Gravy's Cooking Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I assume all the old blahblah about oily shop rags, critical mass, self igniting also applies to 3 gallons of corndog frying oil soaked into a month of sonday newspapers in a trashcan?
Soybean oil has a flashpoint of over 400 degrees, so unless you have your trashcan near something that generates that much heat, you should be fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ninja SP351 Foodi Smart 13-in-1 Dual Heat Air Fry Countertop Oven, Dehydrate, Reheat, Smart Thermometer, 1800-watts, Silver Amazon.com

Instant Vortex Plus 6-Quart Air Fryer Oven, Quiet Cooking, From the Makers of Instant Pot with ClearCook Cooking Window, Digital Touchscreen, App with over 100 Recipes, Single Basket, Black Amazon.com

Ended up with these 2 because my wife got me the ninja for next Xmas and I just ordered the instant.

She's bitter and keeping it as birthday for herself, I still think the instant is the better straight air fryer instead of doing 20 things. though if we keep both hers maybe can replace our giant French door toaster oven I hate and won't even hit max baking temp.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Oh, and how do I properly dispose of used oil?

Strain it and save it in the fridge in mason jars? Unless you're just never ever going to fry anything again.

And generally frying is far trickier than people think, so well done on the attempt. Have done corn dogs a few times and they've never been perfect. Always breaking open or batter starts sliding off. I'm convinced any stick frying needs to be done vertically.

Last time I tried cha gio the rice paper exploded and stuck to another one and both tire open. Had to strain the entire pot of oil and start fresh.

The joys of frying! Can get very frustrating and with a dangerously hot pot of oil.

How I wished mine looked:

1690249906356.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I still think the instant is the better straight air fryer instead of doing 20 things.

This is often the case. Never had a toaster oven that did everything well like the all coaim. Current convection air fryer oven sucks at air fry and sucks at making toast. It's fine for baking though, at least.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've made tons of corn dogs using Alton Brown's recipe. I deep fry them in a wok so the sticks can rest on the outer edge of the wok and the dogs stay in the grease.

If you're making them for kids consider leaving out the jalapeno and the cayenne pepper. I like to cut the hot dogs in half to maximize the crispy batter and make it more of a snack experience but YMMV.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ninja SP351 Foodi Smart 13-in-1 Dual Heat Air Fry Countertop Oven, Dehydrate, Reheat, Smart Thermometer, 1800-watts, Silver Amazon.com

Instant Vortex Plus 6-Quart Air Fryer Oven, Quiet Cooking, From the Makers of Instant Pot with ClearCook Cooking Window, Digital Touchscreen, App with over 100 Recipes, Single Basket, Black Amazon.com

Ended up with these 2 because my wife got me the ninja for next Xmas and I just ordered the instant.

She's bitter and keeping it as birthday for herself, I still think the instant is the better straight air fryer instead of doing 20 things. though if we keep both hers maybe can replace our giant French door toaster oven I hate and won't even hit max baking temp.
the surface area the ninja provides is amazing

Sludig

And apparently she also got me the ninja electric wood grill thingy which now shows unavailable. Not sure if that's a turd. Can't search it on amazon but found the link on google. There's a 701 still listed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Multiple reviews dogged it for uneven crisping w/ photo's of it happening though.
thats probably b/c the elements are made out of dog shit lulz, i have a cracked element, i noticed it does not get as crispy in that area

trust me, whatever you do, do not even look at the elements on the bottom, they will break w/ shame

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Strain it and save it in the fridge in mason jars? Unless you're just never ever going to fry anything again.

I mostly just fry sweet potato fries, and the ocassional shrimp/fish or Nashville chicken. Whenever I'm gonna pan fry something, I scoop some oil out of my fryer oil retention jar. It's usually nice and seasoned and adds a nice flavor to whatever I'm pan frying. Replace it wish some fresh oil, and the cycle continues. I strain my oil each use, and dump it once a year. I guess I'd also replace it if something smelled off, but that's never happened.

I'm definitely not afraid of seasoned oil. I do stuff like make my own chili oil, and tbh, the longer it sits the better it tastes. Chili oil that's only aged a month in the fridge can still be kinda cringe with the oil flavor taking charge. My stuff that I've been sitting the last year and the chili and oils have aged together, magnifique.

• 2Like

Sludig

Any good air fry guides or stand out things to try? Particularly like anything u can do with beef and steaks? The manual didn't so much as give me suggestions for French fry rice and temp.

No idea when I want to and cover in oil vs just through everything as is.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Air fryers lend themselves much better to baking applications than pan frying. Your general mode of thought should be "I could bake this in an oven, or bake it faster in an air fryer".

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Air fryers lend themselves much better to baking applications than pan frying. Your general mode of thought should be "I could bake this in an oven, or bake it faster in an air fryer".
I make all of my lunches at work, and the air fryer definitely helped. Between that and the flat top I can make basically anything.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Any good air fry guides or stand out things to try? Particularly like anything u can do with beef and steaks? The manual didn't so much as give me suggestions for French fry rice and temp.

No idea when I want to and cover in oil vs just through everything as is.
i use my airfryer for panko crusted cutlets, zoodles and to get that crispy (nutty) taste in veggies like cauliflower/asparagus/brusselssprouts

straight up steaks?

we have the same air fryer, so are you thinking of using the heavy pan to move it up a few racks, to broil the steaks?

i can tell you that heavy pan is garbage for frozen pizza

Sludig

i use my airfryer for panko crusted cutlets, zoodles and to get that crispy (nutty) taste in veggies like cauliflower/asparagus/brusselssprouts

straight up steaks?

we have the same air fryer, so are you thinking of using the heavy pan to move it up a few racks, to broil the steaks?

i can tell you that heavy pan is garbage for frozen pizza
ninja or the instant. so far I've used the instant and hasn't tried the ninja yet. Instant just had a thin sheet if we rewind the thread I'm a terrible cook so I don't know what I want to do with it other than I have 250lbs of beef coming.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ninja or the instant. so far I've used the instant and hasn't tried the ninja yet. Instant just had a thin sheet if we rewind the thread I'm a terrible cook so I don't know what I want to do with it other than I have 250lbs of beef coming.
the ninja, guess i've used it more than you so far

i still don't understand why you have two air fryers...

the ninja also has a probe, so i guess you can try to broil a steak

Sludig

the ninja, guess i've used it more than you so far

i still don't understand why you have two air fryers...
My wife is a child. In this case she buying it for my Xmas, she's told me I ruined Xmas to dare ordering one on my own because I'm not psychic. She then got angrier that I felt mine was a better choice and cheaper so she decided she'd keep it as a self birthday gift.

didn't fight her on it more since maybe we can replace the toaster I hate with it for most things

• 1Worf