Gravy's Cooking Thread

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I remember that article. Used to read serious eats everyday. It's how I've been cooking my dogs and brats ever since. We enjoy it, and anytime I've done it that way for friends and family, every one likes it, as long as they like sauerkraut.

Definitely try it out.

I use to do this till I got my pellet smoker now I just take a couple hours and do em low and slow perfect everytime

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I use to do this till I got my pellet smoker now I just take a couple hours and do em low and slow perfect everytime
That's a pretty good idea.

I've been eyeballing a pellet smoker for a while, just don't have the room for one right now. I'd really enjoy being able to do easy cold smokes for charcuterie, cheeses, etc. Would be nice for the convenience, too.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That's a pretty good idea.

I've been eyeballing a pellet smoker for a while, just don't have the room for one right now. I'd really enjoy being able to do easy cold smokes for charcuterie, cheeses, etc. Would be nice for the convenience, too.

oh but you do

2455809664089c30be23cc804868f76c.jpg

gmg davey crocket, this is what my parents use and it works well for them

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
prime day sales so i figured i might as well get a 8qt instantpot since theyre going out of business and my 6qt has served me well for years, newest one is going for 120, from 150
Instant Pot Duo Plus, 8-Quart Whisper Quiet 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, App With Over 800 Recipes, Stainless Steel

really only buying cuz i know instantpot is going under
theres a sale now
i might as well upgrade from 8qt to 6qt since i do lots of soups anyway

of course i know there are many other copycats around, ninja being one of them. hey i bought the super ninja dual instantpot+air fryer combo and guess what, the element stopped working after a month or so.

*edit
changed order to the pro, same price but it has a memory function i want

Last edited:

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
prime day sales so i figured i might as well get a 8qt instantpot since theyre going out of business and my 6qt has served me well for years, newest one is going for 120, from 150
Instant Pot Duo Plus, 8-Quart Whisper Quiet 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, App With Over 800 Recipes, Stainless Steel

theres a sale now

of course i know there are many other copycats around, ninja being one of them. hey i bought the super ninja dual instantpot+air fryer combo and guess what, the element stopped working after a month or so.
They filed for reorganization bankrupt protection, not sure that's same as going out of business, though I did think I should grab an extra pot so I can cook between dish loads.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They filed for reorganization bankrupt protection, not sure that's same as going out of business, though I did think I should grab an extra pot so I can cook between dish loads.
thats what i plan on, gonna keep both around until i'm comfortable w/ the 8qt and then leave the 6qt in the pantry but still accessible

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't understand exactly how bankruptcy protection works but I read somewhere that their debt load is so large relative to their revenue that they may be forced to dissolve despite the chapter 11. I went ahead and bought an older model 6 quart for 80 bucks but it showed up in the middle of the derecho power outage so I haven't fiddled with it yet. Based on what I read here and elsewhere I made sure to pick up some extra silicone rings too but now I sorta wish I had gotten the off-brand colored ones instead of clear ones from IP itself.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor

theres a sale now

lol looks like they've changed a lot not sure I can get the pot for my much older one

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I haven’t owned or used an instant pot before. Is this a kitchen must-have? I’m getting some FOMO feelings hearing about this bankruptcy stuff, but I’m not sure what I’d actually use one for.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I haven’t owned or used an instant pot before. Is this a kitchen must-have? I’m getting some FOMO feelings hearing about this bankruptcy stuff, but I’m not sure what I’d actually use one for.
i've had mine for years, i make tomato/beef soup that takes a while to breakdown the bone stuff (collegen or whatever), with a pressure cooker, it's way faster, also compared to a regular stove pressure cooker it's safer and easily set and forget (i had an old school pressure cooker as well, w/ that you'd have to watch it boil, then come to steam, then make sure to release and not blow shit up, oh and if you had a gas stove, if you had to turn the heat down to low and the flame blew out, then youre just putting gas into the house)

they also tout all these other uses, the newer ones can sous vide, sure i guess, yogurt? idk i don't do it, eggs, were ok but annoying, rice, nope.

it is touted for canning, i don't can but if i did, it'd be w/ the instantpot

i don't think you should have any FOMO, there are many copycat options available if you think you need an instantpot down the line.

Last edited:

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it is touted for canning, i don't can but if i did, it'd be w/ the instantpot

Unless they changed methodology on the new models, it is NOT appropriate to can EVERYTHING with. My older instapot only gets to 12 atmo's, and you need 15 to safely can some things.
1689092982251.png

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not meant to be used directly for canning, rather it allows you to process things for canning much quicker. One good example that Lanx gave was stock, I did a batch of bone stock in my 16 qt stock pot and even after two days at a simmer I could have gotten more collagen out of the bones, final yield about 5.5 quarts of stock. Pretty sure my 6 qt IP could produce the same amount of stock in less than a day just by running multiple smaller batches until the desired quantity was reached. If you're filling pints instead of quarts then the smaller batch size hardly matters.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

It was a huge trendy item with moms that were shit cooks. Very over hyped item by people who will spend twice the time making something they couldore easily make in a dutch oven or just regular stock pot.

That said, if you're actually wanting specific pressure cooker functions it's handy, I guess.

My experience is almost everything I've tried from other people was shit and the wrong tool. I've had hood pressure cookereats, nit not from the type of cook that is like omg instant pot.

Myself, it's been handy at times for beans, nut I rarely use it outside of an easy pot luck warmer.

Mt girlfriend uses it for hard boiled eggs and cooking from frozen when we forget to thaw meat for the dog.

Had even tried yogurt and it was worse than my 15 dollar yogurt warmer.

Overall, have never been impressed and even the few things it's serviceable for its not exactly necessary. It's like many gadgets that try to be all in one and becomes mediocre at all.

Oh yeah, boiling the hell out of bones to make a stock and not have to worry about evaporation. That's the one thing I really like it for.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It was a huge trendy item with moms that were shit cooks. Very over hyped item by people who will spend twice the time making something they couldore easily make in a dutch oven or just regular stock pot.

That said, if you're actually wanting specific pressure cooker functions it's handy, I guess.

My experience is almost everything I've tried from other people was shit and the wrong tool. I've had hood pressure cookereats, nit not from the type of cook that is like omg instant pot.

Myself, it's been handy at times for beans, nut I rarely use it outside of an easy pot luck warmer.

Mt girlfriend uses it for hard boiled eggs and cooking from frozen when we forget to thaw meat for the dog.

Had even tried yogurt and it was worse than my 15 dollar yogurt warmer.

Overall, have never been impressed and even the few things it's serviceable for its not exactly necessary. It's like many gadgets that try to be all in one and becomes mediocre at all.

Oh yeah, boiling the hell out of bones to make a stock and not have to worry about evaporation. That's the one thing I really like it for.
yea as a soup/stock it's amazing, a few posts back i said my best curry to date has been to ditch using the instantpot and going back to my old faithful crockpot

and as i've checked out, in order to properly pressure can, it has to reach 15psi, and instantpots are rated 10-12psi (except the instantpot max which is designed for pressure cooking and does 15psi), so yea, they try to shoehorn many functions like... baking a fucking cake in it. (i tried a cheese cake, it was ok...)

but if your main purpose is 99% to make stews/soups/broth then it's amazing, but atm i wouldn't cook a meal in it.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Fuck you Lanx Lanx . You started talking about prime day, and I just started looking around and got sucked in. Ended up ordering a rotisserie / Pizza extension for my Weber kettle.

I think I actually had one on a wish list and it populated. Wife and I have been talking about making Wood fired pizzas for a while so should be fun. I really want to do a duck on the rotisserie. I bet I could use it in conjunction with the slow and sear the maximize my heat and fuel consumption.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fuck you Lanx Lanx . You started talking about prime day, and I just started looking around and got sucked in. Ended up ordering a rotisserie / Pizza extension for my Weber kettle.

I think I actually had one on a wish list and it populated. Wife and I have been talking about making Wood fired pizzas for a while so should be fun. I really want to do a duck on the rotisserie. I bet I could use it in conjunction with the slow and sear the maximize my heat and fuel consumption.
come on dawg, prime day was coming, you think i wouldn't be looking at shit to buy? my alerts grew 6x today heh

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users