GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

iannis

Musty Nester
Seems like a pretty effective attack to me.

Defending force: significantly weakened. Oil barrels for wall climbers: Deployed. Scythe defense: Unveiled. Gate: Wrekt

It confused the shit out of me for a minute how the wildlings were able to directly assault the castle walls itself until I remembered: Oh yeah, these two tribes were flanked, they were already south of the wall. That's the entire point of them being there, and the entire reason that they're using the wildfire as a signal beacon (and I assume that they're trying to melt the wall with it, as well... but I don't think that plan works).

He spent his flanking force in order to wreck the gate. Makes great sense to me. The part that doesn't make a lot of sense is that with a horde army, why don't you work your warriors in shifts? A handful of defenders will not hold against a sustained assault.

But again... barbarian horde: that's why.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Wildlings are a lot less keen to throw their life away. They aren't well regulated troops. An all out blitz risks shattering the army. Mance just killed half the nights watch while losing a handful troops. It makes enough narrative sense to not sperg out about it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh look Chuk doing his typical routine after an episode, can we just ban him from the thread? The little boy killing Ygritte, A+, not exactly how I thought the fight in the castle happened in my mind but it was still an amazing episode.
no routine here, i am one of the few basement dwellers here who posted that they loved the episode. you need to fuck off sutekh.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Fight choreography was way better than Blackwater and much better than anything else we've seen on the show.

The scythe was obviously making up for leaving out Tyrion's chain. "Here's your goddamn chain!"

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Fight choreography was way better than Blackwater and much better than anything else we've seen on the show.
That several minute long shot was really amazing. Probably the first time I've seen them try something like that in GoT. I wish more action films would follow that example.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man, that scythe though. When he said scrape the wall and we saw a bunch of ice fall I thought, oh thats a good idea, the falling ice will cause the climbers to fall. I totally wasn't expecting the climbers to be scraped along the mountain like a bug on a windshield.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
A lot of what is going on is because Jon lied his ass off about how many men the watch has. Mance knows better now. He could have won the whole battle right then if he hadn't been so conservative.

iannis

Musty Nester
"wait guys don't pull plz im regenning my mana"
"wait tank plz"
"PLZ"
jumps off
"WHAT THE FUCK TANK!"

Pretty much how i envisioned it
Yeah, that part was pretty funny. I was thinking both, "Like a BOSS" and "Now THAT is how you campaign for Lord Commander" during that short scene.

khorum

Murder Apologist
All the Gilly scenes actually got me wondering if they've scouted a location for Oldtown/The Citadel for s5... which got me thinking if they've made casting calls for Pate or Alleras or any of the Maesters for the oldtown stuff. No news yet either way but maybe they won't have Sam travelling to Oldtown yet next season.

Sam in the Citadel geeking out with magic (that actually starts working when he tries it) and maybe running into a faceless man is actually one of the storylines I had been looking forward to the most in the books.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
A lot of what is going on is because Jon lied his ass off about how many men the watch has. Mance knows better now. He could have won the whole battle right then if he hadn't been so conservative.
exactly. a lot was made of hiding their true numbers this season. the foray to kill the mutineers, etc.

not sure if you guys picked up on this:
fakecrows_zps9ef54b7b.jpg

they dressed up a bunch of strawmen in Night's Watch cloaks and light torches for them, to give the appearance that they had way more numbers at the top of the wall than they actually had. Ygritte falls for it when she's scouting, saying all their men must be up top they only have 20 down at castle black. Mance falls for it when he only sends a small group to attack the wall and test their defenses.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It does make some sense to attack in several places rather squeeze everyone in to the tunnel. Sparta, Hot Gates, numbers count for nothing etc.

I never got why they don't just go to either edge of the wall and sail around. It's not like you have to sail across an ocean. You just go along the coast for half a mile or so, you could do that on a raft with paddles.

iannis

Musty Nester
Probably something to do with they don't have maps.

I'm not being snide at all. From a story context it makes sense. Ygritte saw the windmill and thought it was a city. The wildlings truly are ignorant of what lies to the south, even the educated ones. Not stupid, just completely ignorant.

And that's a good catch. I didn't notice the strawmen, myself.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
no routine here, i am one of the few basement dwellers here who posted that they loved the episode. you need to fuck off sutekh.
I come to the thread and you're bitching for two pages about how a barrel of oil blew up, completely ignoring the fact that THERE'S FUCKING GIANTS RIDING MAMMOTHS. You're the most daft person I've ever met in my life.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
For as much of a cunt as he is, Thorne is one hell of a fucking badass. That entire episode was tits, loved it.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Would have seemed better while they were building it to build massive reinforcements that trapped anyone trying to get at the top. Something like what we use with Barbwire fences but much larger, and nastier.
The wall is like 100 miles long, that's an absolute assload of razorwire there.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Thorne is a dickbag but he's also a legit knight so having him be a pussbag during battle would have been lame. He can and should carve through wildings like Selmy carves cakes.