Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Twobit Whore said:
BoE is a necessary evil that isn"t all that evil. It"s main purpose is to combat mudflation. Either you make items very rare or you make more items and have a way to take them out of the world. Obviously items will always enter the world a greater rate than they leave, but without BoE or some sort of system to take items out they remain in the world. This makes them lose value and eventually they become worthless. You can stem this temporarily by making them prohibitively rare but then you introduce other unfun elements such as camping, grinding, farming and more.. and in greater amounts than currently seen. In summary: probably should get used to BoP and BoE, because in the longterm it"s better for a healthy economy.
any solution you could think of that isn"t BoE/BoP? i just hate the fact that if i equip something or pick it up i can do nothing else with the item but delete it when i"m done. not that i have a solution to the mudflation/camping issues like you say, but was just wondering if anyone had any unique ideas around those kind of problems.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Ngruk said:
Someone touched on it last page, btw great reads on some of these posts, but duo"ing or boxing. Do you do it? Like it? Hate it? Game play style or cheating?

I will turn away red-faced to admit I was 4 boxing in EQ2, leveled up 4 toons after my main maxed out, to max level.

Thing was, and I didn"t realize it until I tried it in WoW, EQ2 really allowed you to do it rather easily. I am not sure if WoW meant to prohibit it or not, but I tried 2 boxing in WoW and it was a nightmare.

Do a lot of people do it? Is it to level toons or see content you can"t solo?
There were very few people boxing before EQ1 hit Planes of Power. Funnily enough, while on forums like this boxers were anathema back then. the real growth in people boxing started with the high end guilds. Then the endless nights wiping trying to beat various of the Planes produced burnout in the Clerics before anyone else. From then on high end guilds were forced to use boxed / shared / alt Clerics more and more.

The introduction of AA"s, people realised that with a couple of boxed chars you could get AA"s far faster than in a party - plus you didn"t have to hang around for an hour or two LFG (unless you were an Enchanter, who had always had the option of soloing using charmed mobs). The number has grown exponentially since then.

I 6 boxed in EQ1 and 5 box in WoW and EQ2. I also spent / spend time with raids and partying. I was in one of the top guilds for a couple of years, working with the EQ1 devs (as a guild, not personally) on end game content, so its not because I"m anti social.

To answer your question, I got into it originally because I got fed up LFG in EQ1 for hours on end. Now I enjoy it because you can enjoy instances much more doing everything at your own pace and I enjoy exploring, plus its a challenge. If its possible I want to do it and beat it. I still like soloing, partying and raiding too. I"ve never "farmed" and I"ve never sold anything for RL cash. I just enjoy boxing.

Fog said:
Powerlevelling is one thing, but if you can actually do content on your main with two characters at once and be at all effective, there"s something wrong with your game.
I disagree with that. There isn"t a game out I can"t box a full party in. I won"t be as efficient as 6 people playing 6 characters and it might take me time to learn to beat scripted encounters, but it can be done.

As an aside, heresa write up I did on how I approached 5 boxing in WoW. There are a number of options for control method, but I used a broadcasting keyboard (keyboard sends commands to all 5 PCs at the same time, except definied keys like wsad which only "fire" on the main PC) with a mouse that could move freely and quickly between all 5 PCs.

Cowbell_foh

shitlord
Not to digress into another HUGE issue but I think it is necessary to have BoE on most items for the reasons above. Granted I do think that having some "twink" items in game would be great. 2 very good examples of great high level twink items that I would love to see again are a haste item like an FBSS and a mana or health regen item like a Fungi tunic. These items would be rare and sellable with no restrictions, level or otherwise.

Again I dont see why you can"t have mostly BoE and BoP items with some twink items at higher lvls. It just makes the game more fun. I LOVED twinking out my guys in EQ. Just dont overdo it like Eq did.

But this is entirely off subject for this page

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Flight said:
boxing goodies
Exactly the same thing here. I started boxing very early because I was a necro and my best friend a mage. But instread of always doing the standard leveling pattern and all that we liked to explore and try difficult stuff duo. We died alot and getting a rez was sometimes difficult depending on time of day and location of death.

I started boxing a cleric as a rez bot, then as he looted extra crap it became "Why not use him as a heal bot too?". Then it became, "I play him as well if not better than a real cleric. Let"s just take him along for everything".

As people before said. He became involved in heal chains on my raids, full time healer in groups. I could even keep him in seperate groups and heal fine etc. I think the pace and style of EQ had alot to do with what made that possible. Also the fact that both of my character were not to position dependant(ie I didnt need to be behind the mob, or chase the mob as it was pushed around during combat).

I still stand by what I said before. Boxing shouldn"t be flat out denied, but game mechanics should be such that it is just flat out not as good as real people playing the classs due to the speed, level of attention required, syngery factors, whatever...If someone is so leet and skilled they want to box dispite all that, great for them. I do not recommend preventing it except through the action of making your game so involved and fun its not practicle or required.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Flight;945458 said:
There were very few people boxing before EQ1 hit Planes of Power. Funnily enough, while on forums like this boxers were anathema back then. the real growth in people boxing started with the high end guilds. Then the endless nights wiping trying to beat various of the Planes produced burnout in the Clerics before anyone else. From then on high end guilds were forced to use boxed / shared / alt Clerics more and more.

The introduction of AA"s, people realised that with a couple of boxed chars you could get AA"s far faster than in a party - plus you didn"t have to hang around for an hour or two LFG (unless you were an Enchanter, who had always had the option of soloing using charmed mobs). The number has grown exponentially since then.

I 6 boxed in EQ1 and 5 box in WoW and EQ2. I also spent / spend time with raids and partying. I was in one of the top guilds for a couple of years, working with the EQ1 devs (as a guild, not personally) on end game content, so its not because I"m anti social.

To answer your question, I got into it originally because I got fed up LFG in EQ1 for hours on end. Now I enjoy it because you can enjoy instances much more doing everything at your own pace and I enjoy exploring, plus its a challenge. If its possible I want to do it and beat it. I still like soloing, partying and raiding too. I"ve never "farmed" and I"ve never sold anything for RL cash. I just enjoy boxing.

i don"t know about "very few" before PoP. people in my guild and friends of mine were boxing since kunark. in fact, i knew a decent amount of people on my server who boxed almost since the beginning. i agree with you that the introduction of AA"s lead to more boxing because people realized it was faster to get AA"s while boxing, but i think it was something that a lot of people were doing long before planes of power was released.

Requiem_foh

shitlord
etchazz said:
any solution you could think of that isn"t BoE/BoP? i just hate the fact that if i equip something or pick it up i can do nothing else with the item but delete it when i"m done. not that i have a solution to the mudflation/camping issues like you say, but was just wondering if anyone had any unique ideas around those kind of problems.
One thing that comes to mind is to only allow BoE or BoP items to be traded to a character on your account, or another account that has been linked to yours via the website. That linking process could require that the two accounts be on the same credit card. I think the credit card thing would make circumventing the system difficult enough that it would prevent RMT exchanges altogether, and nearly all personal exchanges to people that aren"t you.

Hell, maybe even have a percentage reduction on level restrictions or eliminate them altogether for these other characters. YOU(irl) did earn the item afterall. That"s pretty out there, but we"re brainstorming right? The absolutely ridiculous twinks in EQ1 didn"t ruin the game or have any ill-effect to speak of. The inevitable argument against this is that it trivializes old content, but it"s not like WoW in all of it"s BoE/BoP/super-level-restricted-item glory has managed to prevent their entire base game from being trivialized with TBC, so obviously the answer does not lie therein.

*edit* If there was any sort of PVP rewards system like wow has, these items should probably be disqualified from that stuff. Or possibly just make it so that the character can"t attack another player under any circumstance with that stuff equipped.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Cowbell said:
Not to digress into another HUGE issue but I think it is necessary to have BoE on most items for the reasons above. Granted I do think that having some "twink" items in game would be great. 2 very good examples of great high level twink items that I would love to see again are a haste item like an FBSS and a mana or health regen item like a Fungi tunic. These items would be rare and sellable with no restrictions, level or otherwise.

Again I dont see why you can"t have mostly BoE and BoP items with some twink items at higher lvls. It just makes the game more fun. I LOVED twinking out my guys in EQ. Just dont overdo it like Eq did.

But this is entirely off subject for this page
fbss and fungi tunic were awesome twink items. so was CoF. my all time favorite was when i won a blade of carnage (i think that was the name of it) and gave it to my twink warrior. talk about wrecking shit! i actually liked the idea of twinking in EQ1. it made playing an alt more fun and it was your reward for putting in the time into the game in the first place. but i can see other"s points about needing a system like BoE/BoP to prevent a lot of the problems that occurred in EQ1 with camping.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Twinking in EQ came about as a necessity to combat the long and tedious grind that was levellig up. In a game with a less tedious beginning and more accessible gear that actually helps you it"s not necessary. You can level along in a game like WoW or EQ2 or LotRO etc. and just take quest rewards or equip drops/crafted shit and it"s effective. In EQ you are looking at rusty swords and bronze armor for the first 30 levels.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
BoE is a necessary evil that isn"t all that evil. It"s main purpose is to combat mudflation.
Yes but for the love of all, let us trade them on our own account. All this anti-twinking stuff is rediculous. Twinking is awesome fun.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Twinking also defeats "challenge" which is something people like to claim they want. The two are at odds with each other. If WoW is so easy-mode why would you want to twink? If you claim to want a "hard" game why do you want to make it easier via abnormal item acquisition?

Campa_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
It"s a good idea, but it"s hard to balance.
True, but if it is limited to level"ing content would it really need to be perfectly balanced anyways?? IMO you can afford to let the players be a bit more on the strong side when it comes to leveling content.

Now that"s not to say using a NPC should be insta-win but if can do have a couple little advantages over a player in the same role, I don"t think that would be a very big deal.

For max level stuff, ya it would need to be balanced or maybe not allowed. Though with the trouble it is finding groups today in WoW on my server I sure wouldn"t mind something like this :p

Flight

Molten Core Raider
etchazz said:
i don"t know about "very few" before PoP. people in my guild and friends of mine were boxing since kunark. in fact, i knew a decent amount of people on my server who boxed almost since the beginning. i agree with you that the introduction of AA"s lead to more boxing because people realized it was faster to get AA"s while boxing, but i think it was something that a lot of people were doing long before planes of power was released.
Personally I was boxing before RoK. But I only know of one other person on Bristlebane who was. It certainly enabled me to be the first Myrmidon on the server and, probably, one of the few first server wide a few days days after RoK released. I used to love Kedge; I used to spend so much time there my mates used to joke I charged rent for other people to go there. Boxing certainly took off with PoP and has grown, exponentially, since. I was a Halfling Warrior and boy were Jade Maces uber those first weeks of RoK - my Maces of Dewm we called them. Good times

Campa_foh

shitlord
Bongk said:
Yes but for the love of all, let us trade them on our own account. All this anti-twinking stuff is rediculous. Twinking is awesome fun.
Agreed anything BoE/P should be bind to account IMO. Taking WoW for example and the Heroic Badges. I would LOVE to be able to use my main to get them for an alt. Some classes just have a lot easier time getting groups and so if you have such a character it would be nice to use that to help an alt of yours that serves a less desired role.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I have no opinion on boxing. It"s not fun to me, but to others it is. It doesn"t kill my gameplay. It doesn"t give you an unfair advantage. I can easily access every dungeon just like you. It just takes longer for you and if you can put up with the hassle, good for you. No need to kill that kind of mechanic if you have the money/time/patience.

But c"mon Curt, you 4 boxed EQ2? EQ2??? You EQ boys stick with what you know that"s for sure.

I"m curious though, when did you finally decide to get into the Development business? At what point in your gaming timeline did you decide to do it on your own? Did playing MMO-X make you go, "Who thought this was a good idea?", or "This looks like crap, I can do it better!"? Just curious.

Campa_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Twinking also defeats "challenge" which is something people like to claim they want. The two are at odds with each other. If WoW is so easy-mode why would you want to twink? If you claim to want a "hard" game why do you want to make it easier via abnormal item acquisition?
I seriously doubt anyone cares about "challenge" in WoW 1-60 game today. The general praise of the 2.3 leveling changes suggests that is true to me.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
you twink after you have already done it, it is only challenging to level once. Hence why i said same account meaning, been there , done that.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Ngruk said:
Someone touched on it last page, btw great reads on some of these posts, but duo"ing or boxing. Do you do it? Like it? Hate it? Game play style or cheating?

I will turn away red-faced to admit I was 4 boxing in EQ2, leveled up 4 toons after my main maxed out, to max level.

Thing was, and I didn"t realize it until I tried it in WoW, EQ2 really allowed you to do it rather easily. I am not sure if WoW meant to prohibit it or not, but I tried 2 boxing in WoW and it was a nightmare.

Do a lot of people do it? Is it to level toons or see content you can"t solo?

As another aside, try running 4 Mages and a Priest. Once you have instant cast, spam-able AE DPS and group heals its so much fun it defies description. Also much easier than first appears due to the killing speed of 4 AE Mages - heroics instances are a lot of fun, with the Priest mainting aggro through party heals and using shields to stay alive. And if you want to own PvP Arenas 5 elemental Shaman is hard to beat. Set your main keyboard up to broadcast to all PCs and you are set. With those party set ups its beyond easy and SO much fun.

It just gets hard when you try to do a conventional tank/healer party, with multiple different classes.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I love the idea of BOP/BOE. It cuts down on mudflation and economic inflation or deflation. If you use WOW as an example, there should be more BOE than BOP items from dungeons. Tier set pieces should be BOP a long with Raid Final Boss drops the rest, mostly BOE. I would like to be able to bid on Epic Item A and be able to give it to my alt to use at the appropriate level.

Requiem_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
I think "Again" is the key word here. And twinking is optional; the argument doesn"t hold any water. Want challenge? Don"t twink. Don"t want challenge? Twink. Already did the whole challenge thing and just want to have fun on a ridiculously overpowered character? Twink.

And, the two are NOT at odds with each other. My crazy ass twinks in EQ1 were doing challenging things, just not the same challenging things that people with normal gear were doing at the same levels.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
etchazz said:

Its another vote for the FFXi class system - same toon can level multiple classes. All that redundant gear can actually be useful to you again when you play another class.

Anyone notice a theme yet ?