GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I still wouldn't read them.
Me either. I don't know what fans are "obsessed" with this book but they should get a life. I don't know whether the way things turned out was his idea and now he's retconning to try to find a story the fans will like better or if he just knows one ending that will anger the fans and he's afraid of writing another one or if he's just rich and lazy now and doesn't want to work hard when he doesn't need the money. In any case, it's not going to be written organically and as far as I'm concerned, the TV show is the ending and it is what it is and everyone should just get on with their life.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Me either. I don't know what fans are "obsessed" with this book but they should get a life. I don't know whether the way things turned out was his idea and now he's retconning to try to find a story the fans will like better or if he just knows one ending that will anger the fans and he's afraid of writing another one or if he's just rich and lazy now and doesn't want to work hard when he doesn't need the money. In any case, it's not going to be written organically and as far as I'm concerned, the TV show is the ending and it is what it is and everyone should just get on with their life.
I remember I was in college, and I was BSN with some of the guys I work with about hey I need a new series of books to read. One of them suggested A song of ice and fire. So I go down to half Price books which is a chain or at least it used to be here in Texas, really awesome place.

It was summertime and I was about to go on a fishing trip with my uncles and my grandfather, and just wanted to book to read on the plane and when we were just hanging around at the cabin. So I picked up the first one used, and with the size of it I was like this will last me the entire trip.

A few days in for a week vacation, I had blown through it. I remember going to the airport flying back to Texas, I checked all the little shops that have paperbacks to see if I can find the second book and no dice. When I got back home I went back to have Price books and bought the next two books because I believe they were the only ones out of the time. Plowed through those in a week.

Those first three were so good, and I know when the fourth one was coming out I reread the originals, in anticipation for the new release.

Once audible became a thing, I was out of college and older, I got all the books on audio format and listened to them again. Even shared my audible account with my step brother who doesn't particularly care to read, but he even got into it. Then it ended up being that the two of us bitched about when the next book was coming. I think his wife ended up listening to them as well but she does a lot of reading, but still enjoyed them as much as we did.

At the time when people would ask about books I would tell them go pick these up, it's one of the greatest series ever written. I think I even got my stepmom to read them and she loved it, but she's actually got me into Stephen King when I was a kid. We were checking that fat fuckers blog once a week to see if there was any news about the books coming out.

Anyways, I watched the show and it was okay, but I would have been much happier just reading the book series to conclusion.

Fuck that lazy piece of shit though. You were handed everything you had been working on for your entire life by writing books, teleplays, short stories, on a silver platter, and then you decided to take a massive dump of hot wings all over it after a Giants game. I will say as much as I detest King now because of his insane politics, at least that guy still writes, even if not everything he puts out is worth reading. Then you look at a guy like Sanderson who's just a machine, even if he turns out some okay things most of the time.

I don't know it's just a weird thing for me to comprehend how you've been given this golden opportunity to do what I would assume most people believe to be your ultimate passion for a profession, and then you fumbled it, or threw the game, perhaps intentionally.

Ehh whatever, plenty of other good storytellers out there, like I said even if he crapped the books out, I'll never know how it ends.

Sorry for the rant, my wife made bloody Marys this morning 😉

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Are you saying he didn't watch the show? Because the show is how it ends.

There will be no book ending.

We joked a decade ago about how he was too old to finish at the pace he was going. Well he's accomplished jack shit since then. No one even wants to read this next book because it's been 15 fucking years. All interest has died.
13 years

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Did watching the TV show in 2011 not motivate you to read the books?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I was aware of ASoIaF for years and I refused to read it because I had already been burned by Wheel of Time and to a lesser extent The Dark Tower books. I made a rule then that I would not read any more series until they were finished. After S1 of the show came out, I broke my rule and read the books just to better understand who all the characters and such were and I enjoyed them quite a bit but IMO this series has only reinforced my rule about not reading any unfinished series in the future. You can't write a great series if you can't end it and it seems like that's a very difficult thing to do for a lot of writers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
yeah it'll be like wheel of time where Robert Sanderson took Robert Jordans notes and input from the wife and wrote 2? 3? books to finish the series off. Its not a question of if, just when and who.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
somewhat. It's the infamous "5 year gap" that he waffled about over and over until he just decided "fuck it" and shit out 3-4 books worth of filler to pass the time until the story picked up again. He's shit out 2 of those bullshit filler books so far and he lost the plot and has been dragging his feet for 13 years so far on shitting out the 3rd book of useless filler until the 5 year training montage is complete and we can actually pick up the story again.

Since many of you seem unfamiliar with the books, originally the first 3 books end with all the main characters entering into rocky balboa style training montages where basically nothing fucking happens for a while all the kids grow up and become adults and masters at something and then we will pick up again 5 years later:

Arya begins Faceless man training
Bran begins training with 3 eyed raven
Jon learns to be lord commander of the night's watch
Dany learns how to be a ruler (and her dragons grow large enough to be siege weapons)
Sansa learns how to be a lying manipulative cunt schemer under the tutelage of little finger
Samwell becomes a Maester

All this is happening while Westeros basically collapses under the incompetent rule of Cersei who ends up being deposed/killed before we even come back to the story and a Aegon + the Golden Company has taken control of King's landing, with assistance from the Martell's of Dorne.

he couldn't figure out how to do a "5 years later..." skip while at the same time explaining how the Lannisters (outside of Tyrion, who is serving as hand of the queen for Dany) have all been wiped out and Dorne/golden company alliance now rules Westeros lead by Aegon fucking Targaryen (the first born son of Dany's brother Rhaegar, rightful king of Westeros, allegedly killed during the lannister sacking of king's landing by the mountain, except he was secretly swapped and escaped to Essos just like the mad king's other children were after Rhaegar fell). Plus you have the falling out between Dany and Dorne (to explain why Dany feels betrayed by their actions) and you have all the shit going on with the ironborn (explaining where all the fleets come from) and etc etc.

So when Dany finally comes to Westeros to find the war has been over, it's already been conquered by her Nephew who has a better claim to the throne anyway and everyone just wants peace and to lick their wounds and isn't interested in her rule she gets mad and sacks king's landing...maybe sure who knows. As originally planned Dany is the 2nd Villain. ie everyone is concerned about the throne in the stark/lannister war but they should be worried about the dragon queen but really all the while the real enemy is the god damn army of undead marching south... back when the story was just going to be 3 books thats how the story was outlined...

The show merged Jon Connington with Jorah Mormont and Aegon Targaryen with Jon Snow so that's how you end up with Jon Snow killing Dany and somehow that being the end of the show instead of Dany's fall being Act 2 and the fight against the long night being the real ending of the show.

TLDR: Fat man didn't want half the books to be flash backs explaining how we got to this point, but he had already committed to ALL of the fucking main characters undergoing training montages so he's been shitting out, very slowly, books of filler setting the stage for when he can pick the story back up.

Yes big macs and carne asada is going to kill the fat man long before he publishes another book but at some point despite his fucking wishes Sanderson or someone is going to come by and finish the series for him and how it ends will be nothing like the TV show. Well it doesn't need to be, the TV show is it's own thing and diverged so completely from the books that the books cannot possibly end that way.
I knew this but not in so much detail, it sounds a lot better the way you put it.

Like the 4th book opens with King's Landing falling to Dorne just as Arya returns and she's like "Who the fuck are these people? How did this happen?", assassinating Cersei herself and figuring out who to trust after.

I think it was something like he spent so much time explaining the convoluted time skip that it bogged down the story? But then the guy starts writing in universe history books which would have solved that problem!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There are some hints in the books about it but blowing up the Grand Sept at the end of season six reminded me way too much of The Stand. King has said that he didn't know how to advance the story so he had a bomb kill a bunch of people including main characters to give the impetus for the next phase of the story. I know, we'll just kill off this pile of characters! Problems solved on to season seven!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
yeah very unlikely that has any bearing on what will happen in the books (assuming they are ever written) primarily because 90% of the characters aren't the same or even fucking there, lol. Loras is in highgarden recovering from his wounds he took sieging storms end (he also isn't the first born son or even that important of a character, there are 2 other son's) and the entire Tyrell army is effectively sieging King's landing until Margery's trial is over and she is released.

The problem with the TV show is the literal unlimited number of lannister troops to maintain control/peace or to keep Cersei in power, when in truth they are all but decimated, in fact nearly every great house has been completely decimated. The Tyrells have the largest army and are about the only force remaining (not for long, they are about to be invaded by the ironborn). The stormlands are being invaded by the golden company completely unimpeded because nobody has any troops left to do anything about it except for the Tyrell's, but they refuse to lift a finger until Margery is released.

What's left of the Lannister forces are sieging Riverrun led by Jaime and he is about to die or at least be engaged by Stoneheart and the brotherhood.

So while it's entirely possible that Cersei in a mad attempt vengence blows up the sept and maybe kills the high sparrow and margery tyrell, she and her children are then immediately crucified, torn limb from limb and then her and tommen's head decorates a pike.

but tbh I doubt that's really likely at all. Wildfire was Tyrion's thing, not Cersei's she doesn't know shit about it and practically all of it was used at the battle of the blackwater. Sure sure there may be a few long forgotten cache's spread around, but most importantly, Book Cersei is completely fucking incompetent and incapable of achieving anything, has been stripped of all power and autonomy. She will be lucky to limp along into obscurity never to be mentioned again. Literally the "master plan" by Varys was to Kill Kevan Lannister (Tywin's brother and only competent lannister still living in Westeros) to allow Cersei to continue fucking everything up so that anyone could just walk in and take over).

If the sept is destroyed by a long forgotten wild fire cache in the books then it happens entirely by accident of circumstance, it certainly won't be some master stroke by Cersei.

Unlike the TV show which has a super simplified cast and merges many characters into one for simplicity's sake, in the books Cersei isn't even a main character nor is she the main villain of this story. She is only given a POV late during the filler books to see her downfall, because no main character remains to tell the story of whats happening in King's landing while everyone is off doing their training.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There are some hints in the books about it but blowing up the Grand Sept at the end of season six reminded me way too much of The Stand. King has said that he didn't know how to advance the story so he had a bomb kill a bunch of people including main characters to give the impetus for the next phase of the story. I know, we'll just kill off this pile of characters! Problems solved on to season seven!

Loras wasn't missed.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if you read the unabridged Stand novel, you see what a goddamned voluminous mess that thing was. when it was 800 pages it was a quick and fun read with lots of allegory and meaning. the unabridged version which is something like 1300 pages and throws in so much pop culture nonsense that it takes you out of the story so you just shake your head at Roger Rabbit references on the page. next time I went back to the original version and it was good again. King, like Lucas and Cameron needs to keep their fucking hands off their beloved classics. you did it right the first time. it doesnt need you tinkering with it to make it shitty.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
if you read the unabridged Stand novel, you see what a goddamned voluminous mess that thing was. when it was 800 pages it was a quick and fun read with lots of allegory and meaning. the unabridged version which is something like 1300 pages and throws in so much pop culture nonsense that it takes you out of the story so you just shake your head at Roger Rabbit references on the page. next time I went back to the original version and it was good again. King, like Lucas and Cameron needs to keep their fucking hands off their beloved classics. you did it right the first time. it doesnt need you tinkering with it to make it shitty.
Hell yeah!

You get the gay jerking off scene of the Trash Man and some guy in a car on their way out west!

I listened to a CD audio version from the library that was the director's cut or whatever the hell you want to call it, maybe 10 years ago, and when that scene hit I was just like what the hell, but then I remembered the underage gangbang in IT, and I guess it was par for the course.

That asshole does write some decent stuff, but I think all that coke and whatever other drugs / booze melted his brain somewhere along the way. I'm sure getting run over by a van didn't help either, but this was prior to the accident, so maybe the accident actually kept him from being a pedo-weirdo that could have potential you send it to a higher level of strange.

I do know his son running by the pseudonym Joe Hill is a fag. Makes you wonder whether or not ole Stevie touched him where the sun don't shine.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Don't you fuckin' tell me I'll tell fuckin' you.

Yeah, I've read it...
looksgood-mmm.gif

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Hell yeah!

You get the gay jerking off scene of the Trash Man and some guy in a car on their way out west!

I listened to a CD audio version from the library that was the director's cut or whatever the hell you want to call it, maybe 10 years ago, and when that scene hit I was just like what the hell, but then I remembered the underage gangbang in IT, and I guess it was par for the course.

That asshole does write some decent stuff, but I think all that coke and whatever other drugs / booze melted his brain somewhere along the way. I'm sure getting run over by a van didn't help either, but this was prior to the accident, so maybe the accident actually kept him from being a pedo-weirdo that could have potential you send it to a higher level of strange.

I do know his son running by the pseudonym Joe Hill is a fag. Makes you wonder whether or not ole Stevie touched him where the sun don't shine.

Hell yeah!

One of King's most often used novel tropes among magic or sage negros, racist rednecks, the author who saves the day and old ladies tougher than steel is the pedo dads. So it's been a theory among King fans that old Steveo was fiddling his son at night. Who knows if it's true, but he sure does love including them into his older books. And I guess his son wanted to be taken seriously so he stopped Joe King.

:)

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
One of King's most often used novel tropes among magic or sage negros, racist rednecks, the author who saves the day and old ladies tougher than steel is the pedo dads. So it's been a theory among King fans that old Steveo was fiddling his son at night. Who knows if it's true, but he sure does love including them into his older books. And I guess his son wanted to be taken seriously so he stopped Joe King.

If I remember correctly but tommyknockers had a dad in there that his wife would go out of town to visit her sister or something and that he would rape his two young boys. It also could have been needful things. I don't remember the which one but it was in that same era of novels if I'm not mistaken. I just remember reading that for the first time and was like what the fuck is this sick shit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If I remember correctly but tommyknockers had a dad in there that his wife would go out of town to visit her sister or something and that he would rape his two young boys. It also could have been needful things. I don't remember the which one but it was in that same era of novels if I'm not mistaken. I just remember reading that for the first time and was like what the fuck is this sick shit.
that was Tommyknockers i think. son grows up and kills his pedo dad while whispering, "not tonight Ev, not tonight". i think Jesus told Rebecca Paulson that on her Zenith TV. i read all these books a bunch of times back then. before the internet became interesting, books was the only good thing to be entertained by. movies were fun for a few hours, but a good book will keep your interest for a few days. i was a huge fan of King's books. his endings were a disappointment, but the journey used to be well worth it. when you start noticing his tropes, then it starts to fall apart.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
that was Tommyknockers i think. son grows up and kills his pedo dad while whispering, "not tonight Ev, not tonight". i think Jesus told Rebecca Paulson that on her Zenith TV. i read all these books a bunch of times back then. before the internet became interesting, books was the only good thing to be entertained by. movies were fun for a few hours, but a good book will keep your interest for a few days. i was a huge fan of King's books. his endings were a disappointment, but the journey used to be well worth it. when you start noticing his tropes, then it starts to fall apart.
I think his wife would go out of town and then he would get drunk and go buggering. The buggering thing was very specific. When I originally read it I was unfamiliar with the term, so I went and looked it up, and was pretty flabbergasted.

And maybe it was the younger son that didn't get raped but he could hear his older brother getting raped by his pedo dad because they share the same bedroom. The whole thing was just what the hell does this do to advance the plot, and this is pretty goddamn weird and fucked up. Maybe King should be investigated...

Stephen King ladies and gentlemen!

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

King doesn't like Kubrick's version of The Shining because he picked up on the the "Jack's molesting Danny" subtext present in the film. Hey King, how about I have Jack read from

1714934368540.jpeg

while waiting in the lobby for his job interview?

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users