Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I bought a Misen chef's knife and paring knife recently. They started out on Kickstarter. I decided to try them based on the price and the fact that they are highly praised by Kenji. I got a free paring knife because of a promotion but normally the chef's knife is $65 and the paring knife is $30. I've only had them for a couple of months but I'm using them non-stop because my shuns are all dull and I've been lazy about getting them sharpened. The Misen knives are very well made and very sharp. I'm very happy with them.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I bought a Misen chef's knife and paring knife recently. They started out on Kickstarter. I decided to try them based on the price and the fact that they are highly praised by Kenji. I got a free paring knife because of a promotion but normally the chef's knife is $65 and the paring knife is $30. I've only had them for a couple of months but I'm using them non-stop because my shuns are all dull and I've been lazy about getting them sharpened. The Misen knives are very well made and very sharp. I'm very happy with them.

Hrmmm... I have a Misono UX-10 chef's knife and I gotta be honest... that was a bad buy. I'm sure the knife is fantastic for people who baby it and take proper care of it but I kind of beat the shit out of my knives and I end up having to sharpen the damn thing with a wet stone like every 3 months. Basically what I'm saying is I don't think I want another carbon steel knife because I don't need the benefits it would offer a true chef and I don't want the upkeep associated with them. And the Misen's appear to also be carbon steel.

Might just do what I should have done the first time and get the Victorinox chef's knife along with the paring knife.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Hrmmm... I have a Misono UX-10 chef's knife and I gotta be honest... that was a bad buy. I'm sure the knife is fantastic for people who baby it and take proper care of it but I kind of beat the shit out of my knives and I end up having to sharpen the damn thing with a wet stone like every 3 months. Basically what I'm saying is I don't think I want another carbon steel knife because I don't need the benefits it would offer a true chef and I don't want the upkeep associated with them. And the Misen's appear to also be carbon steel.

Might just do what I should have done the first time and get the Victorinox chef's knife along with the paring knife.

I think the Misono is Stainless Steel, no? Besides that sharpening every 3 months for a knife you abuse means it is made from good steel to last even that long.

If you don't want to maintain a knife then the go to move is to buy cheap stamped knives and run them through the sharpeners that take off a lot of metal and just toss them when they get too thin. This is a perfectly valid alternative to buying and maintaining an expensive knife that a lot of chefs swear by.

Khane

The Misono is absolutely carbon steel (it's actually the Misono Swedish I misspoke) and it's apparently very reactive carbon to boot. It's definitely made from good steel, but it's not really meant to be a beater knife. I'm not a chef and I don't treat or use my knife like a chef would.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The Misono is absolutely carbon steel (it's actually the Misono Swedish I misspoke) and it's apparently very reactive carbon to boot. It's definitely made from good steel, but it's not really meant to be a beater knife. I'm not a chef and I don't treat or use my knife like a chef would.

Ah, yes, the Swedish line is Carbon Steel. I've been eyeballing a Carbon Steel knife because I am stupid and apparently want another pet to take care of :D I think I will hold off though, have a few other big purchases coming up soon.

If you don't want to spend a lot then the Fibrox are probably the biggest value proposition for knives. Can't go wrong there.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20200127_200109.jpg

second attempt, first attempt i stuck the peel too early and it fell apart inside.

bread is good taste, will use less sauce and cheese.

gonna get a different peel, i have fucking 4ft peel (clicked the wrong one heh), decided to try it anyway, it's not as unweildy as i thought, but i'mma try a 36in peel, i mean this thing i have now is like a fucking broom, but you need at least a 2ft handle with this to really shove it in deep imo

i'm thinking about this grill table for it?
6f613b3ea6bf68a662a337ff1fadb96a.png

i have no outdoor furniture, and it's actually just sitting on my outdoor porch floor atm, any thoughts on this? looks like its one of those tables you get for a picnic bbq

i think i'll get this cover for it,
18e9090d0cc6e0cd7aaebe1b983db33e.png

it can be converted into a stupid looking carrybag
6d4df155a7cc0fca347c0697ef2f9f8f.png

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Am I missing something? The knife I linked is not a Misono, nor is it made of UX-10.

Khane

From their website:

"The Chef’s Knife is made with AICHI AUS-10 steel, which offers an even better balance between lasting sharpness and durability with 2x the carbon content of some other “premium” knives. "

Reviews of that type of steel seem to indicate it's more durable than other carbon steel though, so maybe it's not as prone to the wear of tear and upkeep requirements of a knife like mine.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
From their website:

"The Chef’s Knife is made with AICHI AUS-10 steel, which offers an even better balance between lasting sharpness and durability with 2x the carbon content of some other “premium” knives. "

Reviews of that type of steel seem to indicate it's more durable than other carbon steel though, so maybe it's not as prone to the wear of tear and upkeep requirements of a knife like mine.
oh theres two ver,

the first one is aus-8, this is the new 2.0 aus-10 steel, well aus10 is better at keeping an edge anyway.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Made a bunch of beef jerky to vacuum seal. Used the Food Wishes recipe and it came out nice, I plan on trying some other recipes as well.

Color is nicer than in the picture, I don't have proper color balanced lights so anything I take a picture of in the kitchen looks quite yellow.
IMG_20200128_124959876 - Copy.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Buying a bunch of spices today, going to put together a gang of biltong spice and do it up. They sell premade shit on amazon but it's just chemicals and sugar, defeats the purpose.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Buying a bunch of spices today, going to put together a gang of biltong spice and do it up. They sell premade shit on amazon but it's just chemicals and sugar, defeats the purpose.

That sounds awesome. I'd much prefer to go the dried/cured route, but with the wife being pregnant I made sure this batch was cooked to 70C. I find the texture just dried and not cooked better personally.