Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How come? I've not used one, but I know folks that swear by them for the ease of use / set and forget type deal.
the bark looks so much better (tasted) on my vertical smoker than what i had achieved on the pellet.

also have a pellet pizza oven that takes forever to come to temp that the propane conversion is a must

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
the bark looks so much better (tasted) on my vertical smoker than what i had achieved on the pellet.

also have a pellet pizza oven that takes forever to come to temp that the propane conversion is a must
Guess it's just the nature of the smoke produced by pellets vs wood? I've got a couple bags of pellets I picked up on clearance and will toss them into one of those little wood chip boxes sometimes, or maybe on top of my coals, but I'm always using chunks of wood, too.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Guess it's just the nature of the smoke produced by pellets vs wood? I've got a couple bags of pellets I picked up on clearance and will toss them into one of those little wood chip boxes sometimes, or maybe on top of my coals, but I'm always using chunks of wood, too.
i guess, i was using the 40lb pitmaster brand from hd like some ppl

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i guess, i was using the 40lb pitmaster brand from hd like some ppl
Don't remember the brand I have. Think I got it from academy. Maybe B&B. It's been alright for throwing a little smoke flavor on whatever I'm making, especially if it's something more delicate like fish.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Meathead has a lot of good articles on different kinds of smokers and reviews for tons of them if you're interested. He's pretty scientific about it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think that's just the design of you go with a "grill type" vs a vertical though. Pellet grills can smoke but most of them don't do as good a job at pure smoking due to the burn amount. For me though it's more than enough so I've retired the electric I had that used wood chips.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
as an aside, i liked that the vertical smoker is like 100x easier to clean. w/ pellet/offset smokers all the grease and junk is on the bottom, and slides down a tray into a bucket and it's just messy. even if you tin foil everything, it's still messy.

the veritical smoker i have w/ what seems like a 2gallon water tray also catches the drippings and regulates temp

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
0110241936_HDR.jpg

We had eaten at a yakiniku (grilled meat) place in spain, they bought out a cute round grill, i amazoned and told my friends that theres one for 15 bucks, its probably a bad box. (Usually its 100$), they didnt want to buy it, so i said ok, i already have one for skewers, but if you dont want first dibs i will buy it cuz its so cheap, and look its nice.

Grilling la galbi that i marinated for 8hours cuz for some reason my costco makes korean cuts.

*edit, oh the black box i have pointed at it is a blower fan, works great.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 508593

We had eaten at a yakiniku (grilled meat) place in spain, they bought out a cute round grill, i amazoned and told my friends that theres one for 15 bucks, its probably a bad box. (Usually its 100$), they didnt want to buy it, so i said ok, i already have one for skewers, but if you dont want first dibs i will buy it cuz its so cheap, and look its nice.

Grilling la galbi that i marinated for 8hours cuz for some reason my costco makes korean cuts.

*edit, oh the black box i have pointed at it is a blower fan, works great.
We get a lot of Korean cuts out here, other food stuff too.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Lanx Lanx , apologies if you've posted it before.

I want to try char siu. Recipes online are so incredibly different from each other - they often share only like 1/3 of the ingredients, its like they're each making their own different dish and just using the same name.

I know you've posted about this before, whats your favorite char siu recipe?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx , apologies if you've posted it before.

I want to try char siu. Recipes online are so incredibly different from each other - they often share only like 1/3 of the ingredients, its like they're each making their own different dish and just using the same name.

I know you've posted about this before, whats your favorite char siu recipe?
tenderizing is one of the most important things, of course you can "get away" with just using a fork, i have as well, but for 8bucks a hefty tool is cool
b49b2532120d53f074e98b03f5190d23.png

Meat Tenderizer with 21 Stainless Steel Piercing Spikes Wood Handle Stainless Steel Needle for Tenderizing Chicken Beef Steak Veal Pork
i don't recommend those silly ones w/ the spring guard, cuz meat gets trapped in between and just gets nasty, these needles aren't spikey enough to basic instinct you either so you can just put it in the drawer, but if you want more safety just cut out like 1in of packaging styrafoam

of course my favorite char siu recipe would be my dads, but i cry like a bitch when i think about it so i just use madewithlaus ingredients (you can substitute maltose for honey and that'd be my dads recipe but maltose is difficult to handle but coats better and gives a better char)

i also omit using red wine, b/c i don't drink red wine and it's really just for food coloring (if you care about it being red red, sure) and i don't find that bean curd adds to anything

Main Ingredients
  • 3 lb
    pork shoulder
Char Siu Sauce Ingredients
  • 1.5 tbsp
    garlic salt
  • 6 tbsp
    brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp
    oyster sauce
  • 3 tbsp
    light soy sauce
  • 1.5 tbsp
    hoisin sauce
  • 3 tbsp
    red wine
  • 1.5 tbsp
    Shaoxing wine
  • 1.5 cube
    red fermented bean curd
  • 1.5 tsp
    five spice powder
Basting Ingredients
  • 3 tbsp
    honey
  • 3 tsp
    water
  • 0.38 tsp
    red food coloring

this video is legit so you could just follow it

i would use the oven broiler, but i get why they don't b/c it's fucking messy as hell cuz of all the sugars/honeys sauce just fucking jumps around and makes a mess, but it also gives a good char too, so...

probably the most difficult ingredient to aquire would be shaoxing cooking wine if you don't have an asian grocer, it's cheap on amazon
Qian Hu Chinese Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine (Red) (750ml)

and is used in a lot of chinese dishes, actually in most "asian" recipes where you see "sherry" or some other kind of wine, they really want you to use shaoxing but know most ppl won't get it, so they just say get white ppl sherry shit and your asian food tastes wierd

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Tried a recipe for this during NYE and it came out incredible. I've made it two more times since then and it's quite budget friendly for the servings you get. Highly recommend and serve with some kind of bread.

Going to be great for the cold front hitting this week.

Attachments

• Zuppa_Toscana.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
We regularly do Zuppa Toscana style soup (sometimes copycat sometimes altered). It's a good soup. That recipe is a little weird, though. I always marvel at recipes that end up more difficult and take longer for the "convenience" of using an InstaPot.

We often do fresh spinach instead of kale, preferring the taste and texture more. Never used a purple/red onion, usually use a sweet/yellow, which I feel balances the flavors. It works well to finish with coconut milk if there are nondairy needs. Broth and seasoning seem enough, but people love all the boulion and trendy starters these days.

My girlfriend does it all in one pot except bacon in toaster oven. I do it by having a skillet to brown sausage, and bacon, and onion, putting them into the broth in batches as the potatoes cook. Then saute kale or spinach last in the leftover bacon/sausage grease.

I like to do high temps to actually brown meats that a stock pot or InstaPot just doesn't do well enough in my experience. I mean, browning meat in an InstaPot in olive oil doesn't compute in my brain.

Great, easy soup. One of our favorites along with posole and chicken tortellini instead of noodle.

• 2Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
We regularly do Zuppa Toscana style soup (sometimes copycat sometimes altered). It's a good soup. That recipe is a little weird, though. I always marvel at recipes that end up more difficult and take longer for the "convenience" of using an InstaPot.

We often do fresh spinach instead of kale, preferring the taste and texture more. Never used a purple/red onion, usually use a sweet/yellow, which I feel balances the flavors. It works well to finish with coconut milk if there are nondairy needs. Broth and seasoning seem enough, but people love all the boulion and trendy starters these days.

My girlfriend does it all in one pot except bacon in toaster oven. I do it by having a skillet to brown sausage, and bacon, and onion, putting them into the broth in batches as the potatoes cook. Then saute kale or spinach last in the leftover bacon/sausage grease.

I like to do high temps to actually brown meats that a stock pot or InstaPot just doesn't do well enough in my experience. I mean, browning meat in an InstaPot in olive oil doesn't compute in my brain.

Great, easy soup. One of our favorites along with posole and chicken tortellini instead of noodle.

I understand what you're saying, I've never sautéed anything in an InstaPot before. I just liked the one pot simplicity with less dishes.

I like some of the ideas you posted, it gave me more direction for adjusting. I'm going to make it really spicy and won't use as much bacon this time.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I understand what you're saying, I've never sautéed anything in an InstaPot before. I just liked the one pot simplicity with less dishes.

I like some of the ideas you posted, it gave me more direction for adjusting. I'm going to make it really spicy and won't use as much bacon this time.

We've forgotten the bacon more than once and it's still good, and tend to do less than many recipes would say to do. And done too spicy and it's really good that way. One time the spicy Italian sausage was labeled wrong and was just breakfast sausage and it really wasn't very good, though.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

I’ve sautéed diced onion and ground beef in an instapot for chili, it was fine. Took a little more attention to make sure everything was even.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah it works okay aside from being in kind of a deep pan that way.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Tried a recipe for this during NYE and it came out incredible. I've made it two more times since then and it's quite budget friendly for the servings you get. Highly recommend and serve with some kind of bread.

Going to be great for the cold front hitting this week.
We made a variation of this last year. Had a big chunk of homemade porchetta in the freezer that I needed to find a use for, so used that for the pork fat with some spicy Italian sausage. Also added few different types of white beans which I like in soups to accompany the potatoes. Think we even tossed in a fennel bulb and leeks we had floating around.

Soup or stews like that are great for cleaning out your produce/pantry and it's really hard to go wrong with whatever you have to hand if it's a logical replacement ingredient.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I had an epic rice fail last night. As I was getting it ready wife told me we were having guests for dinner so without really thinking I used the same size pot which was probably way too small to begin with and then loaded the double portion of rice/water into it. I ended up with rice gruel. Fuck rice for being such a pain in the ass.