Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey guys, make sure you get to Seattle for some killer BBQ

Just make sure you don't go to Texas

This list is so bad, Trip Advisor themselves had to personally disavow it

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 5 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey guys, make sure you get to Seattle for some killer BBQ

Just make sure you don't go to Texas

This list is so bad, Trip Advisor themselves had to personally disavow it

The bbq in Plano does in fact suck. The averages in Texas make sense because people who know what good bbq is are shitting on the mediocre places.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cork Screw and Pecan Lodge for good BBQ. Snow's if you feel like driving to the middle of nowhere.

**spelling

• 1Solidarity

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The bbq in Plano does in fact suck. The averages in Texas make sense because people who know what good bbq is are shitting on the mediocre places.
I mean, Hutchins is in the Plano vacinity and it certainly doesn't suck.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Gonna try my hand at some indian tomorrow. Chicken 65, Chicken briani, and Chicken Makhani (butter chicken)

Went out today and got all the stuff, cost about $60 but its enough spices for a year if not more. Got all the chicken marinating

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Cork Screw and Pecan Lodge for good BBQ. Snow's if you feel like driving to the middle of nowhere.

**spelling
Cork Screw in old town Spring is great. Truth BBQ in Brenham is good, too. I thought that Truth was building a location somewhere in Houston, as well.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So didn't make briani today but made butter chix and chix 65.
20210516_195323.jpg20210516_195339.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Crendor experiences 3 star Michelin restaurant. Listen the whole thing, it's pretty incredible

starts around 9:10 mark if timestamp doesn't work

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've never been Alinea but we did go to their other restaurant, Next, for the opening menu 10 years ago (concept rotates every 4 months or something). It was a recreation of Auguste Escoffier recipes from when he was the head chef of the Ritz Carlton in Paris in 1906 or 1908 or something. The food was really, really good. The wine was really, really good. I think it was $400 for both my wife and I which covered 8 or 9 courses, 6 or 7 wine pairings (full glasses, not just like a taste, and they left the bottle on the table before the next pairing came), and then some mandatory 20% gratuity and service charge. I never went again because the place became a cult of people on facebook and instagram begging for "tickets" and sucking up to them and I wasn't about that... but they did revolutionize the idea of online tickets instead of reservations, where you prepay for your meal. Then they sold that business a couple months ago for $400 million.

Maybe it's the price but I've never had a desire to go to Alinea. I don't think there is any way I'd feel satisfied after spending $1,000 on a meal.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Reverse seared tri-tip and a venison ham (uncured).

IMG_20210530_200745999~2.jpg
IMG_20210530_201837737_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210530_202107705_HDR~2.jpg

Dry brined the tri-tip with a rub, and marinated the venison with a bit of buttermilk, Greek yogurt, and a can of Chipotles in adobo. Booked it out, and stuffed with a little bit of cilantro and a green onion. Then applied the same rub.

I tried cooking that particular cut of venison in the past and wasn't ever successful unless it was pounding it out for chicken fried steak. This turned out like a beef tenderloin. Was very happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_200745999~2.jpg
    IMG_20210530_200745999~2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 4Like
  • 2Quality Calories
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Live north of New Orleans and lived there 8 years. The Joint and Blue Oak are solid, but we’re really not bbq experts and don’t think we claim to be. Kind of odd

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Smoked a pork shoulder and some beef ribs today. First time I've done the ribs, and I was very happy with the result. Did a batch of quick pickles and radishes to help with the richness of the meat, but those turned out way too salty. My ratios were off and I can't remember the last recipe I used that was more successful.

If anybody has one that they follow, I'd appreciate if you shared it

IMG_20210606_142551044_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210606_202433506_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210606_202326562_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210606_203322367_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210606_202749521_HDR~2.jpg

• 3Quality Calories
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
we're gonna be in temporary housing for a while till we can take the house in tn, my wife knows nothing about cooking, but she said i have to take the instapot (we're driving there) cuz thats how i make korean/japanese daishi

i mean obviously i can use a regular stock pot, but instapot is so much easier.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Smoked a pork shoulder and some beef ribs today. First time I've done the ribs, and I was very happy with the result. Did a batch of quick pickles and radishes to help with the richness of the meat, but those turned out way too salty. My ratios were off and I can't remember the last recipe I used that was more successful.

If anybody has one that they follow, I'd appreciate if you shared it

View attachment 357125
View attachment 357126
View attachment 357127
View attachment 357128
View attachment 357129

I make pickles a lot, and I want to say the base I use is

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup of white vinegar
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt/pickling salt
1/2 to 1 tsp of white sugar
1 tsp peppercorns
1/2 tsp mustard seed
2 gloves garlic, smashed
3-ish Kirby Cucumbers

heat it to dissolve the salt and sugar, pour over the cucumbers/vegetables, let it come to room temp uncovered, put in the fridge for 8-24 hours, eat.

and then play with it from there (i usually add celery and coriander seed as well to basic garlic pickles). Sometimes I put in Dill and red pepper flake. I almost always toss in one Jalapeno sliced into coins. Recently I made some carrots this way with gochugaru pepper and honey instead of white sugar. You can probably up the salt safely to 1 to 1/5 tablespoons if youre using Kosher. The last batch i made I diced half a shallot and added oregano and a tablespoon of the gochugaru pepper and used rice wine vinegar, turned out pretty well.

The base is really the water, vinegar, salt and sweetener. You can choose your own adventure with the vinegar, depending on the vegetable or other spices you are adding. I put mustard seed in pretty much everything as it imparts roughly 0 mustard flavor, but keeps things crispy and a little bit of the heat you would find in a good ground mustard. I think most recipes keep the salt and sugar relatively balanced as a baseline, but I always like it more of a 60/40 in favor of the salt rather than a 1:1 (although I found I reverse my ratio when pickling onions/radishes/other things that are pretty strong on their own and want more sugar)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I make pickles a lot, and I want to say the base I use is

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup of white vinegar
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt/pickling salt
1/2 to 1 tsp of white sugar
1 tsp peppercorns
1/2 tsp mustard seed
2 gloves garlic, smashed
3-ish Kirby Cucumbers

heat it to dissolve the salt and sugar, pour over the cucumbers/vegetables, let it come to room temp uncovered, put in the fridge for 8-24 hours, eat.

and then play with it from there (i usually add celery and coriander seed as well to basic garlic pickles). Sometimes I put in Dill and red pepper flake. I almost always toss in one Jalapeno sliced into coins. Recently I made some carrots this way with gochugaru pepper and honey instead of white sugar. You can probably up the salt safely to 1 to 1/5 tablespoons if youre using Kosher. The last batch i made I diced half a shallot and added oregano and a tablespoon of the gochugaru pepper and used rice wine vinegar, turned out pretty well.

The base is really the water, vinegar, salt and sweetener. You can choose your own adventure with the vinegar, depending on the vegetable or other spices you are adding. I put mustard seed in pretty much everything as it imparts roughly 0 mustard flavor, but keeps things crispy and a little bit of the heat you would find in a good ground mustard. I think most recipes keep the salt and sugar relatively balanced as a baseline, but I always like it more of a 60/40 in favor of the salt rather than a 1:1 (although I found I reverse my ratio when pickling onions/radishes/other things that are pretty strong on their own and want more sugar)
Thank you, sir. I'll give my next batch a shot with this one. I think the last time I used apple cider vinegar, but this time we used Heinz tarragon vinegar. It's probably my favorite vinegar for just all purpose use for vinaigrettes and what have you. It's a malt vinegar so it's not near as acidic as other types. They stopped selling it at our grocery store and I ended up ordering four gallons off of Amazon for 30 bucks.

Idea was to have a lot of pickling in our future, and it's something I've just been trying to get into to use up older vegetables and stuff in the fridge.

I figure the more we do it we'll finally get it dialed in, but this helps give me a good baseline to use.

Thanks again for the recipe.

• 1Like