Gravy's Cooking Thread

Butter as a base for a sauce is popular in areas where people die from heart disease at age 23.

redface.png
basis of all french cooking.

best spicy wings I ever had was from a place that only did spicy chicken, was a cornflake batter with korean chilli flake, deep fried. your butthole hated you the next day, but so worth it.

Silence_sl

shitlord
basis of all french cooking.

best spicy wings I ever had was from a place that only did spicy chicken, was a cornflake batter with korean chilli flake, deep fried. your butthole hated you the next day, but so worth it.
There's a difference between butter as an ingredient and butter as pretty much the only ingredient. I tried a butter sauce once and couldn't get through the first breast. Some people just looooooooove it, and I don't know how they can eat that stuff. Same with cooking with lard. There are lots of people out there that eat 2-3 meals a day that are prepped in lard. How they make it into their 20's is beyond me.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Are you saying that searing keeps steaks juicier vs not searing?
No, searing doesn't "seal in juices", you sear to create a crust, and to caramelize the fat on the outside.

This is why cooking it partially in the oven causes it to be more juicy. Instead of applying direct, penetrating heat to both sides of the steak at a time, which actually LOSES juices, you apply a bit of direct heat to get it delicious and crusty, then you create a dry, surrounding heat to finish it to the desired temperature. Well, you get it CLOSE to the desired temperature and carry over heat while resting takes it the rest of the way.

Edit: I'm so-so with butter sauce; I make a delicious lemon butter sauce that is really good, but it is only finished off with butter, not made with it.

I am not a huge fan of buerre blanc, which is shit tons of butter, shallots and then white wine. Too much butter. ; ; I am somewhat ashamed to admit it but I am not a huge butter fan. Most of the time I sub in margarine because I much prefer the taste, but some things DO simply taste better with butter. Not much though, ick.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
What temp for oven? I don't eat steak all that frequently, but may give this a go sometime.
It still needs to be immensely high heat for a good quality steak; time spent cooking is relative to tenderness of steak, when it comes to specific cuts. (Your tenderloins, ribeyes, etc.) Obviously worse cuts are going to require more prep, and then subsequently because you want them to cook slow, in marinades or liquid, you set the dial at a lower temp.

Here is my post for ribeyes a few pages back:

The way I cook ribeyes is to put a cast iron pan in the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees. (With the pan inside.)

Steaks should be chilling out on the counter for at least 30 minutes to come to room temperature.

Once the oven has preheated, carefully take the pan out and place on the range at a very high heat. Slather the steaks with some olive oil (Or canola, whatevs), add kosher salt, black pepper, and any other seasonings you prefer. (Though I keep it simple with just S & P)

My ribeyes the other night were about an inch thick, maybe slightly under. I placed them both in the screaming hot pan on one side for about 30-40 seconds, did not move them. Flipped them over for another 30-40 seconds, immediately placed into oven.

Cooked them for about 2 minutes on each side then took them out and covered them with foil and let them rest for a few minutes.

As they rested I put a little butter into the pan, swirled it around to scrape up the drippings, then when I uncovered the steaks I put a little butter onto them and served.

Ribeyes were a beautiful medium rare, and delicious.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I used to deep fry my wings but now I use the Alton Brown method. You steam the wings for 10 minutes, then stick them in the fridge until they are completely cool. Then you can bake them at 425 for 20 minutes on each side. The steaming gets some of the fat out of them so the skin will get crispy without frying. If you do it right the skin will be blistered and crispy as can be. Takes a bit longer than deep frying but it doesn't make a mess on your stove and you can do a couple cookie sheets worth of them at a time instead of doing just a few at a time in oil.

And yes wing sauce is butter + hot sauce. I like Frank's Red Hot over Tabasco myself but to each his own.

Silence - What's the purpose of 8 minutes in the oven at 250? I can't imagine that that will do anything to wings that have already been deep fried. I could see having the oven at 250 to keep them warm if you are frying several batches but I can't quite picture them doing any significant cooking in that situation. Also, why "season with anything but salt"? Almost every spice mixture you can buy includes salt and when you talk about seasoning, salt is usually what you're talking about primarily.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I often put fried shit on a wired rack in a 200-250 oven to sit. I saw AB do it and I wondered why, it seems to keep the stuff warm and work some of that grease out.

212 water boils, any time I park stuff in the oven pre-heat to 175 load it and turn it off. I dont wanna dry things out. Biggest thing with frying is oil temp, 360-365 is optimal, it causes the escaping water to push against the oil so it doesn't absorb into the food. loading too much in at once while frying makes the temp drop and causes greasy food as well.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Silence - What's the purpose of 8 minutes in the oven at 250? I can't imagine that that will do anything to wings that have already been deep fried. I could see having the oven at 250 to keep them warm if you are frying several batches but I can't quite picture them doing any significant cooking in that situation. Also, why "season with anything but salt"? Almost every spice mixture you can buy includes salt and when you talk about seasoning, salt is usually what you're talking about primarily.
Wings cool off enough in the short time it takes to coat them...I put them in the oven to warm them back up without cooking them, or to keep a batch warm while working on another.

I'd do the Alton Brown method of cooking wings, but I never eat them, and people like my wings enough as it is, so they get the quick lazy method.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I used to deep fry my wings but now I use the Alton Brown method. You steam the wings for 10 minutes, then stick them in the fridge until they are completely cool. Then you can bake them at 425 for 20 minutes on each side. The steaming gets some of the fat out of them so the skin will get crispy without frying. If you do it right the skin will be blistered and crispy as can be. Takes a bit longer than deep frying but it doesn't make a mess on your stove and you can do a couple cookie sheets worth of them at a time instead of doing just a few at a time in oil.

And yes wing sauce is butter + hot sauce. I like Frank's Red Hot over Tabasco myself but to each his own.

That sounds delicious; I cannot stand greasy, slimy wings. If they're not crisp I won't get them again. =(

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
212 water boils, any time I park stuff in the oven pre-heat to 175 load it and turn it off. I dont wanna dry things out. Biggest thing with frying is oil temp, 360-365 is optimal, it causes the escaping water to push against the oil so it doesn't absorb into the food. loading too much in at once while frying makes the temp drop and causes greasy food as well.
Nah it doesn't dry it out. It probably would if you left it there for a cn hour but it is usually only a few minutes.

I don't often fry shit, because I'm doing it old school in a pan. If I had a dutch oven I think I would do it more, less mess and easier to get a good amount of oil in there.

Frying is just a ton of work and clean up, worth it if you are throwing a big shindig, but serving your family dinner I go baked, you can get results almost as good.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Frying is just a ton of work and clean up, worth it if you are throwing a big shindig, but serving your family dinner I go baked, you can get results almost as good.
I did a bunch of wings for this last Superbowl gathering in two cheap stainless stock pots that I grabbed from Wally World for $4 each. Tall enough to cook a decently sized batch without spatter. Splatter? Is Dexter a cook? Easy clean up, too. I'll never fry anything else in anything else again.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, fuck frying. Oil splatters everywhere, you gotta do something with the left over oil...etc. I agree with Merkins4Brazil, bake and profit. Now, pan frying is open game. I make tons of pan fried shit, especially chicken strips for the kids.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Frying sucks. The smell sticks to your clothes and the air in your pad is akin to a KFC.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
classic hot wing sauce is just butter and Tabasco, nothing to it. They usually bake the wings till done and give em a quick saute in sauce.
A friend once told me "tabasco is great, if you want your food to taste like shit and still not be spicy" and I'm inclined to agree. That said, I use equal parts butter and franks for my sauce and maybe some pepper and it turns out pretty sweet. I've used the allrecipes/food.com (don't remember which) hooters wings recipe plenty of times with great success. If you like them breaded, leaving them in the breading overnight seems to really help.

Alton has a video about steaming your wings but I haven't tried it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, fuck frying. Oil splatters everywhere, you gotta do something with the left over oil...etc. I agree with Merkins4Brazil, bake and profit. Now, pan frying is open game. I make tons of pan fried shit, especially chicken strips for the kids.
Reuse the oil? I cook 4-5 batches of french fries with the same oil and they all taste just as delicious.