episode was pretty awesome as far as the show goes. It's clear(and sad) that George Martin probably doesn't have much input now. Almost nobody died and those that did were mostly B-list characters. You know 'ol Georgey would have killed a shitload of people. In the behind-the-scenes stuff, they said they knew Arya was going to be the one to kill the NK for the last 3 years. I wonder if that came from Martin or if the show runners made that decision. Guess it doesn't matter, since the books will never be finished.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I will say that I like that they subverted expectations about the undead being the big bad of the season though. You say you want a show that surprises you, well it's pretty fucking surprising that they just offed the biggest villain and his entire army only halfway through the final season.

Technically Season 7 & 8 would be 1 season if it was logistically possible, looking at it that way means it's way past the halfway point. I don't think it matters though tbh. We had this discussion after Ep2, but the NK/Undead story was never the primary focus of the show. I do agree with the disappointment after last night, in that we got so much less from so many characters with regard to the NK lore. The only way the NK/undead would be a satisfactory conclusion would be if KL actually participated in the fight as well, and it took place in KL after WF gets overrun. Once we knew it was ending at WF, it was fairly obvious that the NK story would remain insignificant. Now we just need to see if Jon takes the throne, becomes the next NK or what. Since HE is the actual focus of the entire story.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I was always under the impression that GRRM had some input - at least with the major fights. In re: Arya killing NK. I thought it was perfectly done. I couldn't hear what Melisandre said to her before she (Arya) finally understood what she had to do.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I feel like I felt walking out of TLJ.

It was not bad, but it was not what I expected and i am left with the feeling that what I saw was I adequate. NK might was well be Snoke.

Wait... you walked out of TLJ thinking “it was not bad”?

Yeah, theres a very very brief shot of both of them flying (away?) from Winterfell as Sansa watches at the 22 second mark-

True.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Damn, 10 pages since last night!? I'm not reading 10 pages of you autists crying about shit. Let me know if there is anything actually interesting I missed!

I saw some posts complaining about image quality. It looked great to me, streaming through HBO Go. Is the image quality better on HBO's apps, maybe? I know Comcast and ATT compress the fuck out of their "HD" shit.

Anyway, episode was pretty awesome as far as the show goes. It's clear(and sad) that George Martin probably doesn't have much input now. Almost nobody died and those that did were mostly B-list characters. You know 'ol Georgey would have killed a shitload of people. In the behind-the-scenes stuff, they said they knew Arya was going to be the one to kill the NK for the last 3 years. I wonder if that came from Martin or if the show runners made that decision. Guess it doesn't matter, since the books will never be finished.

eh. would he? i mean... it's like the m. night shamalyan twist. everyone's expecting it. it's like the reverse of the first season when they kill ned and everyone's like WHAT?! now people are just expecting everyone to die so when they survive everyone's like WHAT?!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I was always under the impression that GRRM had some input - at least with the major fights. In re: Arya killing NK. I thought it was perfectly done. I couldn't hear what Melisandre said to her before she (Arya) finally understood what she had to do.
She said: "What do we say to the god of death?" a la Syrio.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
There were actually a few things I really hated about the battle:
  1. We have been shown in the past that touching a wight/WW with either Valyrian steel or dragons glass dusts them; yet within one fucking episode we have two high profile cases of this happening (Wun Wun, Night King) yet at other times they are stabbed and either bleed or just collapse into a heap. Arya's stealth kill being the worst example since it actually bled on her instead of shattering.
  2. I really thought we were going to get a great and ominous battle with the Dothrakyi charging scene (superbly done) showing how vast the army of the dead was in relation to the humans. Then we get the same old Walking Dead/Westworld battle where red shirts under a pile of zombies are dead but heroes under a pile of zombies are just scratched at until they can be saved. This, again, could have been remedied with consistency on zombie death (from point 1) where the heroes could be shown surrounded but so adept at fighting that they could dust tons of zombies and keep themselves clean while plebs just got overrun. This also would have made the Unsullied defense amazing instead of the dark/snow shitshow that we got.
  3. I know I mentioned it last night, but the whole set of White Walkers dying to one thrust after 6 years of doing nothing was really disappointing. They could have been interspersed throughout the battle taking on the heroes and given Theon and Jorah the deaths they deserved.
It really was just totally tired and lazy writing by a room full of people that should know better. Khane Khane is totally right when he says that it just hit LOST levels of writing and in this case they had years to write themselves out of a corner. I guess that is why they are all writers and not award winning novelists/screenwriters/whatever the fuck you do when you are good at telling a complete and coherent story.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
eh. would he? i mean... it's like the m. night shamalyan twist. everyone's expecting it. it's like the reverse of the first season when they kill ned and everyone's like WHAT?! now people are just expecting everyone to die so when they survive everyone's like WHAT?!
True that. I have a feeling we'll never know...

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Arya flying assassin shit felt cheap and lazy. As NK is impaling Theon and Jon is about to commit suicide on the undead dragon, my head is spinning with crazy ideas about how they manage to artfully end this.

Like maybe NK kills Bran and touches the tree and all the undead suddenly are back alive and it turns out Bran was the bad guy and the NK is really the bringer of life. Or Bran whips out his arch angel's staff of the apocalypse (255 charges) and goes nutso on the undead army. Or some kinda time travel shit on the rewindo harry potter watch deal. Who knows, but its gonna be something CRAZY. Nope - Arya just somehow makes her way from the bottom of the catacombs trapped by a million undead to arrive in the center of a ring of wall-to-wall undead to randomly one shot KO him. Didn't even bother playing up any of the finer points of the faceless men shit. Just lazy.

That said, I thought the ep was pretty awesome. Super ominous, great music. When the Dorthraki just disappeared into the darkness, I was like oh, they're actually going to make this episode insane. Finally something that will live up to the hype in this show. I was hoping for an immediate return volley of undead blue eyed dothraki charging into the unsullied like 2 minutes later. The undead giant was great as well, though i wish he just crushed that bitch out. Totally unneeded for him to die at all. Guess you can't win em all.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Look here, we put a lot of work into that autism.

• 5Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Caliane

I kinda wonder why anyone bothers worshipping the Seven at this point. I suppose you could make an argument that the magic we have seen is not necessarily the result of a deity, but in cases where worshippers of a god have actual power I'd tend to think people would go with that.
Argueably a forgotten plotpoint. But at one point they did show Red priestesses making conversions and spreading. The other issue is just, who has seen this magic?
Mostly just the main characters, etc. on the other hand, you would think the main character would comment MORE on this shit.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Actually he has said, in many interviews, that he was less interested in the fantasy aspects and more about the political realities of fantasy. His main criticism of Lord of the Rings is that it ends and assumes that everyone loves Aragorn forever by virtue of him defeating Sauron, but what about his tax policy? What did he do about the remaining orcs? Genocide or something else?

In that sense it may well be that GRRM had a big goal of setting up the Night King and all this just to explore the aftermath.

Funny thing is that Tolkien did start a new story set after the death of Sauron and that is exactly what DID happen, a underground movement forms that seeks to bring back Melkor worship and overthrow Aragorn's son.

Edit: Its called "The New Shadow"

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
  1. We have been shown in the past that touching a wight/WW with either Valyrian steel or dragons glass dusts them; yet within one fucking episode we have two high profile cases of this happening (Wun Wun, Night King) yet at other times they are stabbed and either bleed or just collapse into a heap. Arya's stealth kill being the worst example since it actually bled on her instead of shattering.
  2. I know I mentioned it last night, but the whole set of White Walkers dying to one thrust after 6 years of doing nothing was really disappointing. They could have been interspersed throughout the battle taking on the heroes and given Theon and Jorah the deaths they deserved.

Only white walkers get dusted after being touched with Valy steel or dragon glass. Regular wights are just normal undead and you either have to cut them to fucking bits or burn them to stop their reanimation - we've seen arms cut off and still move (presentation to Cersei). Dragon glass does nothing crazy to them, and they have been hacked by valyrian steel by jon and its just normal cuts to them. At Hardhome it was only a white walker who got dusted when jon's sword swung through him.

but yeah I agree the writing was terrible with the white walkers last episode, they all just hang out in the back doing fuck all and then squad up as some sort of weird honor guard to the night king as he strolls into the gods wood, after doing his dumbass "lol fuck your dragon fire" move and really late reanimation in front of Jon. Its just all really terrible pacing wise, there were a million ways the same story beats could have been done in a far more interesting and better way with more white walker action and the Night King being a bit more protective of his ass, cuz you know, if he dies HIS ENTIRE ARMY DIES.

It would have been dumb as fuck but hilarious if arya stabs the night king and he just takes off his mask and its Syrio or Jaqen and he simply kills Arya as he says "What do we say to the God of Death?"

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Yes the mass Calvary charge at the start made no sense, but that is what the Dothraki do vs. live armys to cause them to break and route. The little trickle of survivors running back in near silence really added a nice touch to what maybe the best scene sequence of the series. Even Jorah looking terrified and blindly trying to back back to the safety of the back ranks without a word was effective.

Everything from the lighting of the Dothraki swords, everyone impressed and hopefully at that huge sea of lights spreading. To the silent (as a grave!) survivors running back with horror on their faces. Masterful.

Made no sense tactically! but was needed for effect.

• 3Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I agree with everyone that more characters should of died. Starting with Arya. She and the night king should of killed each other simultaneously.

Bran's whole plan at the start of the episode was to goad the NK into a vulnerable position. Only he could of done it. The NK took no chances otherwise, when Jon ran up behind him he could of wiped the floor with his ass easy, but instead he raised up 10000 corpses between him and Jon. Bran was the only one that the NK could feel "this is personal" about.

Also the NK made sure he personally killed the previous 3 eyed raven. His minions waited for him when they could of just as easily ripped the helpless old man up themselves. NK just has to do it for "reasons".

Last edited: