Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, going balls deep until her blood work comes back better. It is surprising how much carbs are in things I didn't realize. Like kale. Fucking kale? I love kale...

The salad dressing I like (Newman's own roasted garlic parmesan) only has a tiny amount of carbs. But yeah, almost no sauces. So far I bought a truckload of chicken, some steak and ground beef, and some pork tenderloin with some salad and fresh broccoli and cauliflower. The biggest change for me will be breakfast and dinner. Breakfast every morning for me was a English muffin with something on it or some yogurt or some oatmeal or gruts. None of that works anymore. So yikes.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Get that fiber going. High protein / low carb makes for some rough shits in the early stages.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, going balls deep until her blood work comes back better. It is surprising how much carbs are in things I didn't realize. Like kale. Fucking kale? I love kale...

The salad dressing I like (Newman's own roasted garlic parmesan) only has a tiny amount of carbs. But yeah, almost no sauces. So far I bought a truckload of chicken, some steak and ground beef, and some pork tenderloin with some salad and fresh broccoli and cauliflower. The biggest change for me will be breakfast and dinner. Breakfast every morning for me was a English muffin with something on it or some yogurt or some oatmeal or gruts. None of that works anymore. So yikes.
Yea morning sucks, really it's just eggwhites or whole egg, idk if you can have fats too?, yogurt is full of carbs and really the only other option is like cottage cheese. Of course you're gonna have to find the plain, cuz the ones where they add the pinnapple, jacks up the carbs, your basic single serve cottage cheese will have 4-5g of carbs.

Oh i also use mustard to cook w/ too. If you really need a sweet craving, try cooking w/ diet coke and chicken, treat it like beer.

Honestly, shopping is a lot easier now, ha i skip the fruit section entirely, say fuck you to grains and breads.

try what i do w/ veggies, i cook squash w/ half a cup of bone broth. (i just make chicken stock w/ no salt, just celery and onions. i skip the carrots, got too much sugar, you can probably add it tho) I add dried shrimp, only need like a tsp.
x3210082011.jpg.pagespeed.ic.tunVxHOtwy.jpg

it's pretty asian, mixes well w/ the squash, you can also try zoodles (squash into noodles), i don't use butternut, just either green or yellow squash. (butternut is really starchy, so more carbs, avoid)

Then i just top it off by steaming brocc/cauliflower

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
When I do low carb, my go to snack is pork rinds. I eat the fuck out of them. Satisfies that crunchy craving that is missing in so much low carb cooking.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive been low carbing it for the better part of a year now. Usually keeping it less than 50g. Its not that bad once you get used to it. I dont even miss the shit anymore to tell you the truth. My blood last time checked was excellent. Like 2x better than the year before.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I enjoy cooking and baking(bread especially) too much to be low carb for anything other than short periods of cutting weight. I can tolerate it, but it's not fun.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're kinda screwed Chaos. There's not much you can do other than meat and green, leafy veggies. 20g is a hardcore keto diet.

If you like vinegar you can do a lot with it to change up flavor profiles without adding carbs. Full fat greek yogurt should be doable and you MIGHT be able to find some decent heavy cream based sauce recipes.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only problem with going low carb is taking dumps. God I was so constipated on keto.

Khane

That low carb chowder looks pretty good. I wouldn't be able to eat only one serving (1 cup) of it though. A bowl of it would be like 3-4 servings for me.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
That low carb chowder looks pretty good. I wouldn't be able to eat only one serving (1 cup) of it though. A bowl of it would be like 3-4 servings for me.
Yeah, I usually did at least 2 servings for a "bowl".

Khane

That's the kind of recipe that's a great side though. Instead of meat and a veggie/salad have meat and some soup. Even though the soup has meat. You need more meat!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah 20g per day is brutal, even some of the veggies have carbs in them so all that shit adds up quickly. Its like an all fat, protein and leafy greens diet. Even on my 50g+ diet im afforded some low carb flatbreads and shit like that. They sell them at my grocery store, its like a pita pocket and the whole thing is like 15g net carbs. You put them into the toaster cut in 1/2 and they open up, then you can split the halves into two and make a sandwich.

But ive never had the poop problems. I read all about it but I guess everyone is different. But it does get easier the longer you go. the first weeks are brutal because your body has to switch to working on fat instead of carbs. But once that fades its no problem. Your body gets used to it and you can even fall into keto much quicker than before. Like say you have a cheat/weakness day and have some pizza or some shit, it only takes me like less than a day to get back into keto.

Ive just been eating lunches lately and basically not eating dinners. Its kind of been like a pseudo fasting. But some nights I still have alcohol, especially now that spring is around cause fuck it. Im just in maintenance mode now. Im at around 195-200 and im happy with that. Been maintaining this for about 5-6 months now. Feel much better now, have tons more energy, tons more sex drive. Its like I reversed by like 10 yrs the way i feel.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
This was my favorite low carb pizza crust when I was doing keto. Cauliflower pizza crusts are good too, but I thought this was way tastier. Give it a shot!

8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
3 eggs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon basil, optional
Toppings of your choice *

Mix the cheeses, eggs, garlic powder and basil well. Line a 16-inch pizza pan with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Evenly spread the cheese mixture in the pan, almost to the edge, making it as thin as possible. Bake at 450? 15-20 minutes until golden brown. I suggest checking it after about 10 minutes. If it's getting very dark on the edges and top, turn the oven down to 400? and continue baking until brown all over and no longer pale on the bottom. Pat off any excess grease then add your toppings. Keeping the oven rack in the center position, put the pizza under the broiler until the toppings are hot and any cheese you added is melted and bubbly, about 4-5 minutes.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yes, you don't count dietary fibers as carbs. They don't spike your insulin like real sugars.
Yeah that's what confused me. They were taking the total carbs and just subtracting dietary fibers and I was like "waah?" I guess it makes sense.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This was my favorite low carb pizza crust when I was doing keto. Cauliflower pizza crusts are good too, but I thought this was way tastier. Give it a shot!
Yeah, whent he dr (different dr thank god) told me I had that wheat thing you suggested this and I liked it. Going to make it for my wife.