Gravy's Cooking Thread

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Nor have they had one as of today.
tongue.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't make scrambled eggs often, I honestly prefer a bowl of cereal. But the wife is on a low carb diet(gestational diabetes) so she's having eggs more often. I'm honestly getting sick of fried eggs, so I might ask for scrambled next time. If you get big chunky curds...doing it wrong?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nor have they had one as of today.
tongue.png

haha, true true. Nor have they had homemade pizza!

I don't make scrambled eggs often, I honestly prefer a bowl of cereal. But the wife is on a low carb diet(gestational diabetes) so she's having eggs more often. I'm honestly getting sick of fried eggs, so I might ask for scrambled next time. If you get big chunky curds...doing it wrong?
I prefer oatmeal and grits these days, but scrambled eggs are great. The only problem is I just can't eat them without toast, I just don't get it. And I'm trying to eat less toast and shit, so meh.

I do it with a medium heated pan, melt some butter and swish it around. I whisk my eggs before hand, scandal I know, and I dump them in. They should be done in about 1 minute if the pan was hot enough. I get pretty large chunks when I do it, but fluffy and light and moist. Good shit.

My wife likes dry eggs, it is abhorrent and I should divorce her for it. This is how she makes eggs: whisk eggs, put in hot pan, move around until it is dark yellow/brown. That's it, no seasoning, no butter, no nothing. She thinks my (more) properly cooked eggs are "gross." The things I put up with...

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Try an omelet in the oven. It's pretty easy - fry up your extra ingredients in a pan, add your eggs, bake, serve. Can make quite a nice, fluffy texture.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
keesh? seriously?

I do agree about scrambled eggs and some form of bread. I like to put them on a biscuit with sausage or bacon, ghetto breakfast sandwich.

I would like to try Gordon Ramsay's method for scrambled eggs(it's pretty much the same as lurkeydirkey's), but I'm half expecting I'll fuck it up or it'll be nasty. I suspect I'm used to overcooked scrambled eggs, hence why I was asking about curd size.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My wife likes dry eggs, it is abhorrent and I should divorce her for it. This is how she makes eggs: whisk eggs, put in hot pan, move around until it is dark yellow/brown. That's it, no seasoning, no butter, no nothing. She thinks my (more) properly cooked eggs are "gross." The things I put up with...
That deserves a paddling.

That's called a keesh.
keesh? seriously?

I do agree about scrambled eggs and some form of bread. I like to put them on a biscuit with sausage or bacon, ghetto breakfast sandwich.

I would like to try Gordon Ramsay's method for scrambled eggs(it's pretty much the same as lurkeydirkey's), but I'm half expecting I'll fuck it up or it'll be nasty. I suspect I'm used to overcooked scrambled eggs, hence why I was asking about curd size.
Keesh my ass?
biggrin.png

Keep the heat pretty low, expect to be stirring for quite a while, use your eyes, and you'll get the texture you want in the eggs. Once they are about done, add the cream, it prevents them from over cooking by lowering temperature and changing the texture. I did get my method from Ramsay. I know he seems like quite a douche, but I have a mad man crush on him. Every single one of his recipes or techniques I have used have been spot on. He's incredibly good at what he does.

As far as the quiche comment - a baked omelet isn't a quiche. A quiche has a crust, and the texture is generally denser.

Betros_sl

shitlord
I guess I was used to overcooked scrambled eggs as well. I tried my brother's a few months ago and they were heavenly.

He (and now I) start with a heated pan. It's important to put all of the salt and pepper you will use in at the beginning (before you even scramble them) and not after they are cooked. Don't whisk them too hard, obviously. Have an ounce or two of sharp cheddar already shredded and stir the eggs constantly until just before they look cooked. Takes a little practice to know exactly when, but if they are cooked correctly in the pan they will be over cooked on the plate.

As you put them onto your plate, put the shredded cheese on at the exact same time. Then put about a tablespoon of diced scallions on top.

I usually use four eggs and toast. I'm fucking hungry in the morning.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I guess I was used to overcooked scrambled eggs as well. I tried my brother's a few months ago and they were heavenly.

He (and now I) start with a heated pan. It's important to put all of the salt and pepper you will use in at the beginning (before you even scramble them) and not after they are cooked. Don't whisk them too hard, obviously. Have an ounce or two of sharp cheddar already shredded and stir the eggs constantly until just before they look cooked. Takes a little practice to know exactly when, but if they are cooked correctly in the pan they will be over cooked on the plate.

As you put them onto your plate, put the shredded cheese on at the exact same time. Then put about a tablespoon of diced scallions on top.

I usually use four eggs and toast. I'm fucking hungry in the morning.
Interesting. I find using salt and pepper before they are cooked screws up the flavour and texture of my eggs.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Salt is the big culprit, you have to take it easy. His suggestion isn't bad, but I'd use about half of the total amount before cooking it, and using the rest after it comes off the pan. Pepper shouldn't have an effect either way (texture wise), but you should just use Tapatio instead!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
An oven omelette is called a frittata.

IMO the best egg preparation is poached. If you use AB's method they come out perfect every time. 2 poached eggs on top of a sausage patty on top of a slice of wheat toast is one hell of a good breakfast. If you have people over that you want to impress, put some hollandaise on it.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
An oven omelette is called a frittata.
Not really. A frittata is different from an omelette as all of the extra ingredients put into the egg (mixed in) instead of in between, and can be cooked in a skillet over a flame as well as in the oven.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, a frittata is for people who suck at making an omelet.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Not really. A frittata is different from an omelette as all of the extra ingredients put into the egg (mixed in) instead of in between, and can be cooked in a skillet over a flame as well as in the oven.
That's what is going to happen if you put it in the oven though.

Try an omelet in the oven. It's pretty easy - fry up your extra ingredients in a pan, add your eggs, bake, serve. Can make quite a nice, fluffy texture.
= Frittata

spronk

FPS noob
i went through a big omelette phase a few weeks ago, watched tons of youtube videos from ramsay, alton brown, oliver, etc. While I prefer one with bacon, spinach, and some hot sauce my kids love the french one demonstrated below, which comes out pretty goddamn amazing to look at and will amaze friends with your culinary skillz. Also look at some of the japanese omelette videos, they are pretty amazing too.

this was also a weird way to scramble eggs in their shell, not really sure what the point is and it seems way too much effort but... interesting?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am thinking I might make chicken kiev tomorrow. I have some chicken breasts I need to cook and when I was looking for recipe ideas that was one of the first ones and I have never had it.

If you like Indian food, i suggest you make your own Chicken Tikka Masala.

Masala sauce is incredibly easy to make - throw some onion, garlic & jalapeno in a saute pan with butter or a little oil to brown them. add tomato paste, can of chunky tomatoes & heavy cream - season with Garam Masala, cumin, red pepper then refrigerate.

Chicken tikka is basically chicken dunked in yogurt then broiled.

Cube the chicken, mix in your sauce, boil some basmati rice & heat your naan.