Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
something is up w/ walmart eggs

idk how many hundreds of ramen eggs i've done, it's a lot. i stopped by walmart b/c it was across the st from kohls and i needed bleach and eggs, why not
0524241240_HDR.jpg

i haven't made em in a month or 2, so i could "be out of practice?", there are 2 left over (so they've had a day of marination) and then today i go and buy some kroger eggs and just finished, guess which are which

Sudo

Blackwing Lair Raider
something is up w/ walmart eggs

idk how many hundreds of ramen eggs i've done, it's a lot. i stopped by walmart b/c it was across the st from kohls and i needed bleach and eggs, why notView attachment 530097

i haven't made em in a month or 2, so i could "be out of practice?", there are 2 left over (so they've had a day of marination) and then today i go and buy some kroger eggs and just finished, guess which are which
Hand in your asian card

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Aight, I need help boys and I know it's not 100% cooking related but I figure this is the best place to get a good answer.

I'm by no means a bartender and rarely make mixed drinks but I was craving some Pina Coladas this weekend due to the heat and humidity. However, with the recipe I follow they taste like absolute shit and I very much want a damn Pina Colada. So, help me, what did I do wrong.

Here is the recipe I am using.

Ingredients
  • 2 ounces white rum
  • 2 ounces coconut cream
  • 2 ounces pineapple juice
  • pineapple slice and cherry for garnish

First can of coconut cream I got was curdled so I went back and bought the squeeze bottle kind. The pineapple juice has no sugar added (I assume this is my problem) but I thought it would be sweet enough. It tastes bitter and just flat out not good. I even tried adding some splenda to it since I assumed it was a sweet issue, it is not. I even tried using some coconut syrup I have and it just became worse. Any help is appreciated.

Siliconemelons

Steak Oscar this weekend. Should be fun and tasty to make.

My homemade vanilla is 3 months old so i am excited to try it. Started another bottle of it earlier this month. Thinking of getting little bottles for a Christmas mini gift for my fam.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
First can of coconut cream I got was curdled so I went back and bought the squeeze bottle kind. The pineapple juice has no sugar added (I assume this is my problem) but I thought it would be sweet enough.
I assume you mean Coco Real for the squeeze bottle but what kind of pineapple juice are you talking about? I've never even heard of adding sugar to pineapple juice, fruit juice already is nothing but sugar. When's the last time you had coconut/pineapple/pina coladas? You may have just lost the taste for it because the drink is not exactly rocket surgery, you just pop the three ingredients you listed into a blender either with or without ice.

Could maybe try adding some simple syrup for sweetness instead of splenda or coconut syrup.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Aight, I need help boys and I know it's not 100% cooking related but I figure this is the best place to get a good answer.

I'm by no means a bartender and rarely make mixed drinks but I was craving some Pina Coladas this weekend due to the heat and humidity. However, with the recipe I follow they taste like absolute shit and I very much want a damn Pina Colada. So, help me, what did I do wrong.

Here is the recipe I am using.

Ingredients
  • 2 ounces white rum
  • 2 ounces coconut cream
  • 2 ounces pineapple juice
  • pineapple slice and cherry for garnish

First can of coconut cream I got was curdled so I went back and bought the squeeze bottle kind. The pineapple juice has no sugar added (I assume this is my problem) but I thought it would be sweet enough. It tastes bitter and just flat out not good. I even tried adding some splenda to it since I assumed it was a sweet issue, it is not. I even tried using some coconut syrup I have and it just became worse. Any help is appreciated.
We make frozen pina coladas all the time during the summer. The wife usually makes them. I just know she does something different and I went and asked her. Apparently this is the stuff she uses:

Coconut milk
Frozen bag of pineapple, or tropical blend of fruit
Ice
Rum

We tried some of them mixes and the cream of coconut or whatever and it just has way too much sugar. Just the Frozen fruit and the coconut milk seems to be the ticket. It's plenty sweet from the fruit but it really allows those ingredients to shine.

If you use the coconut cream you have to watch because it'll give you a waxing mouthfeel because I guess there's so much fat or oil in it, that's why coconut milk just seems to be much better. Also the tropical blend fruit that has maybe pieces of mango and stuff really helps to jazz it up some. They can be ultra refreshing and not overly sweet, which is perfect if you're outside doing yard work or grilling.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
We make frozen pina coladas all the time during the summer. The wife usually makes them. I just know she does something different and I went and asked her. Apparently this is the stuff she uses:

Coconut milk
Frozen bag of pineapple, or tropical blend of fruit
Ice
Rum

We tried some of them mixes and the cream of coconut or whatever and it just has way too much sugar. Just the Frozen fruit and the coconut milk seems to be the ticket. It's plenty sweet from the fruit but it really allows those ingredients to shine.

If you use the coconut cream you have to watch because it'll give you a waxing mouthfeel because I guess there's so much fat or oil in it, that's why coconut milk just seems to be much better. Also the tropical blend fruit that has maybe pieces of mango and stuff really helps to jazz it up some. They can be ultra refreshing and not overly sweet, which is perfect if you're outside doing yard work or grilling.

Are you using white rum or coconut rum?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Are you using white rum or coconut rum?
We've done both, and I think even gold rum. Just depends on what you're in the mood for. I think the best combination is probably a splash of coconut along with a splash of regular silver rum. The coconut stuff can be a little too sweet, so cut it with a normal one.

There's also things like fruit liqueurs better nice to add. There's a banana one that I don't remember the name of but you typically use it for bananas Foster, and it's nice to splash some of that in there. You can also put in a splash of orange liqueur triple Sec or Grand Marnier. A little bit of citrus helps to balance everything. We also use a lot of citrus though a copious amount of lime juice. Just really kind of rounds it out. I guess at the end of the day it's not a pina colada traditionally, but more of just this tropical delicious drink that is morphed into its own thing and we just use whatever the hell we have on hand.

We also make them so thick it could probably be a meal, and I think that's because she puts so much frozen fruit in there, so it's like an adult smoothie.

Anyways give it a shot and let us know how it turned out. Now I want daiquiris and I actually looked in the freezer and I've got a bag of the tropical mix, and I think we've got some rum, I just don't know if we have coconut milk. Got to send my wife out to the grocery store later, so this might be in the cards.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Hey Soygen Soygen here's a little food hack for ya:

It might be pretty good on top of a potato au gratin. Especially if you added some other cheeses more flavorful cheeses. You better even use it to layer between the different sheets of potatoes. You get a lot of your liquid needed to keep the potatoes moist and tender.

I might have to try this theoretical experiment of cottage cheese potatoes. If I do so you know I will surely report back.

• 1Quality Calories

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I think I posted these guys before but for a British restaurant and the food that they make they've been putting out amazing no BS content. Recipes are simple as long as you know what the hell you're doing and they're pretty much what I would want to use or make with whatever dish.

Just good stuff..

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think I posted these guys before but for a British restaurant and the food that they make they've been putting out amazing no BS content. Recipes are simple as long as you know what the hell you're doing and they're pretty much what I would want to use or make with whatever dish.

Just good stuff..

using metal utensils on teflon pan

then

using direct flame on teflon pan

jesus christ

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
using metal utensils on teflon pan

then

using direct flame on teflon pan

jesus christ
Dude their recipes are pretty amazing. I don't know but I'm hard-pressed to say the vast majority of the recipes or deals that they share aren't really well done and basically the same type of stuff that I cook on a regular.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Pulled one of the porchettas I made the other week. Managed to rig up my kettle rotisserie on the gas grill, that way I don't have to fool with charcoal, and I'm not necessarily looking for a smokier flavor. I guess this is the new recipe that I'm trying that's much simpler, so hopefully it turns out good. I guess I now realize that I can probably fit a chicken or a couple of cornish game hens on the rotisserie over the gas. Really kind of opens up a lot of other options for me. Hell I think I could probably put a chuck roast on and treat it like Sunday roast and pull it when it's medium rare.
IMG_20240527_182519658_HDR~2.jpg

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Rotisserie chuck roast to medium rare sounds... not very good. I gotta say.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Rotisserie chuck roast to medium rare sounds... not very good. I gotta say.
I've thrown one on the grill before, and tried to treat it like prime rib, and as long as you're cutting it up against the grain appropriately and can see the grains and the muscle run, for it being such a cheap cut it surprisingly good. Just have to kind of reverse sear and roast it for a while.

You can take butchers twine and tie it up to make it more of a cylinder. One of those round roast might be better, but I like the fat connective tissue on a chuck.

That is figure if you throw it on the rotisserie it's constantly self-basting and you can drizzle something good over top of it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The fat, and connective tissue need time to render and break down. Grilling a chuck roast to medium rare and then slicing it like prime rib is... well it's really unappetizing