Gravy's Cooking Thread

Tea_sl

shitlord
You can just use it in place of sour cream and it's baller because it has so much more depth and flavor than sour cream. The other big thing is that it doesn't fall apart over heat, so it functions more as a replacement for cream except with more flavor.

The Master

Bronze Squire
'Nother vote for Victorinox knives. If you aren't going to spend $150-200+ for a knife, buy a Victorinox. There is nothing that competes in that price range of the $20 they cost. Also get a honing steel.

All Whole Foods have Creme Fraiche. Most larger normal grocery stores do, as well.

Re: Pots/Pans. I have some All-Clad pieces and they are nice, but I also have Modernist Cuisine. Turns out, the incredibly expensive pans? Not worth it. They cooked a bunch of things under thermal imaging cameras and the single greatest factor was burner size relative to pan size. That's it. The cheap-ass completely stainless steel pan heated up and cooled down at a rate not dramatically different from the $300 All-Clad Copper Core line. If you have small burners the best solution they came up with was to go to a metal shop and ask them to cut you an inch thick 1' by 1' block of aluminum, put it on your burner, put cheap ass pan on top. Also shiny pans cook more efficiently, dark pans end up radiating a lot of waste heat into the room.

I understand Viking and a couple of other manufactures are taking this data to heart and actually making variable burner size stoves, where you can adjust the size of the burners based on your pan.

Silence_sl

shitlord
'Nother vote for Victorinox knives. If you aren't going to spend $150-200+ for a knife, buy a Victorinox. There is nothing that competes in that price range of the $20 they cost. Also get a honing steel.

All Whole Foods have Creme Fraiche. Most larger normal grocery stores do, as well.

Re: Pots/Pans. I have some All-Clad pieces and they are nice, but I also have Modernist Cuisine. Turns out, the incredibly expensive pans? Not worth it. They cooked a bunch of things under thermal imaging cameras and the single greatest factor was burner size relative to pan size. That's it. The cheap-ass completely stainless steel pan heated up and cooled down at a rate not dramatically different from the $300 All-Clad Copper Core line. If you have small burners the best solution they came up with was to go to a metal shop and ask them to cut you an inch thick 1' by 1' block of aluminum, put it on your burner, put cheap ass pan on top. Also shiny pans cook more efficiently, dark pans end up radiating a lot of waste heat into the room.

I understand Viking and a couple of other manufactures are taking this data to heart and actually making variable burner size stoves, where you can adjust the size of the burners based on your pan.
I've got a stack of some pretty nice knives, but for some reason, the price on them has gone up 3x-5x. While still really awesome, it's hard for me to recommend on price/performance alone. That goes to Victorinox; still sharp enough to get the job done, but at killer prices...and easily better than anything in their price range, and lots better than Popular Housefrau Brands.

Pots/pans. I use a cheap Italian brand that I got at Costco. Cheap, able. Used expensive stuff...no better. As for the metal shop thing, you can get cheap cook's pans that have the same thing (giant slug of metal on the bottom)...can get them from restaurant supply stores. When I need thermal inertia, though, I still use cast iron. The non CI stuff are handy, though...and cheap. Keep in mind that I don't need a lot of thermal stability in my cookware, but if you do, then big slabs of metal under SS is needed to keep the temp from dropping out of cooking range when you drop a big slab of meat or whatever on there.

Viking appliances...complete shit. Had them. Always broken, breaking or back-orderd parts. I tried to sell them after 5 years, and no one was interested. They got recycled (put into a metal grinder). That doesn't mean what they are saying isn't right, though. My GE gas has 1 really small burner, 1 less really small burner, and two burners that could slow cook a fucking Brontosaurus. My old Jenn-Air gas would vary the flame size based upon knob setting...totally independent upon burner size. At least now, all my wooden spoons look well used...as in burned to a crisp between the spoon part and the handle.

The Master

Bronze Squire
That isn't true. That is the point. People thought that was true. Then they went and actually tested it for the first time ever. Turns out? Not true. The only real factor is burner size. I'm not talking about the flame, I am talking about the size of the circle of the burner relative to the pan. And it is relative to pan size, a small burner on a large pan is just as bad as a large burner on a small pan.

And you're not getting an inch of aluminum on a pan.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bellweather farms is a brand of creme fraiche that is very common in socal markets. You may find the cream in the dairy section with regular heavy cream (where it should be) or mistakenly placed in the cheese spread section. I think people who stock the shelves confuse it with a spread since it comes in a small tub and has a weird name.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
For any of you who aren't pussies about sodium, throwing a bag of frozen chicken breasts into a slow cooker and covering it with a bottle of buffalo sauce for 6-7 hours, pulling it apart with a fork, and letting the rest of the sauce soak up into the chicken is fucking delicious.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Trying some of this stuff this morning. I feel kind of bad because I went back and put brown sugar in it after heating it up.

2012-06-28-07.22.37-640x480.jpg

Worst thing though is how much...chewing...this shit takes. After 2 cups of this (1 cup dry) my jaw is literally starting to hurt like I've been chewing gum for 8 hours straight. I might have to hit the gym and work on my temporialis and masseter muscles because clearly my jaw doesn't even lift.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm starting to think ahead to Thanksgiving. I'm not going to do anything too crazy. I think turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and something new. I just have to figure out what that will be, but I'm looking through websites trying to get ideas.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Your something new is to not cook green bean casserole. Disgusting shit that should offend your cooking sensibilities. Might as well make hamburger helper.

I like cranberry relish. Actual relish. Not that shit in a can, that's jelly. Not that cooked shit that ruins the cranberry's best trait(texture). 1 bag of cranberries in a food processor until a little past coarsely chopped, sugar to taste, and an orange. Been trying to think of ways to improve it, specifically how to deal with all the moisture the sugar will pull out. Maybe add another fruit with pectin.

Oh, I noticed no stuffing on your list. WTF?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm starting to think ahead to Thanksgiving. I'm not going to do anything too crazy. I think turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and something new. I just have to figure out what that will be, but I'm looking through websites trying to get ideas.
Think ahead? Shit's in like 4 days bro!

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
As much as I like green beans, it doesn't seem like a cool festive dish, and if overcooked they're all mushy/gross. Definitely need some more veggies in there, though. Brussel sprouts are all the rage right now (and a personal favorite - halved and grilled), or maybe just a cobb salad if you've got a lot of peeps.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Really really easy to overcook green beans. That's only way green bean casserole works, you overlook the mushy beans because they are surrounded by yummy fried onions and cream of mushroom soup(if you like that shit).

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No green bean casserole on Thanksgiving? F that Thanksgiving, I want no part of it.

I'm scratching my head at the no stuffing on your list as well.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just pop open a can of fried onions, that's the part you want anyway.

Well cooked green beans are really good too. Lightly steamed with some salt and pepper. Akin to asparagus preparation, and both are easy to fuck up.