Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Looking to turn up my taco game here. I'm pretty boring when it comes to tacos.. Just meat and cheese. No lettuce. No guacamole. No tomatoes. No onions

What else can I add? Peppers? Some awesome sauce that isn't old El paso?

Maybe my super tasting is getting the best if me.
Corn...

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
47J4Nuj.png

Hekotat

Try your hand at making some Sriracha Lime sauce or something of the like, or maybe roast some Poblano peppers and dice them up.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I do ghetto fish tacos a lot. Just take frozen tilapia filets (buy in bulk at Costco), thaw, and then bake in a greased glass baking dish at 350 for like 20 min. I rub a shitload of taco seasoning into the filets for flavor before baking, almost like a bbq rub. Just thoroughly coating. Sure, fried fish tastes better but its also 1000x more work and this is almost as good.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Looking to turn up my taco game here. I'm pretty boring when it comes to tacos.. Just meat and cheese. No lettuce. No guacamole. No tomatoes. No onions

Tapatio for some sauce if you want.

Pulled pork or brisket is good too.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Yeah I figured. Does corn work well in tacos? Maybe I can add corn and peppers
G and I loved some tacos and we made all types. The go-to standard though was ground beef cooked with Hatch green chiles, garlic, onion powder or fine chopped onion, chile powder, cumin, red pepper if we felt spicy, black pepper and salt. He would add a little bit of water to the beef when it was browning and then use a wooden spatula to ensure it was "fine". Corn is sweet so you have to be judicious with it. We sometimes would mix corn and pintos or corn and black beans too to add. Like Senor Bisi noted -add the toppings or at least have a salad on the side with all those ingredients. Damn. We thought La Tiera white corn shells were the best - low sodium and low carb thin crispy goodness.

Best "real" tacos ever - Rosa's in Noel Missouri across from the Tyson plant. Holy hell.

Hekotat

G and I loved some tacos and we made all types. The go-to standard though was ground beef cooked with Hatch green chiles, garlic, onion powder or fine chopped onion, chile powder, cumin, red pepper if we felt spicy, black pepper and salt. He would add a little bit of water to the beef when it was browning and then use a wooden spatula to ensure it was "fine". Corn is sweet so you have to be judicious with it. We sometimes would mix corn and pintos or corn and black beans too to add. Like Senor Bisi noted -add the toppings or at least have a salad on the side with all those ingredients. Damn. We thought La Tiera white corn shells were the best - low sodium and low carb thin crispy goodness.

Best "real" tacos ever - Rosa's in Noel Missouri across from the Tyson plant. Holy hell.

Blasphemy, Gringo's trumped all when they had the Pancho Villa sauce!

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Blasphemy, Gringo's trumped all when they had the Pancho Villa sauce!
I can't compare them, I have never been to a Gringo's.
The memory of the discovery of Rosa's may be clouding my decision, but soft small corn tortillas with meat, cilantro and onion only was a delight. Plus we tried the tripa taco there; tasty but oh so chewy. I think G tried the lengua there too.
Does anyone here like tripe? I have only had it there in a taco and in NM in menudo.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The biggest improvment you can make to tacos is to make your own hand pressed corn tortillas. The difference between store bought and hand pressed is night and day.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Or find a local tortilleria and buy from them. Not just a Mexican grocer, but a place that makes tortillas fresh.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Mrs. Gravy do you have a sous vide? If you want to be a member here there are certain strictures we adhere to.
Is this a trick question?

Edit: See posts of 6/15/15 (I couldn't be arsed to link it)Mmmm lamb chops. I think we have the same one/Anova you ordered, mebbe. I don't know - my role with the sous vide was to fill the stock pot with water and double Archimedes ziploc. G did the rest; I hope I can find the book of instructions. G had a tendency to either toss things he didn't think necessary or to place them in locations I would not think were logical but that he did. He was probably right most of the time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The peppers and corn in my tacos did spice it up a bit, but I'm still missing something. You'll never sell me on lettuce and tomatoes so it's not that. I might try onions even though I'm not a big fan. Maybe I'll make my own taco seasoning and hit it with some spice to make it hotter

agripa

Molten Core Raider

Adobo sauce, ancho chilies, cotija cheese, chopped cilantro, cr?me fraiche, refried beans, rice, not guacamole but avocado mashed with sea salt. Use heirloom tomatoes they actually taste much better. Use corn tortillas but cook them before eating. You can cook the corn tortillas in two ways heat over medium heat for 30 seconds on each side or heat up some oil and fry them. I know you said no onion but try green onions much milder and taste great. Roast some tomatillos on the grill and make a salsa from it.

Hekotat

The peppers and corn in my tacos did spice it up a bit, but I'm still missing something. You'll never sell me on lettuce and tomatoes so it's not that. I might try onions even though I'm not a big fan. Maybe I'll make my own taco seasoning and hit it with some spice to make it hotter
Avacado or maybe refried beans? Did you add cilantro?

Hekotat

I made that KFC crockpot chicken, that is a very tasty cheap meal with very little effort. Kudos to whomever posted that recipe.