GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
and ya know, the thing is his 5th book was just the second half of the 4th book he split up to make it look like he was still actively writing this series. that 4th book was 2005, he's been stuck for a long long long time. after almost 20 years, its obvious he just doesnt care anymore. he is enjoying his success and the assholes who keep pestering him about book 6 are the only thing standing in his way. so get off his back! people have offered to take over the series from him or at the least to work with him to finish it and he still refuses any help. i feel really stupid for ever starting this series. but ya got to write it off. most have already. shit, its been 5 years since the series finale of GoT. its over.
z nation zombie GIF by SYFY

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't regret for reading the series. The first three are probably the best scifi ever written. And this is coming from a Malazan homer. And I'm pretty sure he had a hand in making sure the Expanse was made.

If he wants people to stop bugging him, all he has to do is threaten to find a ghostwriter worse then Benioff and Weiss.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yes, a misuse of the term. Note that I was comparing the Expanse, Song of Ice and Fire, and Malazan, which span multiple genres. I guess just fiction? But that seems too generic.

yeah it's fantasy, definitely not sci-fi in the typical sense. Whilst there are science-like elements e.g wildfire = chemistry any understanding of science in the world is based on a crude medieval esque understanding of the world.

Cybsled

He actually has a conundrum

1) The show revealed how he originally planned the story to go
2) He realized people didn’t like all of it, so now he has to think of new shit while not shitting on everything he wrote before

No one is going to be happy when it comes out.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
He actually has a conundrum

1) The show revealed how he originally planned the story to go
2) He realized people didn’t like all of it, so now he has to think of new shit while not shitting on everything he wrote before

No one is going to be happy when it comes out.

I don't think people would have hated the endings and motivations if they got books and books worth of nuance and inner dialogue to justify the decisions. The problem is that the show did so much wrong in the post books seasons that no one was going to accept the ending.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's nothing wrong with most of the major story points in the latter seasons. The only exception being the Night King needing a dragon to get past the wall.

The buildup and execution of those story points is what sucked. And most people still think Martin could do that better, hence the nagging.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

1714667957031.png

there is an interview he did around s1-2, where he talks about having plenty of time to finish the books before the series. he thought the released books would take it to season 8.

think something happened around 2014 that just killed his desire to finish.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
It wouldn't surprise me if Martin gave the bullet points to D&D such as Arya the faceless assassin kills Night King ( maybe dying in the process) John kills Danaeris, Bran takes the throne and John goes back to the Wall etc. In and of themselves, with thousands of pages of story, this "could" have been ok.

D&D just said fuck it, we got a new gig and we are outta here.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It wouldn't surprise me if Martin gave the bullet points to D&D such as Arya the faceless assassin kills Night King ( maybe dying in the process) John kills Danaeris, Bran takes the throne and John goes back to the Wall etc. In and of themselves, with thousands of pages of story, this "could" have been ok.

D&D just said fuck it, we got a new gig and we are outta here.
gotta give props to Kathleen Kennedy for seeing the instant backlash they got for season 8 finale and just fired their asses during the night. they should have sued her ass for doing something so kneejerk as that, but fuck those guys. (i know the official story is they quit for no reason, but thats bullshit IMO)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lel, I misread astro's comment, my bad.
sorry, i thought everyone knew they fast tracked the GoT finale so they could run over to Lucasfilm for their trilogy. supposedly HBO was begging D&D to stick around for a few more seasons, but instead they told everyone to fuck off and did a quick and dirty season 8 to write this shit off so they could make a new Star Wars trilogy, only to have KK tell them to fuck off for shitting GoT up.

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
No, I knew that, I was just being stupid. I thought Kathleen fired them from GoT.

Either way, it sounds like Benioff and Weiss have underperformed on Three Body Problem as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user