Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Here's something fun I just learned (I'm slow). Cook a chicken breast (this works with pork, too), don't cook it too much, and put it in your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Watch it closely, and it will shred the meat for you. No more time spent shredding! Do it at a low speed, and don't walk away from it, so it doesn't pulverize the meat.

Awesome.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My wife and I use our steam cooker quite a bit. It's similar to this:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...130301190153:s

We do chicken breasts in it a lot, when we plan on using the chicken in other things like enchiladas, or soups, or shredded/cubed up for chicken salad, etc. Makes it real easy to cook 3 or 4 chicken breasts, and they are super tender for cutting or shredding. You just really wouldn't want to eat one plain when cooked in a steamer, it's pretty devoid of a lot of flavor. Basically just for when you want to add chicken as an ingredient in something else.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If you roast the chicken breast it will shred plenty. Bonus, you can get the cheaper cut of chicken breast on the bone rather than using boneless. Make that shit ahead of time, shred and refrigerate.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That shit is really good with salty chips but I will try some of the suggestions you guys have mentioned. I never add salt to recipes I give to people because I use way more than the average person, I figured everyone salt's to their taste.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I boil when I'm going to make enchiladas. Small corn tortillas, shredded chicken, ridiculous amount of chile verde, crap load of cheese. Put the chile verde on everything as you assemble and place in the casserole dish. So good.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
At least tell me you're using a court bouillon to boil it.

Or, that you're putting in a whole chicken and adding a ton of aromatics and mirepoix to it. Bonus: The stock can be used as a base for 8 billion sauces, or for delicious soups.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
I really only boil when I want something bland and flavorless. Even braising the chicken would infuse more flavor into the meat, and it requires very little effort. I can understand boiling for facilitating shredding but, if you're trying to minimize the flavor/texture/everything positive about your chosen protein, why use that protein at all?

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just out of curiosity, when do you want something bland and flavourless?
The only acceptable time to boil a chicken is when you are making stock or you have to make bland chicken to feed to a dog with allergies (seriously - fuck pugs with food allergies).

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Just out of curiosity, when do you want something bland and flavourless?
That's the point
smile.png
Outside of pasta, eggs, and potatoes in salinated water, I really don't boil anything.

fuck pugs with food allergies
Definitely a high maintenance dog. We never did find a diet that addressed the shedding issue.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The only acceptable time to boil a chicken is when you are making stock or you have to make bland chicken to feed to a dog with allergies (seriously - fuck pugs with food allergies).
That's the point
smile.png
Outside of pasta, eggs, and potatoes in salinated water, I really don't boil anything.
I get roasting chickens, and boil them to make stock,and then use the meat in soup. I've heard that boiling a cow tongue makes it pretty tender, though.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Cow tongue is not...bad. The most important part is cleaning it - it looks fucking terrible, and it's really hard to tell what you have to get rid of and what you have to keep. You actually need to scrub it too, and then put it in cold water to soak for hours, making sure to change the water whenever it starts looking cloudy.

You don't actually boil it, but simmer it for a rather long time. (2-3+ hrs?) You do the same thing you would do when making stock - aromatics, peppercorns, mirepoix etc.

The *only* time I've ever had cow tongue I prepared it that way, then it went into a lengua, which is some latin soup.

We also subbed it into philadelphia pepper pot soup, which normally includes tripe, but I can't stand it. The cow tongue was not bad in it.

not a big fan of beef tongue but at-the-table shabu shabu style is fucking good. a classic of japanese cooking. they cut it paper thin and you quickly blanch it in a savory broth.

DSCF6275.jpg