Gran Turismo (2023)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
2.50 star(s) Rating: 2.50/5 4 Votes
Title: Gran Turismo (2023)

Tagline: From gamer to racer.

Genre: Action, Drama

Director: Neill Blomkamp

Cast: David Harbour, Orlando Bloom, Archie Madekwe, Darren Barnet, Geri Halliwell, Djimon Hounsou, Daniel Puig, Josha Stradowski, Thomas Kretschmann, Maeve Courtier-Lilley, Emelia Hartford, Pepe Barroso, Lee Sang-heon, Maximilian Mundt, Mariano González, Harki Bhambra, Lindsay Pattison, Théo Christine, Nikhil Parmar

Release: 2023-08-09

Plot: The ultimate wish fulfillment tale of a teenage Gran Turismo player whose gaming skills won him a series of Nissan competitions to become an actual professional racecar driver.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Huh. Haven't seen such a direct video game placement movie in some time. Watching the trailer makes you feel like you watched 75% of the film already, of course.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Huh. Haven't seen such a direct video game placement movie in some time. Watching the trailer makes you feel like you watched 75% of the film already, of course.

disappointing to see Neil Blomkamp's name attached to this generic nonsense. Especially as we could have had his Alien project instead.

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Incredibly, it was a thing:
GT Academy was conceived by Darren Cox, a former Nissan Europe executive, in 2006 to help Sony PlayStation racing gamers become professional racing drivers.[2] [3] A small event was held in 2006 in a partnership with Sony, where participants competed in the Gran Turismo game and on an actual track for a Nissan 350Z prize.[4][3] Cox saw the speed in real cars of the gamers and his idea of 'Gamer to Racer' was born.

In 2008, Darren Cox's concept materialized with the founding of Nissan GT Academy, a joint venture between Sony and Nissan, which took its name from the well-known Gran Turismo video game series.[5][3] In the same year, inaugural GT Academy competition took place, with Spain's Lucas Ordóñez claiming victory.[4][3] Following a commendable performance at the 2009 Dubai 24 Hours, Nissan enlisted Ordóñez for its works racing team.[4] Due to Cox's role in establishing and managing GT Academy, his character will be portrayed by Orlando Bloom in a film named after the game Gran Turismo, set to be released in 2023.[6][4]

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Honestly after the 10th Fast movie this seems like a breath of fresh air.

I don't expect the story to be epic or anything but hey atleast you'll have cool looking car races.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
clint-eastwood-gran-torino.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Regardless of that truthful complaint, I'll still watch it. Not in theaters, but I'll pirate it and enjoy it that way.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So my local theaters are doing an early release on Wednesday. I'm still not planning on seeing it in theaters, but they sent out an email and it reminded me.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless they spend 40% of the movie repeatedly attempting and failing to earn gold licences and the remaining 60% caning the same track 100 times in a shitty Mazda 323 to build up enough credits to earn a decent car then this movie will betray our experience of GT.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
double.

Edit: And I was going to post this, but then I realized Orlando Jones and Orlando Bloom aren't the same person.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I ended up seeing this for cheap movie day and I was surprised at just how much I liked it. This movie rules. That said, when I got back to my car after watching it, I didn't have a desire to drive recklessly fast. But yeah, I really enjoyed this one.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Wife wanted to go see this and I begrudgingly did. Movie was pretty dang good, def worth a view, maybe not in theaters. Soundtrack was awesome.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Great feel good movie. Way better then I thought it was going to be. I remember that kid wrecking in that race.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
this movie will hit Netflix end of Dec around xmas time, its a great movie but yeah unless you pirate it probably worth waiting until then. no real replay value

sony has an overall deal to put their movies out on netflix an appropriate time after they get their shekels from VOD

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I don't mind $5 rentals like this one was, I just laugh every time I see a movie trying to rent itself for $19.99, tho. That said, just waiting a month or two for netflix is probably the smart play unless you really want to see it.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Didn't realise ginger spice was in this lol. Man I busted so many nuts to her back in the day

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database