Gravy's Cooking Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I feel like one of the biggest areas that most cooks can improve is salting/seasoning food properly during the cooking process. My mom cooks in a way in which she doesn't salt ANYTHING, she thinks "salt is bad for you" and "people can add their own salt and pepper". Well, that doesn't work near as well after the fact, food needs seasoning while it's being prepared to bring the proper flavors out.

On the flip side, my dad salts the holy hell out of everything, and most normal people can barely eat the food he makes because its like taking a bite out of a salt lick.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think just using a knife in general is a basic, but not well known skill. My wife never learned, and it takes her forever to take apart veg or meat or whatever. My kids are learning, but I think basic knife skills, and which knife to use when are a basic starting place.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wanted a huge 20+ cubic foot one, but I couldn't pass up the 7.5 cubic foot one that Costco had for $200? maybe $249. It was a great deal. I'm glad I got the smaller one, because we don't have too much to freeze. Never went in on a whole cow or nothing. Brand name I hadn't heard of before, but it has worked really well for the last 2 years.
$200 is doable. I will have to check it out. Costco is so good with returns that I could probably use it for 3 years then just return it for a full refund.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think just using a knife in general is a basic, but not well known skill. My wife never learned, and it takes her forever to take apart veg or meat or whatever. My kids are learning, but I think basic knife skills, and which knife to use when are a basic starting place.
I still don't know the "proper" way to chop/dice an onion.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I have had the ~$250 Costco chest freezer for about 4 years and it has worked perfectly. My parents have 2 of them, and one has been going something like 7+ years with no problem.

Having a decent knife and knowing how to use it is probably the most important basic. Watching someone take 5 minutes to chop up a bell pepper makes me understand why they hate cooking and think they don't have time to cook during the week.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I wish I had somewhere to put a chest freezer! I can't wait to get out of my townhouse and get a garage!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
$200 is doable. I will have to check it out. Costco is so good with returns that I could probably use it for 3 years then just return it for a full refund.
I've seen the same model as low as $175-$180 I believe. Just gotta check. I don't know if it's something they always have in the stores or not. I'm pretty sure this is the model...

Costco - Haier 7.1 CuFt Chest Freezer customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

I think I have an old model. Mine has no controls on the front bottom corner. But same company. Never heard of Haier before seeing it at Costco.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the gordon ramsey onion video, PLEASE skip the part where you make horizontal cuts (two) into the onion, it's not needed. (30s) i think this is where most ppl cut themselves when they make that cut...

most chefs call it the suicide cut, cuz you're just asking for a cut finger, cuz you're trying to make 2 horizontal cuts on an already broken down onion, it's just gonna break on you, worse if you do not have a sharp knife, b/c you'll struggle more and might end up hurting yourself.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Meh, I do it. If I were in a restaurant situation with time pressure, I probably wouldn't. But, at home, where I can take my time, sure.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I slice onions and most vegetables like the first example here:
Knife Skills: The 4 Knife Cuts Every Cook Should Know | Serious Eats

With the tip of the blade in constant contact with the cutting board, pull the knife backwards slightly until the blade slices into the food.
Continue by pressing downwards and forwards, using the full length of the blade to slice through your food.
Repeat, using a circular motion and keeping the blade tip against the board at all times.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
but your onion is already broken down that way by the nature of the concentric rings, it's adding 2 dangerous cuts that aren't needed.

The Master

Bronze Squire
That is an old fashioned way of doing onions anyway. Radial cuts then slice is the standard technique taught today, but Gordon isn't likely to change when he has been doing it that way for... what? 40 years?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well gordon also thinks the knife steel is used to sharpen, (not hone, difference)or maybe he's just trying to dumb it down for the public.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I slice onions and most vegetables like the first example here:
Knife Skills: The 4 Knife Cuts Every Cook Should Know | Serious Eats
Much better to show than describe. I thought you literally meant the tip of the knife, couldn't imagine cutting much that way.

lanx is right, those horizontal cuts are useless and dangerous. By the time you get to that point, the onion is having trouble staying together. You want a fine dice? Just adjust the distance between your other cuts.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I use our apple corer/slicer to make french fries, just like this(I generally throw away the core/center part, then the rest of the fries are pretty uniform and cook evenly)

apple-cored-fries.JPG