Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Here are the library friends donations I've snagged in the last year or so. More than I thought.... Almost feel like I've taken enough I should feel guilty. Including two "I Love Cinnamon Rolls" books because apparently I forgot I'd already snagged one. Not sure if I'm a klepto or horder...

View attachment 510486
i reference simply korean more than maangchi

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Risotto is definitely more time consuming. Have to toast, constantly stir, laddle your hot liquid, etc. I think I usually follow Kenjis method and it's never steered me wrong. It's worth the effort and I'll typically make wild mushroom risotto when I do duck or pheasant, but it's a special meal side. It can't sit long and has to be served fresh, so timing timing with the rest of the meal can make it a pain.

You can reheat it with more cream and wine, but it's never as good the next day. I have done box risotto before from the Italian area in my grocery store and it's pretty decent. Typically will get a couple of boxes when it's on sale to keep around for easy meals. It's much more forgiving, but doesn't compare to homemade. You can still jazz it up with wine, stock, cream, cheese, or appropriate stuff for whatever flavor it is. I don't remember the brand, but there's a couple out there that are tasty.
my easy risotto recipe

1. goto amazon
8e303bed548061cc99dd8d7cdc4378d3.png

StirMATE Automatic Pot Stirrer GEN 3- Variable Speed, Self-Adjusting, Powerful, Quiet, Cordless
2. eat

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man imagine if that was some sort of auto ladling of stock into a pot or some kind of dripper

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
man imagine if that was some sort of auto ladling of stock into a pot or some kind of dripper
You should invent one and then maybe gadget freaks will buy it on Amazon. Think about it, who better to build a kitchen gadget empire!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I just had Ramen to celebrate with my wife and kids. This Ramen was just fucking delicious. The restaurant is owned by Japanese immigrants. I don't think they speak English. It's a hole in the wall, and nearly everyone in there was southeast Asian of some sort. Wow, was it good.

This is inspiring me to make it better myself. I do make it, but it is never this good. Can you folks tell me what the secret is? Do you guys have recipes where you eat it and say, "That's some gourmet shit mother fucker." I want to wow my family with wicked good Ramen. That was the best meal I've had in a long time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I just had Ramen to celebrate with my wife and kids. This Ramen was just fucking delicious. The restaurant is owned by Japanese immigrants. I don't think they speak English. It's a hole in the wall, and nearly everyone in there was southeast Asian of some sort. Wow, was it good.

This is inspiring me to make it better myself. I do make it, but it is never this good. Can you folks tell me what the secret is? Do you guys have recipes where you eat it and say, "That's some gourmet shit mother fucker." I want to wow my family with wicked good Ramen. That was the best meal I've had in a long time.
That's how you know a small 'ethinic' restaurant is good or not; the fewer white people/less english the better.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

do you want to make ramen, or really make ramen
ac288e582c967778824ea3e590141223.png

noodles
this week i highlighted my philips pasta maker, and heres a recipe for ramen noodles w/ kansui

Ramen Noodles Recipe using the Philips Pasta Maker​

Yield ~300g Fresh Noodles, 2-3 Servings

Dry Ingredients:​

10g wheat gluten
240g all purpose flour
3g salt

Wet Ingredients:​

1 egg + top up with water to 85g
10g kansui
i mean look at the recipe, wheat gluten and ap flour, thats basically fucking bread flour, but b/c you can never be too sure on how much gluten is really in bread flour, best to just measure it out yourself.

broth
then choose which type or ramen you want, shio/soy/miso/tonkotsu, me personally i favor tonkotsu, but it is so involved (like pho) i will defer to miso, b/c it's just easier (it's still involved, but compared to the others not really, i mean most shio recipes have you making dashi, and thats just the base of the broth, you still have to add to it)

tare
then choose your tare, most think of this as the oil part, but no it's "flavoring part" imo reduced teriyaki sauce, you'll find everyone saying soy/sake/mirin and reduce it, which is fucking teriyaki sauce which now spills over to

toppings
ramen egg and chashu, now of course i grew up w/ real cantonese char siu (where the inferior chashu comes from) so i'm not gonna put that bullshit in, i'll make real char siu, ramen eggs i've detailed my years long journey when i found it difficult getting the right timing/temp and just peeling shit, but after a few hundred eggs, it's no biggie

oil
do you have to make dark garlic seseme oil? can you just get away with sichuan chili oil instead?

i believe we have 1 or 2 ramen nuts on here, i think TJT TJT ??? or the other tbt faggot, those guys with the weird names... did you guys know that theres a fucking T TJR here?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
do you want to make ramen, or really make ramen
ac288e582c967778824ea3e590141223.png

noodles
this week i highlighted my philips pasta maker, and heres a recipe for ramen noodles w/ kansui

i mean look at the recipe, wheat gluten and ap flour, thats basically fucking bread flour, but b/c you can never be too sure on how much gluten is really in bread flour, best to just measure it out yourself.

broth
then choose which type or ramen you want, shio/soy/miso/tonkotsu, me personally i favor tonkotsu, but it is so involved (like pho) i will defer to miso, b/c it's just easier (it's still involved, but compared to the others not really, i mean most shio recipes have you making dashi, and thats just the base of the broth, you still have to add to it)

tare
then choose your tare, most think of this as the oil part, but no it's "flavoring part" imo reduced teriyaki sauce, you'll find everyone saying soy/sake/mirin and reduce it, which is fucking teriyaki sauce which now spills over to

toppings
ramen egg and chashu, now of course i grew up w/ real cantonese char siu (where the inferior chashu comes from) so i'm not gonna put that bullshit in, i'll make real char siu, ramen eggs i've detailed my years long journey when i found it difficult getting the right timing/temp and just peeling shit, but after a few hundred eggs, it's no biggie

oil
do you have to make dark garlic seseme oil? can you just get away with sichuan chili oil instead?

i believe we have 1 or 2 ramen nuts on here, i think TJT TJT ??? or the other tbt faggot, those guys with the weird names... did you guys know that theres a fucking T TJR here?

Thanks man. That gives me a lot to go on.

And the answer is I really want to make Ramen. Give me a minute to look at what I've got.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think long and hard before you go down this road. Its fraught with strange oils and ingredients, many a trip to an "asian grocer" , and littered with Amazon gadgets

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Think long and hard before you go down this road. Its fraught with strange oils and ingredients, many a trip to an "asian grocer" , and littered with Amazon gadgets
surely you don't need a machine that is just dedicated to making pasta, but it works well, seems like they've upgraded it (i haven't checked out the new models)
Philips 7000 Series Pasta Maker, ProExtrude Technology 150W, 8 discs, Perfect Mixing Technology, Preapre up to 8 Portions, NutriU App, White, (HR2660/03)

heres a cute asian girl doing a review on it

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks man. That gives me a lot to go on.

And the answer is I really want to make Ramen. Give me a minute to look at what I've got.
i'm pretty sure this is one of the ramen books i referenced, i don't have any real books (hard copy) cuz they sucked, but this youtuber made a book, pretty informative

but that is also imo one of the issues you will have to face if you go in depth w/ this, is the ppl that have a ramen recipe and the ppl that lord over "real ramen"

the aussie asian chef has a good series, i forget his name i'll come back w/ it later

edit

Last edited:
  • 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My girlfriend has come a long way in the kitchen.

When we met she was buying canned mushrooms, turkey bacon, and was confused/impressed when we were at a store and she said we should get taco seasoning and I looked at the packet and told her I had all those spices already.

Now, the other night she was doing dinner on her own and made stuffed mushrooms with chunks of leftover meatloaf and stovetop stuffing. Made her and her own meatloaf sauce, too. They were really good and a Frankenstein creation I hadn't even though to do.

• 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Too salty. Not good bread. Pieces too small. Too much artificial flavor.

Other than that it's awesome.
I'll cut it with some other old french bread or whatever is on hand if we make it. Usually add green onion, mushrooms, celery, parsley too. I never cared for it as a kid, but for some reason it's grown on me. Probably MSG at work. We maybe make it twice a year. Tried the pepperidge Farms one, and it's ok, but the stovetop just has a certain flavor. I can see why people like it though.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Stuffing is one of those things that nobody will ever be able to convince me is worth the extra effort to make myself. Stove Top is fine by me.

• 3Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Too salty. Not good bread. Pieces too small. Too much artificial flavor.

Other than that it's awesome.

Agree to disagree. I find stovetop stuffing so premium and well balanced it's the primary ingredient in my homemade from scratch holidays stuffing recipe.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users