Gravy's Cooking Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sure but the FDA a bunch of industry lobby groups are to blame for creating the definition of 'not preserved and uncured' which allows it to include preserved and cured meat.
FTFY. And substitute cured/preserved for any other official defined term.

Ok, enough saltiness from me tonight.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ask yourself. Who would want to ruin bacon?

Shark Tank Mark GIF by ABC Network
I'm guessing nobody in this thread could tell the difference between bacon and smoked pork belly unless we have some kind of autistic tongue savant.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well, I can tell you that my curiosity about that bacon has been cured thanks to this thread

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sure but the FDA is to blame for creating the definition of 'not preserved and uncured' which allows it to include preserved and cured meat.

No, the USDA would be to blame. Ohhh snap, just did a pedantic dunk on Gavin

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No, the USDA would be to blame. Ohhh snap, just did a pedantic dunk on Gavin
Holy fucking shit I'm actually so angry at getting pedantidunked because I looked at a pdf of a letter from the USDA yesterday where they addressed this back in 2020 and I still typed FDA instead.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
along w/ this, yesterday i tried to buy some firebricks
804eae5dafd213c17a47bedfa407dee1.png

i wanted to insulate my firebox (i also bought a cone vornado thing for the pit), you know, just to play around, whatever

anyway my first interaction i asked the guy at the grill section (my thinking is it's either in the grill area, the garden area or the concrete area), so he google speaks "fire bricks" and says there thats it.

i'm like, thats fire logs, not bricks

he's like you sure? i'm like yea, i know what a fire log is

so he tries again "fire bricks"

and he says, nope, none found, i take out my phone and of course i can't get reception cuz it's in the warehouse.

then i look over his device and i said

thats "fire break"

i want "fire bricks"

so he says it again and it comes up "fire break"

i said type it out dude,

he said "i don't know how to type well"

so i just took it and deleted "eak" and put in "ick"

he said, wow it's here but theres no asile number, i said yea thats why i asked you, he has no idea where it is

so i went to the 3 sections and didn't see fire bricks anywhere and i just made an order, and as you see it's delayed, probably b/c they can't find it

i'm not crazy btw, i know how to order shit
0c2e93d1a511ff0b7f32fd7def689596.png

i call them up and they said, oh youre the "fire brick" guy, i'm like yup, he said yea these don't exist here, he's like we don't have em here.

"you don't have 6 out of 439? "

"we don't have any, it was an error"

so i said "439 bricks just disappeared?" and he said thats what we've been spending the whole day finding out.
yea so lowes is cancelling my order, or i can pay 79$ to ship em...

i just ordered from good ol hd instead, they'll deliver em for free by thursday (obviously i wanted them this weekend, but whatever)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I know that trick, but the package specifically says "Not preserved. No nitrates or nitrites." They tell you directly on the package it is not preserved and, thus, not bacon. I'll take them at their faggot word that they aren't selling actual bacon for a price that only a retard would pay.

I don't know how it's legally defined, but I don't know why they would be using celery powder if not to cure it. Here's what USDA says on their webpage.

Bacon can be manufactured without the use of nitrite, but must be labeled "Uncured Bacon, No Nitrates or Nitrites added" and bear the statement "Not Preserved, Keep Refrigerated Below 40 °F At All Times" — unless the final product has been dried according to USDA regulations, or if the product contains an amount of salt sufficient to achieve an internal brine concentration of 10% or more, the label does not have to carry the handle statement of "Not Preserved, Keep Refrigerated below ___" etc. Recent research studies have shown for products labeled as uncured, certain ingredients added during formulation can naturally produce small amounts of nitrates in bacon and, therefore, have to be labeled with the explanatory statement "no nitrates or nitrites added except for those naturally occurring in ingredients such as celery juice powder, parsley, cherry powder, beet powder, spinach, sea salt etc."

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I don't know how it's legally defined, but I don't know why they would be using celery powder if not to cure it. Here's what USDA says on their webpage.
That is my gripe. They are curing and preserving the meat with the nitrites in celery powder, but saying it is neither of those things to cater to the idiots who think that preserving meats with nitrates and nitrites makes them carcinogenic. I can either take their packaging at its word and deduce they are not actually making bacon, or I can look at the ingredients and see that their packaging is awash in deceit. Either way, this company fucking sucks before you even take into account that there is no way their bacon is worth $20/lb

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Video showing both curing methods.

This was actually a well made and interesting video. Just straight up "heres how it works" with no BS.

It could have been 10 minutes instead of 60 with proper editing but still better than most cooking videos these days.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
This was actually a well made and interesting video. Just straight up "heres how it works" with no BS.

It could have been 10 minutes instead of 60 with proper editing but still better than most cooking videos these days.
Yeah, those guys have some pretty great videos on breaking down the carcass of different animals. Like you said, no BS.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Video showing both curing methods.

Based on this the alternative curing method shouldn't add that much to the cost. From what I can tell googling the celery powder probably adds a couple of bucks to the price of curing a belly which works out to around 20 cents a pound and everything else is exactly the same.

• 2Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Based on this the alternative curing method shouldn't add that much to the cost. From what I can tell googling the celery powder probably adds a couple of bucks to the price of curing a belly which works out to around 20 cents a pound and everything else is exactly the same.
No Way Wow GIF by CBC
200.gif

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was kidding about the facial hair thing, those dudes are the ones that got me interested in learning to do some of my own cuts. Being on a lifting restriction for damn near half a fucking year has kinda thrown a wrench in the gears but I'm still hoping to buy and process my own hog side this year.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I was kidding about the facial hair thing, those dudes are the ones that got me interested in learning to do some of my own cuts. Being on a lifting restriction for damn near half a fucking year has kinda thrown a wrench in the gears but I'm still hoping to buy and process my own hog side this year.
I know I've learned a lot watching their videos. As much as the information age sucks sometimes it is pretty amazing when this type of stuff is available, and you can learn from people that have devoted their lives to a trade, and it doesn't cost you anything.