Grand Theft Auto V

Needless

Toe Sucker
Good thing I made my character sleep a solid 9 hours a night, do legit bid-nizz 8 hours a day, and spend time with his family.

GTA: Family Man Edition

Sean_sl

shitlord
They could easily add NPC population filler later, like I said I'll wait a few months before I decide to care. If others don't want to thats fine.
-shrug-
Er, that is not something that is "easily" done. Especially if they're running off host PS3/X360s which have to do calculations for every player connected (which is why the spawn rate is turned way down).

To fix that Rockstar would have to make specialized dedicated servers for the game and get those up and running and make a quite a major patch to the game.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, the online stuff is p2p, which is why I found their excuses for how badly it launched to be very lame. Comparing it to WoW because of the number of concurrent users is silly when you aren't running anything more than a glorified matchmaking service and a database to store character info. There are plenty of websites out there that handle far more traffic than what GTAO could possibly be experiencing, so this was not anything remotely close to breaking new ground.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
original.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So what is the verdict for Online right now(assuming you can connect), is it worth paying for a month of XBOX Live yet? I'm a bit hesitant to start the service back up, I don't want to play it for 20 minutes and realize that it sucks.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I would wait at least until they patch the real mission content in. The experience so far feels fairly bare bones.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the online stuff is p2p, which is why I found their excuses for how badly it launched to be very lame. Comparing it to WoW because of the number of concurrent users is silly when you aren't running anything more than a glorified matchmaking service and a database to store character info. There are plenty of websites out there that handle far more traffic than what GTAO could possibly be experiencing, so this was not anything remotely close to breaking new ground.
Ah. I haven't followed the game much at all. I had assumed that people were playing on large servers with dozens of players in each game world. I thought it was somewhat "massive". My bad!

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
In GTA4, the amount of people/cars/life was scaled back vs single player. It was easily a 50-60% drop. I have not yet touched 5's online yet, but from what I hear its worse than 4's amount of "life" in the online city.

I also vaguely remember having to select a game mode, then area of the city it took place in. If they did not "zone" the area of the online portion of 5, then I can see them scaling back the "life" of the city even more as well. Its not like the hardware for the client end has gotten any better at rendering that many things on screen at once.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
So what is the verdict for Online right now(assuming you can connect), is it worth paying for a month of XBOX Live yet? I'm a bit hesitant to start the service back up, I don't want to play it for 20 minutes and realize that it sucks.
its actually pretty dope and i dont advocate many games, just the countless scenarios that ive encountered online during numerous missions with friends have been epic.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My SP game somehow turned off autosave on it's own and I lost about 4 missions of progress.

Nothing good has happened since I made the Online update.

RE: Online being p2p instead of a server side. That's real retarded, sir Rockstar. Imagine how awesome a game with a full npc population and 50 or so players would be?

This Online mode is turning into quite the watered down pool of piss.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
My SP game somehow turned off autosave on it's own and I lost about 4 missions of progress.

Nothing good has happened since I made the Online update.

RE: Online being p2p instead of a server side. That's real retarded, sir Rockstar. Imagine how awesome a game with a full npc population and 50 or so players would be?

This Online mode is turning into quite the watered down pool of piss.
oh cmon, as much as i would have loved GTA the MMO its just not there yet, next gen console gtas online should and probably will be amazing, doing missions and shit with friends is fun, online is what you make of it right now, and im having a blast doing all the missions with friends/crew members, going around murdering everyone on the map etc.

i should be able to kidnap familys not just steal their cars, game needs work >_<

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
its not everything it should be... but its good enough imo, if they made this game with online and only online in mind... just imagine.

i would imagine a mix of APB and GTA and it not sucking, but i also havent played 4 or any real recent gta games so its all fresh and new to me.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I have such a gaming backlog right now that my care meter is still pretty low, though. I'm willing to give it a while and see if it improves.

intelnavi_sl

shitlord
Heh, stole a Crotti Carbonizzare I saw on the road from a random npc and tried to go to a mod shop to register it - It gave me a "this car is too hot to modify" message and said to purchase high end vehicles on the in-game website. Guess there's no bullshitting that and you have to earn cash to get good cars. Hits home the "pay to win" shit of the paying RL cash for game cash though.
good thing this game is called grand theft auto.

Forbin_sl

shitlord
A patch was just released that fixed the issue i was having with getting stuck just before the first mission. For all of you that were having problems try logging in, i hear it's not completely fixed yet though.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got in on ps3 last night and finished the missions to get out into the "real world". Immediately pulled up my phone and was sprayed by the bullets of some jackass trying to do a driveby on me. Hopped into a car and he started chasing me, this went on for a little while before I bailed out next to a convenient store, ran around the back, and waited. He drove his car between the building and the fence and I ran around the other side, moron got his car stuck and I fucking lit his ass up. Then the dumbass tries to kill me another 4 times in a row, and even though he's got an SMG and I have a pistol, he gets fuckin wrecked every time. Headshots bro, they work.

SO MUCH FUN.

Meatus_sl

shitlord
Patch worked for me. Can now finally go online and made a few couple kills. Did a deathmatch which was pretty fun. City isn't as empty as I thought it would be from reading the comments here.
You can do jobs, deathmatches and more so it's cool enough for me to spend at least a couple days in. Enjoy folks!