Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Being cocky has no real plus sides. If the game is good, you will be heralded either way. If it is bad, then you set yourself up to be Romero, Molyneux, McQuaid... and that"s bad. It"s almost unrecoverable. If you are quiet and fail at least you can be humble about it, claim to have learned from your mistakes and then try again.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Being cocky has no real plus sides. If the game is good, you will be heralded either way. If it is bad, then you set yourself up to be Romero, Molyneux, McQuaid... and that"s bad. It"s almost unrecoverable. If you are quiet and fail at least you can be humble about it, claim to have learned from your mistakes and then try again.
Derail, but I don"t think you can put Molyneux in with McQuaid and Romero.

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
You had to google Cal Ripken??? One of the greatest SS to ever play the game of baseball? Has the most continuous game appearances in baseball... was nick named "Iron Man"... just wow ehhe

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Couple things. The latter part of the interview was a semi transcribing of the interview with almost no context. It read horribly in my opinion and some things didn"t come across well.
The famous comment was made in talking about the company, and how I viewed "stars" in this industry and dealt with egos. There is no one in this industry I"ll ever work with that"s 1/10th as famous as some of the men I suited up with, and that"s a fantastic thing when you ask people to check their egos at the door.

The other parts, the cocky stuff, is pretty much spot on but wasn"t really intended to come across the way it did and probably will.
It takes no effort to do things average, or at least minimal effort. I don"t show up in spring training hoping we win some games, or finish in second, you show up expecting to win the world series if the talent is present, which in both cases, 38 Studios, and the Sox clubhouse, it is.

There is no reason what so ever that this company cannot be the best in the world at what it does, none.

Sure there are a million hurdles and lessons to learn along the way, but so what. If you don"t screw up, don"t lose, how do you know what it feels like to kick the crap out of people and win?

I"m biased for sure, but after adding yet another superstar engineer to the team this week I look at our "roster", and I see what these people have done in other companies, I look at the leadership here and the culture, and I am in awe at what we"ve already done and the limitless potential of totally passionate and totally committed to each other team members can accomplish.

I"m banking we"ll shock the world, in a good way, and also that it won"t take a billion dollars to do so. I"m a gamer, a pretty hardcore (FROM A TIME STANDPOINT YOU RAIDING GEEKS!) gamer, I think I understand a lot of things that make games work and don"t work. There isn"t really a non gamer in the company. Regardless of whether a feature is great or not I know it"s beyond me, beyond me liking or not liking things. There are some fantastic features in MMOs that I don"t like, but that doesn"t make them less fantastic.

Are we aiming high? Absolutely. Are we making a "deep throw"? Yep. But we aren"t shooting for something impossible simply because other people think it is.

Oh and please no more "gameplay > graphics" comments here, please. Gameplay > every single other possible item ever thought of or created when you are making a game.

Gameplay is ALL that matters in the end because in that is everything you do to make it.

Cowbell_foh

shitlord
Can we at least say "fast combat" > "slow combat" ?

Not so much for the actual gameplay decision but for the enormity of the idea. This idea wasted 1 year of developement because Brad was too egotistical and stubborn to realize.

Please understand too that most of us followed Vanguard from the very beginning and the ideas and comments from this thread mirror Vanguard almost to a T.

The thing is now we are jaded. We still believe but we know what can happen if there are huge mistakes along the way of game developement.

That and the fact that we like to think we are helping if not in some insignificant way. Perhaps you read a post and think, hey we could do this. I like this idea. But even more than that is when you see 100 posts on a specific topic. We, as a comunity, are just REALLY trying to get that specific point across. I think thats why you see so many gameplay>graphics posts. It is not to insult you. But I will tell you this, you are dealing with a jaded community and are basically behind in the count already even though in your game may be perfect every step of the way. I hope you understand we are not trying to belittle you or condescend. Its just that we"ve seen each of these steps before and really put our hopes to them.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
ngruk, good luck with your project. i hope you take many of the topics here to heart when in the meeting rooms. don"t make another content absorbing wow clone.

i"m looking forward to your game.

Gecko_foh

shitlord
The problem with a win/lose analogy is that the better game and software companies almost never lose. They either win small or win big. These are the Valve"s and Blizzards who rule the roost of gaming.

Part of the reason they sell so well is their longstanding reputation. I think this will be the hardest obstacle to overcome for a new MMO company. Regardless of the power of the game, it"ll still be tough to sell since so many gamers are slow to pickup products, especially from new names. Even games with hooks such as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings aren"t able to easily compete with Blizzard.

Sure, one can be a startup phenomena, but I think a lot of that is timing, such as 989 Studios had with EQ, when there was no competition.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I also disagree. Graphics is so far > Gameplay it hurts. It could have all the meaning in the world and be really difficult to execute killing that bigass Ogre. But if I had to choose between that meaning and ripping its arms off and shitting in the gaping wounds, I"d choose the latter 100% of the time. I have tolookcool to feel cool. Decapitations ala Age of Conan are a BRILLIANT first step into Awesomeville.

And really, Favre v Ripken is the quintessential question of our generation.