GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Tea_sl

shitlord
Finally caught up. Jesus Christ. That was unsettling. I'm pretty excited for new Sansa material. I started digging the Sansa chapters right about now in the books, even if there are only a couple left, after struggling through them for so long.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Next week is going to blow peoples' minds

Edit: Maybe not, looking at the cast listings it might not be til episode 10
Except the reaction from everyone to this week's episode has basically been, "Ok, fuck it. Apparently he's going to kill any character we may like just a tiny bit." Killing off a major character works when it's rare and surprising. When you just kill off fucking everyone, people get numb to it. I genuinely think people are souring on the show a bit because as soon as they get attached to a character, it's time for GRRM to kill them off. As book readers we're already aware that we shouldn't get attached to someone and it provides us a sort of buffer against it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
With Tyrion's life in the balance nobody is numb to the threat of character death. A lot of people genuinely think Tyrion is going to die.

The thing is it's a constantly expanding universe. People didn't even really know Dorne was a thing outside of a few wine references until Oberyn showed up. Each character exit creates a vacancy for new ones to pop up in their place. The events leading up to Ned's execution were basically a prologue to the story we've been watching unfold for the past four seasons. Oberyn's situation could very well be the same.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Give show watchers some credit, it's not like we stopped reading when good guys died. People are going to be happy that Ygritte dies, they are going to be pumped when Jaime frees his brother and they are gonna go fuckin nuts when big T gets a bolt to the bowels. Then next season everyone will stay excited because of LC Snow and Cersei getting what she deserves.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Also we read a billion pages of breaking fast and loved it. I don't see how the show watchers are different. They're hooked man, plus the end of the season brings new hope. And Tywin's replacement is awesome.

Edit: Lenas knows what's up.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Give show watchers some credit, it's not like we stopped reading when good guys died. People are going to be happy that Ygritte dies, they are going to be pumped when Jaime frees his brother and they are gonna go fuckin nuts when big T gets a bolt to the bowels. Then next season everyone will stay excited because of LC Snow and Cersei getting what she deserves.
I actually took a break from the books after the red wedding. The mountain /oberyn fight was nothing though. Oberyn was much cooler in the show than the books.

nBtHyxw.jpg

Tea_sl

shitlord
Also to me the change from books 1-3 to 4 - 5 is some sense of character optimism. Plot wise shit is getting much worse, but the the cynical machinations of the old guard begin to fade to the optimistic ambitions of the next generation.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I honestly think Dany would have kept Jorah around if he had just been truthful and honest with her. Instead he just babbles excuses and tells her that he loves her. He rejected the first pardon right? That would have been something to bring up. Instead he just tries to bargain and babble his way through his confession.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I honestly think Dany would have kept Jorah around if he had just been truthful and honest with her. Instead he just babbles excuses and tells her that he loves her. He rejected the first pardon right? That would have been something to bring up. Instead he just tries to bargain and babble his way through his confession.
Yeah that scene was awkward in the books and the show. There's really no betrayal of her here. He was sent to spy on her and ended up betraying his homeland for her. His loyalty is unquestionable but she still kicked him out.

Funnily enough my wife (non book reader) said she's a dumbass and now everything is going to shit without him.

Clever girl.

spronk

FPS noob
its so hard watching other shows after a great episode like this. i love 24 but this weeks was so boring and pedestrian compared to GoT.

the whole ser friendzone vs dany thing is great, because there really isn't a right answer. its like what happens if your gf/wife/husband cheats on you, one time? I think most of us would kick them to the curb, no doubts at all. Kind of interesting so many people here think Dany should have given him a second chance. Jorah's mistake was not the spying. it was not admitting it while they were wandering in the desert back in season 2 and asking for her forgiveness, by keeping it a secret for so long he made it almost impossible to trust him.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
its so hard watching other shows after a great episode like this. i love 24 but this weeks was so boring and pedestrian compared to GoT.

the whole ser friendzone vs dany thing is great, because there really isn't a right answer. its like what happens if your gf/wife/husband cheats on you, one time? I think most of us would kick them to the curb, no doubts at all. Kind of interesting so many people here think Dany should have given him a second chance. Jorah's mistake was not the spying. it was not admitting it while they were wandering in the desert back in season 2 and asking for her forgiveness, by keeping it a secret for so long he made it almost impossible to trust him.
Boy you can really tell you haven't spent much time in the GWBYHT if you think the local denizen of this forum would kick someone to the curb for that. Shit I almost forgot Anima's name, but this has brought back fond memories.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
And he said that he should wear a helmet.

That was a strong precursor to the outcome.

Shit, it says a lot about how well a scripted and filmed event like that can affect you. In contrast: just a few days ago I was watching a documentary (VICE) and they were showing the efforts, plus lack of success, that Brazil is putting into cleaning up the Favella's (sp?) - the slums all around Rio. In the lead up to the World Cup, plus the Olympics in another 2 years. Anyways, at one point they had a car with a murdered guy in the boot. The police investigators dragged his dead body out and laid it on the body bag, counting all the bullet wounds. All of this was shown with no blurring or censoring. I was trying to eat some dessert at the time, I'm like: "Oh man really?? Gross!". Felt sorry for the guy etc, but then logged it in memory and moved on. But I've felt like I've had PSTD today after watching this weeks GofT.

- - - -

Also I found this funny:

rrr_img_68295.jpg
rrr_img_68296.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
A long deposition of online outrage combined with thinking wombs are for salt makes me think there might be another mass shooting soon.

Also, I wish people putting together those react compilation videos would leave out the obviously staged ones.

And fuck Lannister cat.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Funnily enough my wife (non book reader) said she's a dumbass and now everything is going to shit without him.

Clever girl.
My wife said the same thing..Right after the scene she turned to me and was like "So; he saves her, doesn't go back to his homeland, then defends her against a horde of barbarians when she uses dark magic--then guides her through the desert when everyone else ran....And she gets rid of him because when they first met, when her INSANE brother was in charge, he was willing to sell information--so Jorah's crime was that he wasn't loyal to the asshole Drogo melted? Is this chick for real?"

I shrugged and told her it was just as stupid as in the books. One of the few times where Martin's writing seemed really cliche and cheesily dramatic for no good reason other than to move pawns around where the story needed them. Any reasonable person would have understood that the pyshco older brother was not someone who inspired, or deserved, loyalty...butwhen his information endangered Dany, he made the right call and was loyal (And after it was her in charge fully, he went all in.)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
But he wasn't 100% loyal, he didn't reveal his plans or the KL plot against her or the reach of Varys. I think that is one way the book was better in juxtaposing Barristan vs Mormont. Barristan basically throws himself at her feet confessing his faults, Mormont hides his hoping she never finds out. I'm really kind of surprised to find so many Jorah/Dany shippers here. He's lucky she didn't have him fed to Drogon.