Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you're not getting through an entire bottle a week, you're not hardcore enough, man. Don't let it sit for long periods of time, that's the secret. A nice mug of sriracha each morning will get you through the day.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For those that want/need a Kitchenaid mixer, here's about as good of a deal as you'll ever find:
5-Qt KitchenAid Professional 5 Plus Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer (metallic chrome) $190 + Free Shipping - eBay Deals, Coupons and Promos

$189 new. Ebay Daily deal, today only.

Same thing is $400 at retail stores and Amazon
Amazon.com: KitchenAid KV25GOXMC Professional 5 Plus 5-Quart Stand Mixer, Metallic Chrome: Kitchen Dining
Oh shiz, what a deal! Just asked the wife if we knew anyone that could benefit from that because that looks awesome. We already have a professional one in black, otherwise I would buy it for ourselves.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I started making grilled cheese like this a few months ago

holy fucking christ, it's incredible. Who doesn't love fried cheese?

The main key is to make sure your shredded cheese isn't ice-cold out of the fridge, or it won't start to melt on the outside of the hot bread, and it makes flipping a bitch.

I've thrown some shredded cheese straight from the fridge into the microwave for like 20 seconds. It's still shredded, but a lot softer, and it sticks to the bread and makes flipping a cinch.
So I made one of these for a snack tonight, and used shredded parmesan for the outside. Delicious. Highly Recommend.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm fairly certain that every time I eat one it takes a year off of my life, with the amount of cheese, butter, and calories in one of those things. It's worth it though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
they're practically giving away london broil at .99/lb. bought a few lbs worth, pepper/salted/1/2 tsp butter/herb vacuum sealed and put in freeze for future sous vide.

African

Golden Knight of the Realm
PSA: Next Restaurant (Grant Achatz of Alinea in Chicago) is releasing PDFs of their rotating menu cook books for free here:https://store.nextrestaurant.com/#/

Only Paris 1906 and Thai menu are available and those menus were 3 years ago so they are moving slow as fuck. The Paris menu is where I had the sous vide chicken that I mentioned before and it was the best chicken I ever had. They actually have a picture of the dish on the website.

CrMP750.jpg
We've got season tickets to Next. Alinea is amazing too.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Motherfuck. I would have bought one, but it's done.
Fuck, that's a shame. I've been wanting one too, and at that price I would've jumped on it.

Doing a pork shoulder today. Will have pictures when it's done. I threw together my own rub cause I was too lazy for a recipe, but it was:

Brown Sugar
Granulated Sugar
Pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Cinnamon
Paprika
Cayenne
Kosher Salt

Doing it with cherry wood which will be my first ever cherry smoke. Went light on the heat (only cayenne) in the hopes that the cherry and sugar will impart a nice sweet flavor.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sugar to offset tart flavors. Except I've never seen anything in any rubs that I'd describe as tart. But brown sugar shouldn't really burn at smoking temperatures. To be honest, I just used it cause every other fucking rub does.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Well, any moisture in the rub mixture, including the sugar crystals, will start to evaporate at 212F - ish. Helps liquefy the sugars or some shit. All I know is that it makes BARK on the meat, and I want some right now.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Technically it's not caramelization but the Maillard reaction, which are completely different but taste pretty much the same.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Turned out pretty well. My only complaint would be that apparently cherry doesn't impart much of a smoke flavor. I noticed I was adding a shit ton more wood than normal too (burns off fast?). Next time I will probably do an hour of hickory or something in addition to the cherry. Or maybe 30-45 min of mesquite.

rrr_img_67571.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My herb garden got decimated with the very severe winter we had. However, I replanted today. Here's what I'm growing:

Basil
Mint (several varieties - spearmint, chocolate mint, orange mint)
thyme
dill
anise
oregano
chives
parsley
coriander
fennel
sage
rosemary
majoram

Anything I'm forgetting? What do you guys grow?