Greedfall -- Colonizers vs Magic Injuns

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Firearms are actually game-breakingly OP if you spec into them, and they're probably the least skill point intensive build of all. Ammo is so easy to craft that it's never an issue.

I've used magic pretty much exclusively and yeah, it's very strong. Getting the thing that lets the magic "melee" attack teleport you around is a complete game-changer.
it's not necessarily the ammo or the skill tree. it's the button placement. the game treats firearms as a skill and not as a weapon. maybe it's different on the keyboard but on a controller it's awkward to use it as anything other than a once every so often kind of thing.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I guess it would get annoying to press dpad down all the time while trying to kite more than one thing like in the arena fights. I ended up not going with rifles after hearing how cheesy it was, though really magic isn't exactly much of a challenge even on hard. Probably should have started on the highest difficulty like ACG and others recommended, but now that I'm halfway through I don't feel like changing it.

I use gamepad even on PC though, the kb/m controls were just awful and I'm too lazy these days to reconfigure when I can just pick up my DS4.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Been following this pretty hard. Will buy on sale one day cuz starting new jobbie and learning the ropes.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I completely get what people were talking about earlier about possibly refunding the game. Something about it seems off. I want to be a nit-pick bitch about the movement, but.. then again, Im not completely turned off on the game. I just.. dont have a whole lot of desire to play it. Something is just "off".

• 1Like

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll second that there is something a little off key about the game. I plan on keeping it though, if mostly because I know a good portion of me not diving into it, is stemming from having a literal pile of other cool games tugging me in every direction. I'm also just not feeling a giant 3rd person world crawler with less than stellar movement, not after I've been playing so many games with smooth polished precision, and it clunked me off. I'll give it another go during some random future 3 day weekend and put a fair 10 to 15 in to see if it will hook me, seems like a game that requires some input before it outputs.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Finished this last night. The ending was VERY bioware, it followed the Mass Effect / Dragon Age formula to a T even including the touching goodbye to your romantic partner before the final battle etc.

The overall setting was very cool and the general theme was interesting, but the game mechanics became stale after level 20 or so by which point I had the 'best' of everything and fully unlocked one entire region of the skill tree and so just rinsed and repeated for the rest of the game. The end has you fighting the big bad alone, but that isn't really a burden because I had been carrying my two companions for the past 20 levels anyway so their absence was a non-issue.

I enjoyed it and for Spiders it was a remarkably solid title, but I wouldn't run out and tell everyone they needed to play it ASAP.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’d give it a solid 8, maybe 7.5 for some rough spots and jankiness. Picked it up at a discount this past week and I think I’m close to the end. Story is compelling with a nice mix of intrigue and foreshadowing. I played melee on Extreme and found the core gameplay to be very enjoyable but some side quests are quite a chore with lots of walking and traveling.

If you’re a fan of the setting and RPGs I’d definitely recommend it.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Its a solid ok from me when I played it. The side NPCs were actually structurally the best part of the story. Biggest issue for me was that once you hit about a third to halfway in, you pretty much have your build done and combat changes very little for the rest of the game. I would not replay this, but I would also be inclined to play another game set in this world or made by this developer. For what it was, it was very solid.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Its a solid ok from me when I played it. The side NPCs were actually structurally the best part of the story. Biggest issue for me was that once you hit about a third to halfway in, you pretty much have your build done and combat changes very little for the rest of the game. I would not replay this, but I would also be inclined to play another game set in this world or made by this developer. For what it was, it was very solid.
I agree that it peaked a little too early. Haven’t put any thought into what’s different about this game from other longer RPGs that kept them from getting stale. Witcher 3 was much longer but combat didn’t become same-y until much later.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Combination of more intricate quests, more established back story and interludes where you played as Ciri probably covered most of it. The pacing of W3 was also much better. This game's story kind of hits a dead spot after the coup attempt sequence.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Combination of more intricate quests, more established back story and interludes where you played as Ciri probably covered most of it. The pacing of W3 was also much better. This game's story kind of hits a dead spot after the coup attempt sequence.
The pacing was definitely waaaay off in parts, but don't want to get spoilery. I just finished it and was satisfied with the ending. Sticking with my 7.5/10 score. I'd highly recommend it if it's on sale, and generally recommend it if you're itching for an old-school BioWare-esque style game.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I wholeheartedly agree with you about the side characters being the best part of the story/structure. The main quest was actually just -ok- and almost pitiful when compared to some of the side quests. There were a couple side quests that were clearly assigned to the B team and/or rushed to be included (looking at you Mr. de Courcillon).

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I got this on sale on PS4 and I’m struggling to keep going free about 8 hours and level 12.

For the most part I enjoy it. It definitely reminds me of old BioWare games in the game structure. Where it falls short for me is in the writing, dialogues are pretty weak, and the the choice structure sometimes doesn’t make sense based on what was previously said.

It’s not a bad game, but not great either. I’m not sure I’ll be able to finish it. Not invested at all in the story or characters. I just like the type of game it is.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I got this on sale on PS4 and I’m struggling to keep going free about 8 hours and level 12.

For the most part I enjoy it. It definitely reminds me of old BioWare games in the game structure. Where it falls short for me is in the writing, dialogues are pretty weak, and the the choice structure sometimes doesn’t make sense based on what was previously said.

It’s not a bad game, but not great either. I’m not sure I’ll be able to finish it. Not invested at all in the story or characters. I just like the type of game it is.
Hate to say it, but it's not gonna get better from that point. The companion quests and side quests were solid, but the main story had some unfortunate pacing problems throughout the early-mid to mid-late game.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finished this last night. It was good for $33 but glad i did not pay full pull at release.

Play on hard. Normal too so easy as a caster. Face rolled everything unless I got super risky due to laziness.

it was a good experience over all but can not help wonder how good this could have been with more depth and details from a larger budget. Knowing it’s an “A” game and not “AAA” helps set reasonable expectations.

fun game on sale during lockdown.

• 1Solidarity

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I played this for an hour, got it for free via PS+... and I really dislike it;
  • The UI controls and layout is kind of a muddled mess
  • The text is too small for my old man eyes
  • Brown, so much fucking brown. Vanguard looks like a rich and nuanced colour pallet in comparison
  • Combat is clunky, they either should have gone turn based like Like A Dragon or smoothed that shit out
  • The Main Characters lips are too fucking red, looks goofy
  • Graphics are a muddy mess, ugly game to look at. I get the kind of thematic aesthetic they are going for but this just looks awful
This feels like the alpha build for a game still being ironed out and polished. It also feels like they took the worst parts of Dark Souls/Bloodborne and crammed them together with the worst parts of Assassin's Creed. It's the combat that bothers me the most though, it's bad. It's bad bad.

edit: it also doesn't help that the sound of my ps4 pro's fan almost starts to have a tinnitus sound to it which does not improve the mood.