Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Gonna sous vide something for a group of 12 adults (and likes a billion kids, but the kids can have hot dogs). Any suggestions? Was thinking steaks and then just searing them on a cast iron skillet over the grill. Pork Tenderloin was on the list but the group had that at our last meet up (yesterday).

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You're going to put a cast iron skillet on your grill? Why not just sear them directly on the grill?

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Tomatos are coming in bunches now, especially the Sun Golds.. I make this every year. So fucking good. (Sub 1/2 Paprika and 1/2 Cayenne for the piment d'espelette)

Sun Gold Tomato Gazpacho
Gazpacho

1 cup cold water
2 medium garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
2 pounds ripe Sun Gold or other yellow cherry tomatoes, stemmed and halved, any juices reserved
1 English cucumber, peeled
1 large yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into large pieces
1 red bell pepper
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon piment d Espelette
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground pepper
3/4 to 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, as needed
2 tablespoons minces chives

Pour the water into a large bowl and add the garlic and onion. Reserve 1 cup of tomatoes for the garnish, and add the remaining tomatoes and their juices to the bowl.

Peel the cucumbers. If using Armenian cucumbers, cut 1 cucumber lengthwise in half, put cut side down on the cutting surface, and cut into large half circles. If using an English cucumber, cut it lengthwise in half and scrape out the seedy centers, then cut one half into large half circles. Add the sliced cucumbers to the tomatoes. Add the yellow pepper and let all the vegetables marinate, tossing once or twice, for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the remaining cucumber into small dice for garnish. Core, seed, and finely dice the red pepper for garnish. Refrigerate until serving.

Transfer the vegetables, with their marinade, to a blender and, starting on low speed and then increasing the speed, blend until completely smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh conical strainer into a bowl. (If you have trouble passing the soup through the strainer, blend it again. Only the tomato skins should remain in the strainer).

Rinse out the blender jar and return the strained tomato mixture to it. Add the vinegar and Espelette, season with salt and white pepper to taste, and blend to combine. With the blender running on medium-high speed, gradually add the oil, blending until the gazpacho is velvety smooth. Taste and add additional vinegar and/or Espelette if desired. Refrigerate the gazpacho until cold, or for up to 2 days.

If the gazpacho has separated into two layers, pour it into the blender and blend to recombine. Pour the gazpacho into a large serving bowl and garnish with a sprinkling of the diced red pepper and cucumber, a few tomato halves, and some of the chives. Serve the remaining garnishes in small bowls on the side.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You're going to put a cast iron skillet on your grill? Why not just sear them directly on the grill?
I guess it might give more of a sear since it has the full surface area of the pan, but why not just do it on the stove at that point.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I guess it might give more of a sear since it has the full surface area of the pan, but why not just do it on the stove at that point.
Stove is out of commission at this point, and we'll be outside (probably).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gonna sous vide something for a group of 12 adults (and likes a billion kids, but the kids can have hot dogs). Any suggestions? Was thinking steaks and then just searing them on a cast iron skillet over the grill. Pork Tenderloin was on the list but the group had that at our last meet up (yesterday).
sous vide is not presentation food out the bag and looks downright nasty, but yea if you have the grill already going just throw em on there for a quick seer, might not have enough time to get hatch marks tho.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i made some italian hot dog sammiches tonight in my dutch oven
rrr_img_137200.jpg

rrr_img_137201.jpg

i dunno if anyone outside of the NYC area makes these, but you should try it sometime.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So theFoodLab (Kenji) posted a picture on instagram of a new technique for brisket via sous vide... he said the recipe is coming soon. It looked to have actual bark on it, so I'm sure he used a torch or something, but that might be interesting to do.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I was born and raised on Long Island and have never heard of an "Italian Hot Dog Sandwich". I don't think it's a Jersey thing either. I think it's an Astr0 thing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I was born and raised on Long Island and have never heard of an "Italian Hot Dog Sandwich". I don't think it's a Jersey thing either. I think it's an Astr0 thing.
never heard of italian hotdog? or you mean the samich part? sammich part was me, italian hotdogs are a thing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Never heard of Italian hot dog either.
Italian hot dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An Italian hot dog is a type of hot dog popular in New Jersey, United States.[1]
Preparation[edit]
There are numerous ways to prepare an Italian hot dog. The basic dish consists of a cooked (usually deep-fried) hot dog placed in an Italian roll or pizza bread, and topped with a combination of fried bell peppers, onions, and potatoes.[2][3][4] The Italian Hot Dog a New Jersey tradition similar to Philadelphia's Philly Cheesesteak or other regional sandwiches.[1]
so anyway, if you guys never had one, its easy to do and delicious.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I eat my hot dogs with specific chili made for hot dogs. Mustard and kraut also.

But seriously, you cooked them in your dutch oven? That's fucking disgusting.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Looks like he fried them in his dutch oven, bro. and anything firied is like food from the gods themselves.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I eat my hot dogs with specific chili made for hot dogs. Mustard and kraut also.

But seriously, you cooked them in your dutch oven? That's fucking disgusting.
yeah, i deepfried the hot dogs and cut potatoes in it, whats wrong with that? i made my zeppoles in it as well.
rrr_img_137214.jpg

rrr_img_137215.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So theFoodLab (Kenji) posted a picture on instagram of a new technique for brisket via sous vide... he said the recipe is coming soon. It looked to have actual bark on it, so I'm sure he used a torch or something, but that might be interesting to do.
Yeah I've done it. So, so so good. I think i did it for 48 hours at like 135.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yeah, i deepfried the hot dogs and cut potatoes in it, whats wrong with that? i made my zeppoles in it as well.
rrr_img_137214.jpg

rrr_img_137215.jpg
You're not allowed to cross racial barriers dude! you don't see me frying up some buttermilk chicken in my wok!

Jungle Fever no bueno.