Gravy's Cooking Thread

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bros I have a ton of kale, pesto, and garlic that I need to use. Thinking about some sort of pasta. Any ideas?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Pork shoulder is just fine in the good ole oven at about 250F-275F straight on a rack with a drip pan underneath for like 10-12 hours. Just rub it out with your favorite shit and into the oven.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just rub it out with your favorite shit.
Dude. This is the grown up forum. Don't be so juvenile.

biggrin.png

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've made this several times and it's 10x better than normal cornbread.

Corn Casserole Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

I also occasionally add jalapenos to mine if I'm pairing it with spicy food(like chili), or even do finely diced onions, bell pepper + jalapeno to turn it into mexican cornbread

Don't see why it wouldn't also work in a cast iron skillet

You do need a fork to eat it, it isn't as firm as just plain cornbread, its more of a cornbread/cheesy corn hybrid.

You can also swap out the 1 cup sour cream with 1 egg instead, for a firmer/dryer concoction that looks more like traditional cornbread. The sour cream makes it creamier/less cake-like

Alternately if you just want some awesome regular cornbread, just 1 box jiffy cornbread mix and 1 box jiffy white cake mix. Add all ingredients that both boxes call for, and bake. Super fluffy, awesome cornbread.
I'll have to try that one next time, I had to hit the grocery store early and just picked one off of the net. That being said it turned out fantastic, I had never made cornbread before and can't believe I didn't botch it. It went fantastic with the Chicken Chipotle Chili.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Bros I have a ton of kale, pesto, and garlic that I need to use. Thinking about some sort of pasta. Any ideas?
Pasta + pesto, sure. But kale doesn't fit into the equation other than as a side dish, imo. Saut? some onion w/ the garlic and cook down the kale? The only other way I personally use kale is in soups.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's usually safe to substitute kale for spinach. I prefer it most of the time because the kale keeps some of its texture when cooked.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pasta + pesto, sure. But kale doesn't fit into the equation other than as a side dish, imo. Saut? some onion w/ the garlic and cook down the kale? The only other way I personally use kale is in soups.
This. Do not fuck up your pesto by putting kale in there. Have the kale separately.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noob question. I don't usually cook chicken in a stainless steel pan, always in a grill. I tried tonight and while it tasted ok it was mostly just pale colored with no good sear. Am I fucking up by adding way too much oil?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Noob question. I don't usually cook chicken in a stainless steel pan, always in a grill. I tried tonight and while it tasted ok it was mostly just pale colored with no good sear. Am I fucking up by adding way too much oil?
More likely you didn't let the pan get hot enough. Stainless needs to be smoking hot before you get the sear you want.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
More likely you didn't let the pan get hot enough. Stainless needs to be smoking hot before you get the sear you want.
Also, if you're using oil the chicken will just sit in the oil and soak it up if you don't wait until the oil is ripping hot before putting the meat in.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I want to give gumbo a shot. Anyone have a good starter recipe?

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Didn't someone have a dope ass cornbread recipe on here I could make with my new cast iron shits?
I've made this several times and it's 10x better than normal cornbread.

Corn Casserole Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

I also occasionally add jalapenos to mine if I'm pairing it with spicy food(like chili), or even do finely diced onions, bell pepper + jalapeno to turn it into mexican cornbread

Don't see why it wouldn't also work in a cast iron skillet

You do need a fork to eat it, it isn't as firm as just plain cornbread, its more of a cornbread/cheesy corn hybrid.

You can also swap out the 1 cup sour cream with 1 egg instead, for a firmer/dryer concoction that looks more like traditional cornbread. The sour cream makes it creamier/less cake-like

Alternately if you just want some awesome regular cornbread, just 1 box jiffy cornbread mix and 1 box jiffy white cake mix. Add all ingredients that both boxes call for, and bake. Super fluffy, awesome cornbread.
does anyone have a good cornbread recipe they can share before this place shits itself?
I personally like this recipe:Sweet Jalapeno Cornbread Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Always have to have jalapenos or some kind of pepper in my cornbread!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also, if you're using oil the chicken will just sit in the oil and soak it up if you don't wait until the oil is ripping hot before putting the meat in.
Thanks that's what I figured. I'm a bit worried about it sticking to the pan. Maybe I'll see how ramsay does it.

Neph_sl

shitlord
More oil isn't going to help the chicken not stick to the pan, but getting the pan hotter before you add the chicken will. Gotta get that Maillard Reaction going to form a crust on the chicken which will help it release from the pan better.

Also, not sure if this applies or not, but I remember trying to pan sear frozen chicken in college... Now that meat stuck to the pan like hell. Lesson learned: let your meat come up to room temperature.