GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Jive Turkey

Karen
Because they weren't writing the awesome story, it was already written for them. If the fat fuck would have waited 3 years, buckled down, and finished the last two books this would have been 8 full seasons of the best show ever adapted.

I bet he was terrified that no one was going to finish reading his series because the show would've been enough for those of us tired of his slow ass pace. These last 6 weeks must have been the biggest relief in his life; no way he fucks the books up worse than the show....right?

GRRM gets a lot of credit, and yes, he's a great writer of dialogue, but he's really only done the easy bits and hasn't proven he even knows how to tie everything together. Expanding a story is easy. Brining it all back together in a satisfying way is the trick. So far, he hasn't really shown to be anything but a JJ Abrams who can write dialogue. I bet he's terrified too, but more so at the prospect of having to put a bow on everything in a way that won't have him shat on by all the fans

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
i had a riot this episode. Was easily one of the most baffling hours of tv I've ever watched, and all I could do was sit along and enjoy the ride.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
GRRM gets a lot of credit, and yes, he's a great writer of dialogue, but he's really only done the easy bits and hasn't proven he even knows how to tie everything together. Expanding a story is easy. Brining it all back together in a satisfying way is the trick. So far, he hasn't really shown to be anything but a JJ Abrams who can write dialogue. I bet he's terrified too, but more so at the prospect of having to put a bow on everything in a way that won't have him shat on by all the fans

I don't see how he extracts himself from the tedious bog he wrote himself into in books 4 and 5 without a whole lot of hand-waving, if the books ever actually happen.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
They were waiting at Dragonstone and sailed out from behind the cliffs. Apart from a character yelling "it's an ambush!" I don't know what else they could've done.
Your scenario is cool too. I just thought it was fine as is

They could have showed how Dany didn't see sailing ships that have a max speed of roughly 11 MPH in GOOD conditions can maneuver out from behind a cliff face, aim and fire before Dany or any of their scouts see them? I mean, they could have shot the scene with the ships hiding behind the cliff face and the ships waiting for the dragons to fly by, and that would have still been lazy but at least more believable, because those lumbering ships didn't need to roll out and take aim. But they did, they specifically show the ships moving...thus now we have to ask "how the hell did Dany not see these ships moving into position"...Even if you can claim they were lying in wait...how?

And this isn't even getting into the ridiculous of it...Like the fact that Dany didn't send scouts to the fortress she was looking to occupy? She had the greatest sailor in the world, Davos, take the land route rather than advising her navy? This is all stupid but its nit picky. I'd rather focus on what the actual visuals failed to convey..and for me, man..I have zero idea how a dozen massive ships swung around and lined up a shot on a flying target without the target with superior elevation seeing them before they were under attack, on a clear day.

It just screams lazy. They could have done a hundred things to better convey the idea of ambush to the audience a lot better, while also maintaining the fact that dragons are a real threat. (Which is one of the biggest weaknesses of the scene. Showing so little work and sacrifice on Euron's end, to take out such a powerful asset on Dany's end, feels just cheap, it doesn't feel like it fits with the themes we've seen so far in the show.)

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't see how he extracts himself from the tedious bog he wrote himself into in books 4 and 5 without a whole lot of hand-waving, if the books ever actually happen.

He should have stuck with his plan to skip 5 years and only hint back to it. Let the audience piece together what they want. His inability to let go his political plots and skip time is what is killing him, as you said, he's drowned himself in a bog.

Fucker

Log Wizard
That was not am ambush, that was a bunch of boats rolling up on a clear day and killing a dragon. I know they WANTED it to be an ambush. But they were not able to convey that AT ALL to the audience...Because of lazy writing. The only thing they conveyed is that dragons suck when they need to suck and they wanted to make Euron a threat to increase tension in the next battle...and Dragons are unstoppable weapons of mass destruction when they need to be.
A fix for that would have been easy. A foggy early morning. Can't see anything in the sky above and anything in the water below. Dany is out scouting and Rhaegal and Drogon were doing their dragon shrieks.

Then they are silent and gliding through the fog...and a giant arrow whistles past them, and another...and another. Then, the fog is filled with them, and Rhaegal goes down. I'd buy a luck shot in the fog with 100 arrows more than a few impreccably aimed ones in clear blue sky.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
They could have showed how Dany didn't see sailing ships that have a max speed of roughly 11 MPH in GOOD conditions can maneuver out from behind a cliff face, aim and fire before Dany or any of their scouts see them? I mean, they could have shot the scene with the ships hiding behind the cliff face and the ships waiting for the dragons to fly by, and that would have still been lazy but at least more believable, because those lumbering ships didn't need to roll out and take aim. But they did, they specifically show the ships moving...thus now we have to ask "how the hell did Dany not see these ships moving into position"...Even if you can claim they were lying in wait...how?

And this isn't even getting into the ridiculous of it...Like the fact that Dany didn't send scouts to the fortress she was looking to occupy? She had the greatest sailor in the world, Davos, take the land route rather than advising her navy? This is all stupid but its nit picky. I'd rather focus on what the actual visuals failed to convey..and for me, man..I have zero idea how a dozen massive ships swung around and lined up a shot on a flying target without the target with superior elevation seeing them before they were under attack, on a clear day.

It just screams lazy. They could have done a hundred things to better convey the idea of ambush to the audience a lot better, while also maintaining the fact that dragons are a real threat. (Which is one of the biggest weaknesses of the scene. Showing so little work and sacrifice on Euron's end, to take out such a powerful asset on Dany's end, feels just cheap, it doesn't feel like it fits with the themes we've seen so far in the show.)

All fair points

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh god I just had a thought. What if instead of someone killing her, Dany just up and leaves Westeros. Like sort of a 'oh god what have I done' so we don't actually get any real resolution to her story.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
He should have stuck with his plan to skip 5 years and only hint back to it. Let the audience piece together what they want. His inability to let go his political plots and skip time is what is killing him, as you said, he's drowned himself in a bog.

I don't mind the bog (overall) but when he decided to do two more books only he fucked himself. He cannot conclude the series in two books while also meeting his own standards. It's been too long since the previous book for him to go back and decide he needs 3/4/5 more books to end it and people did not like the last time he split one book in to two.

I mean fuck, the last book of the series was introducing long lost heirs and forgotten heroes.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Or better yet, what if everyone who goes up against her next episode dies and we legit do end up with a mad queen ruling over the ashes.

I think I would actually be relatively happy with this.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Elephants would have stopped this bullshit.
3dubbrgkhgu21.jpg

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Or better yet, what if everyone who goes up against her next episode dies and we legit do end up with a mad queen ruling over the ashes.

I think I would actually be relatively happy with this.

This would actually make up for some of the stupid writing. Something extremely dark, like all the wars to remove to targs only ended up with everything EXACTLY how it was before. Right down to Starks being burned in Winterfell and the city on fire.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I never, in the show or books, felt like Dany was a good person or that I was rooting for her. She was always god awful, ignorant, demanding, etc. The starks and their retinue were really the only ones that ever felt good outside of a few other random characters.

Edit: meant to tag Jive Turkey Jive Turkey
what? did you read the books? Dany boohooed over her dragon killing a fucking goat herder. she went out and bathed the fucking lepers, she freed all the dirty fucking slaves. she was literally the jesus character for all the books. she was just some silly girl doing silly girl things while also pretending to be a queen.